mattmiller

PiZero Roadmap

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:17 am

Now that all the hoo-hah has died down and people are more relaxed, I was wondering if someone with some real knowledge (Liz? Eben?) would mind giving us some sort of broad idea of possible Pi Zero wider availability?

Matthew

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: PiZero Roadmap

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:21 am

Meesah too... inquiring minds want to know... !
:shock:
marcus
:ugeek:

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:26 am

mattmiller wrote:Now that all the hoo-hah has died down and people are more relaxed, I was wondering if someone with some real knowledge (Liz? Eben?) would mind giving us some sort of broad idea of possible Pi Zero wider availability?

Matthew
I'm not sure 'relaxed' is the right word. More like 'resigned'.

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:29 am

Forris wrote:
mattmiller wrote:Now that all the hoo-hah has died down and people are more relaxed, I was wondering if someone with some real knowledge (Liz? Eben?) would mind giving us some sort of broad idea of possible Pi Zero wider availability?

Matthew
I'm not sure 'relaxed' is the right word. More like 'resigned'.
Or, exasperated... :oops:
marcus
:ugeek:

NicoVanDerDussen

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:54 am

Check this website - it shows who has stock

http://nvdd.info/1ROCvYy

It would be great to have some more info from the people in the know?

Did you achieve your production targets? I know this would be a great one for the Raspberry Pi Foundation!
Setting up your Raspberry Pi to work with a 3G dongle http://nvdd.info/11gKrsZ

mattmiller

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:15 am

Keep it positive folks - no negativity :-) Looking for an informed response :-)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:28 am

Checked, no news.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

eupton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 am

A quick update.

Raspberry PI Zero production is restarting in Wales next Monday after a hiatus to allow us to focus on Raspberry Pi 3 (a million units built and counting :D). We have placed 250ku of new orders, and are aiming to produce at least 50ku/month for the rest of this year. Distribution will continue to be via Pimoroni, Pi Hut, Adafruit and Micro Center for now.

To thank you for your patience, we've taken advantage of the hiatus to add a (much requested) new feature. I'll leave you all to guess what it is (it's not WiFi).

6by9

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:23 am

eupton wrote:To thank you for your patience, we've taken advantage of the hiatus to add a (much requested) new feature. I'll leave you all to guess what it is (it's not WiFi).
That's just mean! How could you add 4GB of RAM to the Zero and not the Pi3?! And the bundled unicorn too.

(sits back and watches the debate - I've seen the firmware update so know the answer :D )
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

eupton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:25 am

One more thing: previously it actually took more manpower to test a Zero than it did to test a B+/2B/3B. Sony have now implemented automated test for Zero so their maximum output rate (previously ~10ku a week) is now much higher.

NicoVanDerDussen

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:58 am

Excellent news!
Setting up your Raspberry Pi to work with a 3G dongle http://nvdd.info/11gKrsZ

PiGraham

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:20 pm

eupton wrote:To thank you for your patience, we've taken advantage of the hiatus to add a (much requested) new feature. I'll leave you all to guess what it is (it's not WiFi).
My guess is GPIO pins fitted. That requires no redesign, and I've seen lots of complaints about having to solder to use GPIO.

If it is I hope a version without pins will still be available. It would be a shame to lose the minimal size of the bare Pi0. It's much easier to add pins than remove them.

gregeric

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:26 pm

PiGraham wrote:
My guess is GPIO pins fitted. That requires no redesign, and I've seen lots of complaints about having to solder to use GPIO.

If it is I hope a version without pins will still be available. It would be a shame to lose the minimal size of the bare Pi0. It's much easier to add pins than remove them.
According to 6by9's post above, the change is witnessed in firmware, so pins-fitted is likely not what Eben was referring to.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:35 pm

Good point!
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:36 pm

The ZERO as a USB Slave Option in Jessie ?
Retired disgracefully.....

Massi

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:37 pm

damn, probably i do not need this new feature, but i definitely want a raspi 0.1 :lol: :lol:

PiGraham

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:38 pm

gregeric wrote:According to 6by9's post above, the change is witnessed in firmware, so pins-fitted is likely not what Eben was referring to.
Ah yes. Now that's intriguing. What likely change would require a firmware mod? Not GPIO or audio. WiFi already ruled out. CSI port is apparently a major thing all round so not likely. Unless 6by9's remark is a red herring.

PiGraham

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:41 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:The ZERO as a USB Slave Option in Jessie ?
Isn't it already an option? What have I missed?

gregeric

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:42 pm

PiGraham wrote:
gregeric wrote:According to 6by9's post above, the change is witnessed in firmware, so pins-fitted is likely not what Eben was referring to.
Ah yes. Now that's intriguing. What likely change would require a firmware mod? Not GPIO or audio. WiFi already ruled out. CSI port is apparently a major thing all round so not likely. Unless 6by9's remark is a red herring.
Could be audio pins broken out. Could be camera connector. Could be SDIO pins ready for WiFi. Anything that would see a pin mux change in dt-blob.bin

Massi

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:42 pm

adding a csi port to the Zero's pcb is not something that can be done easily (at least, they also said this..)
maybe a hole in the pcb, drilled manually by Eben, to make the antenna reachable? :)

PiGraham

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:44 pm

gregeric wrote:
PiGraham wrote:
Could be audio pins broken out. Could be camera connector. Could be SDIO pins ready for WiFi. Anything that would see a pin mux change in dt-blob.bin
Is dt-blob.bin counted as firmware?

CSI or DSI connector would be very popular features, but they are left of for good PCB layout reasons.
Unless RPF has worked miracles on the CAD it seems very unlikely. Still, we can hope.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 pm

PiGraham wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:The ZERO as a USB Slave Option in Jessie ?
Isn't it already an option? What have I missed?
Possibly is, but not afaiaa easy for newbies to implement !!!!
Retired disgracefully.....

6by9

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:59 pm

Did anyone bring popcorn? :D
PiGraham wrote:Is dt-blob.bin counted as firmware?
Providing dt-blob.bin in /boot is optional - there's a default version baked into start[|_x|_cd].elf. A change in the default GPIO setup would therefore be reflected in a start.elf update.
(That is neither confirming nor denying any information about the new feature, just clarifying facts on how things are set up).
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Massi

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:01 pm

will it be a "simple" software new feature (lan boot? usb boot?) or something hardware? :lol:

hippy

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Presumably whatever is added is a zero cost option or something whose cost can be absorbed by savings made elsewhere in production and assembly ... unless the price is set to rise.

My guess would be something mundane like a power LED, or perhaps adding a video+audio jack or just analogue audio headers. It could be the provision of USB/PXE booting.

I can't really recall what others have been asking for. Pre-fitted GPIO has cropped up but I think it would actually be a negative for makers to do that, though perhaps of benefit to others.

Adding full battery management and low power modes would be nice.

Return to “General discussion”