gkreidl

Re: Kodi on Ubuntu MATE 15.10

Sat May 21, 2016 10:48 pm

@greenbag:

The 15.2 package for raspbian I built was based on the rpi-backports by popcornmix and he was well aware of it, because we exchanged a number of emails as I had discovered a bug and found a solution which he added to his repository (the ffmpeg patches were not added).
And what about the kodi 15.2 package in Raspbian? These are also binaries.
I think you are talking nonsense.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Kratos

Sat May 21, 2016 11:02 pm

Doing a build using the official instructions so I can share it.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

greenbag

Sun May 22, 2016 12:30 am

gkreidl wrote:@greenbag:

The 15.2 package for raspbian I built was based on the rpi-backports by popcornmix and he was well aware of it, because we exchanged a number of emails as I had discovered a bug and found a solution which he added to his repository (the ffmpeg patches were not added).
And what about the kodi 15.2 package in Raspbian? These are also binaries.
I think you are talking nonsense.
That's not what I asked you. I said, if he had told you he didn't want it released, would you go and do it anyway? I gave Kratos the guide in private pm, I said I didn't want it released as a package.. he did so anyway. Can he show me where I said it was ok? No. He's pretty much proven he's not to be trusted.

As for kodi 15 package in Raspbian.. is this your package, or the official kodi/xbmc repo release? A "binary" is an executable.. nothing else. good grief.. you of all people should know this.

edit: a binary can be an executable, but it is not plain text.. config files, etc.

greenbag

Sun May 22, 2016 12:37 am

If you choose to distribute XBMC Foundation binaries yourself, you should make the latest stable version available (of course, you probably want to do so as well). If you compile XBMC Foundation unmodified source code (including code and config files in the installer) and do not charge for it, you do not need additional permission from XBMC Foundation to use the relevant XBMC Foundation Mark(s) for your compiled version.
I stand corrected.

Snze

Sun May 22, 2016 1:46 am

I've been off having a read, and I'm inclined to agree that a purist interpretation of the Kodi trademark policy does preclude anything other than a build using the sanctioned options spelled out in the README.

But I'm also inclined to think that a .deb built from unaltered source (perhaps even with a few changes to config switches) being posted several pages deep on a hobbyists website, for no financial gain, is very much at the low end of the scale of concern for the Foundation. They're losing a little more sleep over the people conflating the Kodi name with piracy by flogging android 'Kodi boxes' preloaded with copyright infringing add-ons.

Have we got all this in perspective? Seriously? And for pete's sake can we move on from this whole who-did-what... the binaries are down, the guides are down, the apology has been offered, yet the carry-on continues.
Last edited by Snze on Sun May 22, 2016 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kratos

Sun May 22, 2016 1:48 am

If you choose to distribute XBMC Foundation binaries yourself, you should make the latest stable version available (of course, you probably want to do so as well). If you compile XBMC Foundation unmodified source code (including code and config files in the installer) and do not charge for it, you do not need additional permission from XBMC Foundation to use the relevant XBMC Foundation Mark(s) for your compiled version.
YIKES! If I have to include the source code, the package size will be HUGE!

Kratos

Kratos

Sun May 22, 2016 1:49 am

Snze wrote:I've been off having a read, and I'm inclined to agree that a purist interpretation of the Kodi trademark policy does preclude anything other than a build using the sanctioned options spelled out in the README.

But I'm also inclined to think that a .deb built from unaltered source (perhaps even with a few changes to config switches) being posted several pages deep on a hobbyists website, for no financial gain, is very much at the low end of the scale of concern for the Foundation. They're losing a little more sleep over the people conflating the Kodi name with piracy by flogging android 'Kodi boxes' preloaded with copyright infringing add-ons.

Have we got all this in perspective? Seriously?
I would rather play it safe than get hauled to jail...

I contacted support over at Kodi. I shall see what they say.

Kratos

Snze

Sun May 22, 2016 1:58 am

Kratos wrote:I contacted support over at Kodi. I shall see what they say
Yeah, I thought I saw a post on the forum over there that looked like it might be yours..!

I don't think you have to include the source itself... But I'm not sure, cos that Trademark Policy page is a beast to get clear in your head, isn't it!! :lol:

Kratos

Sun May 22, 2016 2:05 am

Snze wrote:
Kratos wrote:I contacted support over at Kodi. I shall see what they say
Yeah, I thought I saw a post on the forum over there that looked like it might be yours..!

I don't think you have to include the source itself... But I'm not sure, cos that Trademark Policy page is a beast to get clear in your head, isn't it!! :lol:
Lol, yeah, sorta like reading the terms to a program you're installing on Windows. Seen some over 20 pages! Who wants to read that?

Wow, you must be Superman or something, you're everywhere! Yup, it was probably me. (I could not think of an original username, so I went with Mr. Klunk :lol: .)

Kratos

Snze

Sun May 22, 2016 2:15 am

I think greenbag says he does :) ... don't want to get into some kind of humancentiPad type situation, so makes sense!

Yep, everywhere except bed, it seems! I guess when you're looking at the same question, you go to the same places for the answers...

(...and you had 'Maintainer: root@klunker' in your deb control file - yes, I do need to get out more!)

