willrandship

Re: gpu propietary

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm also interested in the idea of GPU programming ie CUDA but I'm guessing that would require Broadcom to include it in the closed-source portion of their firmware.

Do they have it?

bnolsen

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:01 am

I can see people messing with the rpi to build otheros applications like exokernels, etc. Having access to the gpu itself could easily make the rpi the premier hardware platform for any and all OS development research and even simple commercial prototyping.

I really do hope that some way will exist to allow anyone access via opengles 2.0

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 am

Quote from bnolsen on September 28, 2011, 05:01
I can see people messing with the rpi to build otheros applications like exokernels, etc. Having access to the gpu itself could easily make the rpi the premier hardware platform for any and all OS development research and even simple commercial prototyping.

I really do hope that some way will exist to allow anyone access via opengles 2.0

Standard Linux libs for OpenGL ES 2 and Open VG will be provided to give instant accelerated 3D gratification.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

david13lt

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:29 am

It's a pity that we will not have OpenCL or any other available framework for GPU based computation. If you have to crunch numbers, vector based operations would help a lot. I think, that OpenCV was working on bringing OpenCL support (there was a project offer for GSoC '11).

It would be definitely fun to play with the GPU, but I guess we should be happy that it can do 1080p and Quake3 :)

jamesh

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:52 am

I really have no idea how much work is involved in do a OpenCL implementation for a custom (and proprietary) instruction set - my gut feeling is 'a lot'. If anyone has any links or comments on what is involved I would be interested to see/hear.

Would be good to see for the Videocore, but only likely if Broadcom see a market for it - no point in spending a lot of money with no return. Not a good business decision!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Svartalf

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Quote from jamesh on September 28, 2011, 11:52
I really have no idea how much work is involved in do a OpenCL implementation for a custom (and proprietary) instruction set - my gut feeling is 'a lot'. If anyone has any links or comments on what is involved I would be interested to see/hear.

Would be good to see for the Videocore, but only likely if Broadcom see a market for it - no point in spending a lot of money with no return. Not a good business decision!

You're already doing OpenCL after a fashion with GLSL. OpenCL merely ignores the rendering aspects and focuses on compute kernels that people concocted with GLSL and HLSL. It was a logical extension of things once people figured out that they could mis-use shader programming to do specific computation tasks.

I can't for certain say that it'd be a market for them...yet... But I'm aiming to see what one can do with them for the purposes of furthering CS education at the least.

Return to “Off topic discussion”