Jednorozec

Re: PiZero Roadmap

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:33 pm

My cat has almost died from curiosity. :cry:
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

Pithagoros

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Zzed wrote:Good morning, I am part of the staff of the Italian Community site of the Raspberry Pi users (http://www.raspberryitaly.com). I wanted to highlight the situation to the outside of the UK or USA. For us Italians, buy a Pi Zero is not convenient. And we are still in the EU. For a device to be $ 5, we are required of us 25/28 $ as shipping cost. A Raspberry Pi 2 costs the same on Amazon, a Pi 3, a few dollars more .. Everyone wants Pi Zero, no one can buy. A computer at $ 5 could be a revolution, but this limited distribution, is penalizing it. At least for the sites and user communities in the world, you could think of some form of relief (such as the ability to buy 50 or 100 or a whole box, which then would be redistributed locally between users).
Regards
I would be happy to send a Zero to you by standard air post, I have done this for other friendly people in Italy and Spain already. I suspect, however, in this case you are looking for a larger quantity.

Pithagoros

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Don't worry about the new feature, it's really not life or death that we know. I got a bit bored of the teasing a while ago, I just decided to forget about it. It will be here when it's here.

mikerr

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:35 pm

jamesh wrote:AFAIK, the limited distribution is not down to the Foundation, but to the price, which is so low that most people don't want to supply it.
I strongly suspect it's not the low price, more to do with the attached terms ( 1 per customer)

Distributors appear to have to keep to:

a) strict policy of 1 per customer
b) must sell some single units at RRP
c) sell in a bundle with massively overpriced accessories :)

Last is a joke - but that's how current disties are getting round it....
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

NetSecond

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:54 pm

@eupton
BBTF (butter by the fish *lol*): What is this mysterious most wanted new Feature?

Or when will we see it 1st time?
Gruß / Regards
NetSecond

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:11 pm

jamesh wrote:I doubt it will have made it to the shops for the weekend.

Feature will be announced when enough have been manufactured to sate demand. i.e. lots.
I'm sorry, but you really shouldn't hand me straight lines...

So..."enough to meet demand"? Doesn't that mean we'll find out some time around the end of this year? If we're lucky?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:26 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:I doubt it will have made it to the shops for the weekend.

Feature will be announced when enough have been manufactured to sate demand. i.e. lots.
I'm sorry, but you really shouldn't hand me straight lines...

So..."enough to meet demand"? Doesn't that mean we'll find out some time around the end of this year? If we're lucky?
Let's just say yes, so we can drop the subject! Then if anything turns up any sooner, it'll be a nice surprise. You know - a 'good thing'.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:32 pm

mikerr wrote:
jamesh wrote:AFAIK, the limited distribution is not down to the Foundation, but to the price, which is so low that most people don't want to supply it.
I strongly suspect it's not the low price, more to do with the attached terms ( 1 per customer)

Distributors appear to have to keep to:

a) strict policy of 1 per customer
b) must sell some single units at RRP
c) sell in a bundle with massively overpriced accessories :)

Last is a joke - but that's how current disties are getting round it....
I'm not sure about the one per customer thing being a Foundation requirement, more of a trying to get it out to as many different people as possible. It is true that the profit margin on the Zero is tiny, so it's not surprising the bigger disties don't seem to be interested.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:34 pm

texy wrote:
MikeDunn wrote: However, it has come to be realised that this is not the case. It is now along the lines of next Monday, or more likely some indeterminate time in the future ... that has pushed this from "a bit of fun" to "why did you bother mentioning it so far in advance ?".
A case of the Foundation being damned if they do, damned if they don't. OK, so stocks of the zero have relatively trickled through, but if they had stopped altogether, with no notice, then more eyebrows would be raised. At least there is an explanation why production (of current version) has stopped altogether - ready for a large initial hit of availability of the new version.
Texy
There are actually two factors here. The first--the production announcement--isn't causing any problems. The date for restarting production was stated and the time to go from re-start of production to availability is *comparatively* easy to estimate and is not controversial.

The second factor is the problem. That is dropping the hint about there being a new feature, allowing speculation to run rampant (much of which has been too silly for words), creating something of an (unstated) expectation about when the other shoe will drop...and then not dropping that shoe.

People may be planning projects for which they need to obtain additional equipment. That may be scheduled (time, place, budget, lead times). Leaving them without knowing how the new feature may affect their projects is a real problem and they're going to be cranky about it.

jamesh

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Hmm, Mods vote, thread closed.

Please don't open a new one. Just wait for a week or two.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”