tohipfortheroom

OFFICIAL RELEASE - ChromiumRPI V0.4 - "Lenny Bruce" - link

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:48 pm

We are happy to finally announce the V0.4 version of ChromiumRPI, named “Lenny Bruce”!

The download file is called “LennyBrucy0.4.1.tar.xz” and is available right here: https://www.mediafire.com/?0wa61paso992cm4

This time we’ve focused on stabilizing the build, have integrated some features that we had developed earlier, but that didn’t make it into the last release (and therefore had to be deployed manually). Also, the R49 sources this is based on are final/stable. Furthermore, we’ve ensured that we improve the performance quite a bit. Since there is a good amount of changes in this release, we suggest you either check out the bundled README or check the change-log here: http://pastebin.com/NCMi4vWb

We hope you enjoy this release and see the improvements compared to our earlier V0.3. The subreddit /r/ChromiumRPI is the official news, support and download site for this. You can also try to catch us on IRC in #ChromiumRPI on Freenode if you’re lucky :)

So let us know what you think and test this as much as you can! If there are still any bugs that we aren’t aware of yet, please let us know!

Have fun and thanks for your interest in the project!

Heater

Re: OFFICIAL RELEASE - ChromiumRPI V0.4 - "Lenny Bruce" - li

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:20 pm

tohipfortheroom,

This sounds brilliant and all but I have some questions:

1) What is "official" about this? It seems to have no connection to the chromium project. Or any other project I can find a website and responsible people for.

2) Who is "we"? Who is "tohipfortheroom"?

3) This is a download of a binary from a file sharing site. How can we know it is not loaded with malware?

4) Where can we get the source and build this for ourselves?

5) How is this different from the chromium here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195

Sorry if this all sound very negative but they are valid concerns I believe.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:27 pm

Heater it is Chromium Operating System not the Browser :?
Retired disgracefully.....

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:29 pm

tohipfortheroom

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:35 pm

1. why this a "official" release is that is a official release from our project, hosted on reddit on the subreddit /R/ChromiumRPI

2. the reason i stated "we" is that the project is maintained and built and worked on by me Dylan Callahan aka "tohipfortheroom" and a another developer that goes by the name "haggster82"

3. i uploaded the compress file, inside you will find a readme a md5 and the img, hosting on these kind of sites will soon be ended when we finish our website,

4. all of our source code is based off of the official chromium source code, we use what is called an overlay to build the packages for the raspberry pi you can find the overlay here https://github.com/haggster66/Chromium-OS-Overlays these are not current with the latest release, but will be updated within a few days.

5. the reason that we are different then that post is that we are a port of the Chromium OS, the same operating system found on chromebooks and chromebox's just adapted to work on the raspberry pi

I was not offended by your questions as i want my work to be very transparent, and if that means explaining a little more about what we are and what we do, i do not mind answering those questions

Article Related to the project.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/chromium ... 0622.shtml

We have also been featured here on the foundations website in the latest pi weekly
https://www.raspberrypi.org/weekly/izzie/

tohipfortheroom

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:37 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:So is this related to ?

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=133529&hilit=Chromium
Yes that was our previous release 0.3 which we have expanded and improved, making 0.4 the best release so far!

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:39 pm

tohipfortheroom wrote:

Yes that was our previous release 0.3 which we have expanded and improved, making 0.4 the best release so far!
Heater see https://github.com/tohipfortheroom

Heater

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:14 pm

tohipfortheroom,

Ah, reddit, I don't know what that is. Always thought it was a chat site. Never bothered to look as it's so ugly :)

Even more Ah! "Chromium Operating System not the Browser". This is most excellent. Looks like I will need to get another Pi 2 to play along with.

I look forward to your website, this project certainly deserves one.

Now, if I understand correctly I can take my Chrome Browser extensions and run them on Chrome OS, right?

If the serial port API and webgl is working I'd be all set.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:08 pm

tohipfortheroom wrote:

Aye a great improvement, but still appears to use a lot of memory when surfing, but with patience it is usable with a Wired Connection ;)

tohipfortheroom

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:15 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
tohipfortheroom wrote:

Aye a great improvement, but still appears to use a lot of memory when surfing, but with patience it is usable with a Wired Connection ;)
we have builtin wifi and bluetooth support for all the same dongles that raspbian supports with the exception of dongles that are based on the 8192cu chipset,

about the memory, we have enabled zram by default to try and help that issue, we have also used the BFS scheduler to help improve the usage of all four cores.

cjan

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:16 am

when 0.3 got no wifi supported, after 0.4 black screen for minutes, same devices.

tohipfortheroom

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:47 am

cjan wrote:when 0.3 got no wifi supported, after 0.4 black screen for minutes, same devices.
The black screen the cpu is most likely overwhelmed by trying to load all of your Google stuff

cjan

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:55 am

tohipfortheroom wrote:
cjan wrote:when 0.3 got no wifi supported, after 0.4 black screen for minutes, same devices.
The black screen the cpu is most likely overwhelmed by trying to load all of your Google stuff
so how long? read-led didnt blink.

Return to “General discussion”