DougieLawson

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 4.1.xx+

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi Mr E, can you build for your modules for 4.4.5-v7+ #856. Thanks.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

MrEngman

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:00 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Hi Mr E, can you build for your modules for 4.4.5-v7+ #856. Thanks.
Hi Dougie,

Should be available now. You're rather lucky as there seems to be a weird problem with the clone of the raspberry pi Linux repo I use and most of the commits for 4.4.x seems to be no longer accessible for some reason. Luckily, however, the last two for 4.4.5 are working at the moment. Bit of a pain as I'm trying to update the compiled drivers for the commits that appeared while I was away and this is cause me real headache.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Thank you. I'd had some problems with the install-wifi shell script not finding updates, so I've hacked a version with hard-coded kernel revision and build.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

MrEngman

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:06 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Thank you. I'd had some problems with the install-wifi shell script not finding updates, so I've hacked a version with hard-coded kernel revision and build.
I seem to remember having an issue with generating certain filenames a while back and made an update. Could be you've got the same issue. What was the driver kernel version you were trying to download when you had the problem?

I've downloaded an updated version which may fix the issue if it's the same I had. It also now handles drivers for 8188eu, 8192eu, 8812au, mt7601, mt7610 and mt7612 wifi modules.

Not sure if you are aware but it can check for an update if you are looking at using rpi-update and if you only have the Pi connected to your network using wifi can update the driver after running rpi-update but before rebooting so the Pi should come back up with the wifi running with the updated kernel. Especially useful with the Pi A/A+.

Download from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... ifi.tar.gz

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:46 pm

MrEngman wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Thank you. I'd had some problems with the install-wifi shell script not finding updates, so I've hacked a version with hard-coded kernel revision and build.
I seem to remember having an issue with generating certain filenames a while back and made an update. Could be you've got the same issue. What was the driver kernel version you were trying to download when you had the problem?
It's 4.4.4-v7+ that's had problems, I think 4.4.3-v7+ was also a PITA.

Edit: the RPF folks broke/fixed rpi-update so now there's 4.4.5-v7+ #857 that needs a module built.

rpifreeze

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:23 pm

MrEngman wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Hi Mr E, can you build for your modules for 4.4.5-v7+ #856. Thanks.
Bit of a pain as I'm trying to update the compiled drivers for the commits that appeared while I was away and this is cause me real headache.
MrEngman
Could we know how you compile these modules, or is it your secret ?
I'm asking because I want to try some newer kernel (not the ones offered by foundation), and I suppose Your modules are only for official kernels, right ?
usb and broadcom issues will never be solved...Too much time passed, too much to be done...

fgimenez

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:38 pm

After a long time compiling my own module I've now switched to the one on this forum.
Great work MrEngman!

I have just one question. Maybe it was already asked in the previous 43 pages. If it was asked before maybe you should consider adding a comment on the first post about it.
The question is:
Is there any way of getting the led to blink with traffic like it did on version 4.1.8 ?

I think you told me once that it was blinking for you, but for me it just stays on. Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks!

MrEngman

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:11 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
MrEngman wrote:
It's 4.4.4-v7+ that's had problems, I think 4.4.3-v7+ was also a PITA.

Edit: the RPF folks broke/fixed rpi-update so now there's 4.4.5-v7+ #857 that needs a module built.
The problem I had was with kernel versions containing the number "7" but I fixed that in my script. Removing the "-v7" from the kernel version also removed any other 7's. Changing the script fixed it.

Usually when I compile drivers as part of the testing to ensure they work I will upload the files to Dropbox and then update my Pi's and install the updated driver from Dropbox. I don't usually have any problems and didn't see any with the 4.4.x drivers. Could have been a problem with Dropbox as I was in Dubai then and the connection to Dropbox was a bit iffy so it's possible that could have been part of the problem.

MrEngman

MrEngman

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

fgimenez wrote:After a long time compiling my own module I've now switched to the one on this forum.
Great work MrEngman!

I have just one question. Maybe it was already asked in the previous 43 pages. If it was asked before maybe you should consider adding a comment on the first post about it.
The question is:
Is there any way of getting the led to blink with traffic like it did on version 4.1.8 ?

I think you told me once that it was blinking for you, but for me it just stays on. Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks!
This is a problem I've seen quite often in the past. Not sure why it happens but after powering on the Pi sometimes the led blinks and other times it just stays permanently on.

