Darkdally

Hi :) I'm new here, couple questions

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:20 am

Hi all!

I'm new to the Rpi in about every way. I used to code when I was in high school, 20 years ago lol, when java was just coming out, so as you may imagine - for all intents and purposes I'm a complete noobie. Which is why I got a Raspberry Pi. If it can help grade school kids learn to program, then it can help me get back into the scene, right? lol

So I got a pi 3, (I've never used a Linux OS, but I'm working on learning it lol), and I hooked it up to a spare screen I have sitting around; this 26" 1080i tv from like 10 years ago that's been gathering dust in my attic. Well it all looks fine as it's booting up, but as soon as the Rasbian GUI loads, poof, something wonky happened with the resolution, and... well it's like it's 640x480 or something - the two icons I can see on the screen are super huge, and the rest of the desktop is off the screen and inaccessible.

I'm a total noobie, but i figured out how to pull up the... what is it called, terminal emulator i think? so that I can type in commands. I do some searching online, and see that I can edit the boot log or w/e it's called (sorry, don't have it all in front of me atm) to change the resolution, but it says it's read-only and won't let me save changes. Every fix for this I saw involved me editing this file and it won't let me.

I figure I could put the SD card in my PC and change the file there? Or, and really preferably, just find a different screen. I don't need a 26" tv to play with my pi, it's just that that's what I had laying around. Is there a better, affordable screen that would work with the pi better? Is there a way to fix my desktop so that i can actually use my new toy and have fun with it? lol gotta admit I was a little frustrated when I unboxed my little pi and found that I couldn't use it :(

Thanks guys!

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Hi :) I'm new here, couple questions

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:46 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
So the file you needed to edit was the config.txt file which lives on the boot partition. The reason you couldn't edit it successfully was because you needed admin rights to save it.
You need to type this

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
(sudo gives you the rights, nano is the editor).
For more information on getting the screen set up correctly, see this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5851

Hope this helps,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

LetHopeItsSnowing

Re: Hi :) I'm new here, couple questions

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:20 am

Being new to linux and the command line...

If your using nano to edit a file, the first command you will need is CTRL + X - which exits and saves your changes.

Martin
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

Return to “Beginners”