Kratos

Sun May 22, 2016 2:27 am

Good detective work! I wondered if you would figure that out. Nothing is secret from Superman... :lol:

Kratos

Kratos

Sun May 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Using the official docs, this is what it comes up with:

Code: Select all

------------------------
  Kodi Configuration:
------------------------
  Kodi Version:	17.0-ALPHA2
  git Rev.:	20160521-032f810
  Debugging:	Yes
  Profiling:	No
  Optimization:	Yes
  SWIG Available:	Yes
  JRE Available:	Yes
  Doxygen Available:	Yes
  Crosscomp.:	No
  target ARCH:	arm
  target CPU:	cortex-a7
  OpenGLES:	Yes
  ALSA:		Yes
  DBUS:		Yes
  VDPAU:	No
  VAAPI:	No
  OpenMax:	No
  X11:		No
  Bluray:	Yes
  TexturePacker:Yes
  MID Support:	No
  ccache:	Yes
  ALSA Support:	Yes
  PulseAudio:	Yes
  Google Test Framework Configured:	Yes
  Google Breakpad Configured:	No
  Avahi:	Yes
  mDNSEmbedded:	No
  Non-free:	Yes
  MySQL:	Yes
  Webserver:	Yes
  libssh support:	Yes
  libRTMP support:	Yes
  libsmbclient support:	Yes
  libnfs client support:Yes
  AirPlay support:	Yes
  AirTunes support:	No
  UPnP support:		Yes
  Optical drive:	No
  libudev support:	Yes
  libusb support:	No
  libcec support:	Yes
  libbluetooth support:	Yes
  libcap support:	Yes
  additional players:	Yes, omxplayer
  additional codecs:	No
  prefix:	/usr/local
------------------------
Why is non-free enabled on an official build, following all the official docs?!

Kratos

gkreidl

Sun May 22, 2016 5:10 pm

run configure -h. It will show which options are enabled or disabled by default and which are enabled automatically when the matching libraries (-dev packages) are installed.

In my view there is no "official options" list for the RPi, just a recommendation for building.

The problem with the non-free parts is, that they might not match the GPL license.

kodi uses GPL2. There are some trade mark restrictions for distributing modified packages (with modified sources) without their consent.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

Kratos

Mon May 23, 2016 9:12 pm

The latest Kodi 17 build:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2vdsV ... sp=sharing

Unfortunalty, there is NO PVR support :cry: . (Working on changing this, tvheadend is still available here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2vdsV ... sp=sharing). That would require changing the source code, making it somewhat iffy to distritbute it. Also, you MUST havat least 256 MB set for for the GPU. I tried to run it smoothly at 128 MB, it doesn't work. EDIT: It was actually 64 MB where it did not work. I have not tried 128 MB yet. Hopefully this will be my final release :P ! Let me know if you have issues!

Kratos

Snze

Tue May 24, 2016 7:15 am

Brilliant - thanks Kratos! :P

Fwiw, I've split the difference on gpu_mem at 160, which seems ok (but I don't know if you have to step up in powers of 2 for it to take the value as specified though...)

edit: htop tells me I've 830MB of RAM available, which suggests 194MB has been reserved for GPU?

Kratos

Tue May 24, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it! I did read somewhere that, for best performance, you should step the GPU memory up by powers of 2. Kodi 17 really looks sweet with a 4k background instead of the *cough* blah *cough* blue background.

About the RAM free thing, I am not sure if the amount available is exactly 1 GB
Kratos

gkreidl

Tue May 24, 2016 2:20 pm

Kratos wrote:Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it! I did read somewhere that, for best performance, you should step the GPU memory up by powers of 2. Kodi 17 really looks sweet with a 4k background instead of the *cough* blah *cough* blue background.

About the RAM free thing, I am not sure if the amount available is exactly 1 GB
Kratos
Read somewhere?
Full HD video decoding & display requires 128 MB + another 32 MB for the user interface (OpenGL ES) = 160 MB are OK.
I'm using 256 MB myself, but only because I'm running additional software on the GPU (video transcoding, sometimes at the same time).

Kratos

Wed May 25, 2016 3:27 pm

For some reason I can only build one PVR into the source code. Does anyone have any tips for building a .deb file from PVR source code? Thanks!

Kratos

Kratos

Wed May 25, 2016 4:15 pm

Nevermind, figured it out.

Kratos

Kratos

Wed May 25, 2016 8:55 pm

Just thought I'd ask: Which PVR ad dons do you guys want me to build in? I have built IPTVSimple and the HTS ones in. Do you guys want any other ones as well? Thanks!

Kratos

Grubby

Thu May 26, 2016 2:17 am

Hello Kratos ... many thanks for the extraordinary efforts you have made. Are there any plans to reinstate the master guide that was deleted a few days ago? I'm a linux novice and have no idea how to gget kodi up and running once the .deb file has been installed.

Kratos

Thu May 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Sorry for the hassle. I am working on it. The guide will be up again soon.

Kratos

Kratos

Thu May 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Refer to the very first post for all the details. Sorry to all those who need PVR support. I have never used it, which makes trying to figure out if it works very hard. I might, very small might, release the PVR stuff if I figure it out.

Kratos

gkreidl

Thu May 26, 2016 3:41 pm

The PVR add-ons from pipplware might work.

Kratos

Thu May 26, 2016 6:06 pm

OK, I will give that a shot. Thanks for the idea!

Kratos

Return to “Media centres”