Tried with a TP-Link TL-WN725N today and when I first installed it the led stayed permanently on, even after rebooting several times. I then powered off the Pi and turned of the PSU, waited a short time and then turned the power back on. The Pi came up and booted and the led was now blinking as normal, and continued to blink after a rebooting, again several times.

Not sure why it behaves this way but could be some sort of timing problem with the wifi driver when the Pi is powered on.

MrEngman

MrEngman

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:54 pm

rpifreeze wrote:
MrEngman wrote:
Bit of a pain as I'm trying to update the compiled drivers for the commits that appeared while I was away and this is cause me real headache.
MrEngman
Could we know how you compile these modules, or is it your secret ?
I'm asking because I want to try some newer kernel (not the ones offered by foundation), and I suppose Your modules are only for official kernels, right ?
Nothing very secretive about compiling modules for the Pi. Just take a look through the forum or the RPi wiki. As far as I'm concerned the most difficult part is getting the Linux kernel source for the kernel you want to compile the module for.

I have cloned the Raspberry Pi Linux repository and select the right kernel version using the git checkout commit command. The commit for a particular kernel version can be found in the Hexxeh rpi-firmware repository in git_hash or the Raspberry Pi firmware repository in ./extra/git_hash

Then it's a matter of initialising the kernel for compiling the module. Compiling for the Pi 1 use commands

Code: Select all

make mrproper && make bcmrpi_defconfig && make modules_prepare
wget -q https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/raw/$rpi_firmware_commit_id/Module.symvers -O Module.symvers
or for the Pi 2, 3 use commands

make mrproper && make bcm2709_defconfig && make modules_prepare
wget -q https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/raw/$rpi_firmware_commit_id/Module7.symvers -O Module.symvers
$rpi_firmware_commit_id is the Hexxeh rpi-firmware commit containing the git_hash used to get the Linux source commit for the version to compile the module for. The commands make bcmrpi_defconfig or make bcm2709_defconfig generate the default .config file for compiling the kernel with the right configuration. If you are compiling for a kernel version you are using you can just copy the .config file from that kernel instead of running the make bcm... command. Also if you do not have access to the Module.symvers file you will need to compile the full kernel using make instead of make modules_prepare.

I then go to the driver source directory and run commands

make clean && make -j6
to compile the driver.

Just an overview. There is a copy of a script I use to compile several drivers here although it may not be upto date.

If you are compiling your own kernel versions then obviously things will be rather different.

MrEngman

Sherlock123

Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:00 am

Hi MrEngman,

Could you help me?
I'm using TL-WN725N v2 as a AP on Raspberry Pi. I could connect my AP if I don't set the WPA encryption.
However, if I set the encryption, I cant connect it anymore. It shows "Password error" on my clients.

I don't know how to resolve.

I don't want to make my AP as a public WIFI....
This is my hostapd.conf.
Thank you.

root@raspberrypi:~#cat hostapd.conf
bridge=br0
interface=wlan0
driver=rtl871xdrv
ssid=NotFreeWifi
channel=6
wmm_enabled=0
#wpa=1
#wpa_passphrase=12345678
#wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
#wpa_pairwise=TKIP
#rsn_pairwise=CCMP
#auth_algs=1
#macaddr_acl=0

MrEngman

Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Sherlock123 wrote:Hi MrEngman,

Could you help me?
I'm using TL-WN725N v2 as a AP on Raspberry Pi. I could connect my AP if I don't set the WPA encryption.
However, if I set the encryption, I cant connect it anymore. It shows "Password error" on my clients.

This is my hostapd.conf.
Thank you.

bridge=br0
interface=wlan0
driver=rtl871xdrv
ssid=NotFreeWifi
channel=6
wmm_enabled=0
#wpa=1
#wpa_passphrase=12345678
#wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
#wpa_pairwise=TKIP
#rsn_pairwise=CCMP
#auth_algs=1
#macaddr_acl=0
No idea why this can be happening. I've set up a Pi in the past using a similar set up using this tutorial and I've not had problems. But that was probably with raspbian wheezy. The network configuration using Jessie has changed and maybe that could be causing problems.

Also do you reboot after making changes to your files? If not this would probably cause problems.

What is the OS you are using?

MrEngman

MrEngman

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi Sherlock123,

Seems when I set up an AP it was using the EW-7811Un wifi, not the TL-WN725N. Tried with a TL-WN725N and initially had problems but now I have it working.

