kusti8

Re: RPi-youtube, smooth youtube videos on Chromium

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:07 am

Nickcn wrote:hmm, perhaps i will wait on this. I have minimal issues running youtube in chromium.
https://youtu.be/CBLOIvGPJN0
:D
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

kusti8

Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:24 pm

A much simpler version which should work very well using omxplayerGUI has been tested. I'm simply waiting on confirmation of a few questions and the latest version to be released. This version should work much better.

kusti8

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:15 pm

Now with omxplayerGUI, everything should work fine!

kusti8

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:28 am

I've now updated the extension to support over 300 sites. Simply click on the extension at the top right and after a few seconds it should appear. The update will appear on the web store soon. :)

Rascas

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:41 am

Why to install an extra browser (KWeb) in a Chrome/Chromium extension ? KWeb is great, but shouldn't be needed.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:46 am

Rascas wrote:Why to install an extra browser (KWeb) in a Chrome/Chromium extension ? KWeb is great, but shouldn't be needed.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

gkreidl

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:46 am

Please don't use the new install script yet. It will result in a broken kweb installation (needed for omxplayerGUI). I've already sent kusti8 an email with the changes needed.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

gkreidl

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:52 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Rascas wrote:Why to install an extra browser (KWeb) in a Chrome/Chromium extension ? KWeb is great, but shouldn't be needed.

OmxPlayerGUI is not kweb, it is an open-source GUI for OmxPlayer, one of several GUI's available...
omxplayerGUI is part of the kweb package. It is not available separately. You don't have to use kweb, if you don't want to, but it is required to edit the settings of omxplayerGUI on a special web page using kweb's application interface, which would not work in any other browser. And both programs (kweb and omxplayerGUI) share the same environment (helper scripts and so on).
So you really need the whole package if you want to use omxplayerGUI.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

gkreidl

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:05 am

Perhaps a few more words about the choice of omxplayerGUI for this extension:
omxplayerGUI has the web video extraction built in. So kusti8's extension can work in a similar way than the "Play" button in kweb and play web video from about 600 websites and also from all websites using HTML5 videos with omxplayer(GUI).

Rascas

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:07 am

gkreidl wrote:omxplayerGUI is part of the kweb package. It is not available separately. You don't have to use kweb, if you don't want to, but it is required to edit the settings of omxplayerGUI on a special web page using kweb's application interface, which would not work in any other browser. And both programs (kweb and omxplayerGUI) share the same environment (helper scripts and so on).
Well, then omxplayergui should be made as a standalone program. I think that only the options within the GUI are sufficient for this extension for now. With the support of all the sites supported by youtube-dl, it makes this extension very usefull. That shouldn't be to hard too be made. I can take a look at that if you want.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:15 am

gkreidl wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

OmxPlayerGUI is not kweb, it is an open-source GUI for OmxPlayer, one of several GUI's available...
omxplayerGUI is part of the kweb package. It is not available separately. You don't have to use kweb, if you don't want to, but it is required to edit the settings of omxplayerGUI on a special web page using kweb's application interface, which would not work in any other browser. And both programs (kweb and omxplayerGUI) share the same environment (helper scripts and so on).
Apologies I should not try and answer so early in the morning :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

gkreidl

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:22 am

Rascas wrote:
gkreidl wrote:omxplayerGUI is part of the kweb package. It is not available separately. You don't have to use kweb, if you don't want to, but it is required to edit the settings of omxplayerGUI on a special web page using kweb's application interface, which would not work in any other browser. And both programs (kweb and omxplayerGUI) share the same environment (helper scripts and so on).
Well, then omxplayergui should be made as a standalone program. I think that only the options within the GUI are sufficient for this extension for now. With the support of all the sites supported by youtube-dl, it makes this extension very usefull. That shouldn't be to hard too be made. I can take a look at that if you want.
I've been considering this a while ago, when I published version 1.5 which contained contained the first version of 0mxpayerGUI, but decided against it. Believe me, there are a lot of reasons for this.
And what's the problem with having two more binaries of 46 KB installed?
And the additional settings are required. One of my beta testers had a problem with using analog audio, for example, and things like that can only be solved with the additional settings.
And I really don't like the idea of people using a split off version that doesn't match the manual. I've always put a lot of effort into providing a good documentation, something which most developers don't care about.

Rascas

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:41 am

First I would like to say that I only saw your previous post now, after the work is done.

I made a fork of Kusti8 RPi-Chromium extension, with the intention to remove KWeb dependency and make omxplayerGUI work independently. This was more to see if it would require much work to be done, and if not, to make a pull request to kusti8 master branch. Well, it didn't took to much work, and the fork seems to be working equally good as the original without kweb.

https://github.com/diogomsantos/RPi-chromium

But since I don't have much time to maintain this alone for future changes, and you seem to be against of making omxplayerGUI independant, I don't want to go against your will and make a pull request.

gkreidl

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:07 am

Rascas wrote:First I would like to say that I only saw your previous post now, after the work is done.

I made a fork of Kusti8 RPi-Chromium extension, with the intention to remove KWeb dependency and make omxplayerGUI work independently. This was more to see if it would require much work to be done, and if not, to make a pull request to kusti8 master branch. Well, it didn't took to much work, and the fork seems to be working equally good as the original without kweb.

https://github.com/diogomsantos/RPi-chromium

But since I don't have much time to maintain this alone for future changes, and you seem to be against of making omxplayerGUI independant, I don't want to go against your will and make a pull request.
Thanks for trying to understand my point of view, Rascas.
Your script would stop working tomorrow anyway, because I'll publish kweb-1.7.0 tomorrow and all beta versions will be removed from the server. I've sent kusti8 all the details already so that he can adapt his script (and fix an installation problem).

kusti8

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:35 am

Now that I've finally woken up...