Tried setting up an AP with the TL-WN725N on a Pi 2 B and there was a problem. When starting the AP I saw an error

ioctl[RTL_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Invalid argument
The AP was listed in the access points I could see but I could not get a connection. I was using 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy to try and avoid any problems that Jessie might cause due to the change in the networking configuration. Kernel version was 3.18.11-v7+ #781.

This was using the driver I compile. I then removed my driver and used the built in 8188eu driver and using that driver the AP now appears to work. I also updated the kernel using

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
and the kernel version is now 4.1.13-v7+ #826 and it's still working.

If you've got my driver installed then to remove it you need to use commands

sudo rm /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
sudo depmod
Then make sure the firmware for the built in driver is installed using commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firmware-realtek
Now reboot and you should be able to get the AP working using the link I pointed to in my previous post.

Why there is an error with the driver I compiled I don't know but it is a rather newer version, RTL8188EUS_linux_v4.3.0.8_13968.20150417, than the one included in the raspbian image so may need a newer version of hostapd, or patching the driver to get it to work with newer kernels may have broken it somehow.

MrEngman

MrEngman

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Sherlock123,

Further update. Looks like I've got the AP working with my 8188eu wifi driver. I'm just going through a completely new install of my SD card to make sure it does work OK and will post the results when I'm done.

MrEngman

Sherlock123

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:10 am

Thank you, MrEngman.
I will try it tonight.
Actually, I have found a trade-off.
Use iptables to restrict MAC address, and only I trust that could surf the internet.
Sherlock123 wrote:Hi MrEngman,

Could you help me?

This is my hostapd.conf.
Thank you.

bridge=br0
interface=wlan0
driver=rtl871xdrv
ssid=NotFreeWifi
channel=6
wmm_enabled=0
#wpa=1
#wpa_passphrase=12345678
#wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
#wpa_pairwise=TKIP
#rsn_pairwise=CCMP
#auth_algs=1
#macaddr_acl=0

MrEngman

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:50 am

Sherlock123 wrote:Thank you, MrEngman.
I will try it tonight.
Actually, I have found a trade-off.
Use iptables to restrict MAC address, and only I trust that could surf the internet.
I have sorted out the AP setup. I have posted details here

MrEngman

aimc

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:15 pm

MrEngman, would you update it to 4.1.21+?

Thanks and great work !

MrEngman

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:33 pm

aimc wrote:MrEngman, would you update it to 4.1.21+?

Thanks and great work !
I did 06/04/2016. Just didn't update the OP :D

MrEngman

java

Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:15 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to install, this driver, so that, it is possible to move the SD card from a Pi 2, to a Pi 3, to a Pi Zero or a Pi B.

Would I be better off, buying another Wi-Fi device?

MrEngman

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:55 pm

java wrote:Hi,

Is it possible to install, this driver, so that, it is possible to move the SD card from a Pi 2, to a Pi 3, to a Pi Zero or a Pi B.

There are two versions of the driver. One for Pi 2 B and 3 B which has "-v7" in the filename and one for all the other versions of the Pi which does not have "-v7" in the filename. You can install both on the same SD card so you can use the SD card in any version of the Pi.

Just be aware that if you update the kernel you will need to update the drivers and install the ones for the kernel you update to.

MrEngman

java

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:25 am

MrEngman wrote:
java wrote:Hi,

There are two versions of the driver. One for Pi 2 B and 3 B which has "-v7" in the filename and one for all the other versions of the Pi which does not have "-v7" in the filename. You can install both on the same SD card so you can use the SD card in any version of the Pi.

Just be aware that if you update the kernel you will need to update the drivers and install the ones for the kernel you update to.

MrEngman

Thank you for you help. Will try this as I soon as I have time available. Have confirmed that the SD card will boot in both a Pi Zero and a Pi 2 B.

tontonphil55

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:34 am

hello from France
please help me !!!!
when : wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... u-20150130
i have : ERROR 404: Not Found

MrEngman

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:46 pm

tontonphil55 wrote:hello from France
please help me !!!!
when : wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... u-20150130
i have : ERROR 404: Not Found
The filename is wrong. You need .tar.gz at the end of the filename.

You need to use

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20150130.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-20150130.tar.gz
./install.sh

MrEngman

tontonphil55

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:34 pm

thank you very much,
now wifi run with rpi b+ and volumio 1.55
thank you again for all that work

adr2

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi MrEngman,

Could you please build your modules for the kernel 4.4.7-v7+ #876?

Thanks for your work.

Return to “Troubleshooting”