Everything is ready for once 1.7.0 is released and I just released it a little early. A branch exists with all the necessary updates and works well in my tests. Kweb will be installed just because it would be too much work as you said to maintain a special version of OmxplayerGUI.

kusti8

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:47 am

That branch has now been merged into master. Everything should work fine.

mathboy4life

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:21 pm

Also can you make the script test to see if your're on an older version of chromium and then updates to the latest chromium version?
i see you have an if statement to test if chromium browser is installed.

kusti8

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:06 pm

mathboy4life wrote:Also can you make the script test to see if your're on an older version of chromium and then updates to the latest chromium version?
I will see what I can do.

kusti8

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:08 pm

kusti8 wrote:
mathboy4life wrote:Also can you make the script test to see if your're on an older version of chromium and then updates to the latest chromium version?
I will see what I can do.
Done, check the Chromium page.

Rascas

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:16 am

kusti8 wrote:Now that I've finally woken up...

Everything is ready for once 1.7.0 is released and I just released it a little early. A branch exists with all the necessary updates and works well in my tests. Kweb will be installed just because it would be too much work as you said to maintain a special version of OmxplayerGUI.
Ok.
I with the help of some friends, develop a Linux distribution based on Raspbian in our free time and we are interested in include something like that, that was the main reason of my first comment. In the matter of fact we already had a similar Chromium extension, but yours is more polished now. So its very likely that we will include a fork of this, but using another player/GUI, hope you don't mind. Thanks for your work.

kusti8

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:07 pm

Rascas wrote:
kusti8 wrote:Now that I've finally woken up...

Ok.
I with the help of some friends, develop a Linux distribution based on Raspbian in our free time and we are interested in include something like that, that was the main reason of my first comment. In the matter of fact we already had a similar Chromium extension, but yours is more polished now. So its very likely that we will include a fork of this, but using another player/GUI, hope you don't mind. Thanks for your work.
;)

It should be very easy to change the GUI, if you can find one you like, just replace it at the end of run_omxplayer.py and in install.sh

gkreidl

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Works nicely. Just tested it on youtube and vimeo.

For people who are new to omxplayerGUI (and this a new feature of the kweb/omxplayerGUI 1.7.0 version published yesterday):
You can speed up the video extraction time (player start) by 2-3 seconds, if you run the ytdl-api-server. Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

ytdl_server.py
This is especially useful, if you want to watch many videos.
If you're through with your video session, just close the terminal window again.

Rascas

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:35 pm

kusti8 wrote: ;)

It should be very easy to change the GUI, if you can find one you like, just replace it at the end of run_omxplayer.py and in install.sh
Sure, its pretty easy, already done that in my fork. We will use Ubeify, easier to maintain, cleaner, and better option in our opinion ;)

typxxi

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:09 pm

may be this might be the wrong place, but I came here along from the gkreidl OP about KODI on raspbian (JESSI).

Now that chromium is running I am looking for a solution for my father who will start using the raspi from kodi but soon will love to have his bookmarks inside a browser on his new (Smart) TV, which does everything somehow smart, but in detail nothing perfect enough ... (LG OS2)

I have a current raspbian and the Kodi 15 implementation on rasberry pi 2 B.

I am looking for a KODI add on to direct start chromium and turn back to KODI after closing chromium.

Do you see a way or workaround to start chromium from KODI ?

Thx.
WOLF

typxxi

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:42 pm

PROBLEM: I started installing chromium today on 2 different systems (2B + 3B) in 2 ways.

Raspberry Pi 3 B works fine with the way you described here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195&hilit=chrome

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87113035/chromium-browser-l10n_48.0.2564.82-0ubuntu0.15.04.1.1193_all.deb
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87113035/chromium-browser_48.0.2564.82-0ubuntu0.15.04.1.1193_armhf.deb
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87113035/chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_48.0.2564.82-0ubuntu0.15.04.1.1193_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_48.0.2564.82-0ubuntu0.15.04.1.1193_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i chromium-browser-l10n_48.0.2564.82-0ubuntu0.15.04.1.1193_all.deb chromium-browser_48.0.2564.82-0ubuntu0.15.04.1.1193_armhf.deb
But on my Modelll 2B I have now already installed the implementation of this OP for a second time. First Chromium starts fine and I was able to start the login and add on installation both times successfully. But when I reboot my 2B runs into problems cause x11vnc did not start - a pain if you are working headless.

This aftenoon I already picked my backup from tonight and restored everything and had to make all the other changes from the morning.
When I had finished the restore and changes I rebooted and everything worked fine.

Then I started the installation along this OP and again I lost my headless access to the pi 2b.
Only remote desktop is still running. I am currently not familiar to find or look into the log that normally runs on the hdmi screen while booting. I think you want to have a look into these logs but therefore I need to know where I could find or search.

I hope you have a quick answer because otherwise I will loose the logs due to restore because that is for me the easiest and fastest way.

Thx
UPDATE: I tried this sudo apt-get install bootlogd but got an error that the system is only "readable". Same happens if I try "cd smb" and hit the "tab" key to get a suggestion / completion of the folder name: error only readable filesystem.
Last edited by typxxi on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOLF

Return to “General discussion”