Stefaan

Stream audio Android over WiFi to in-car USB port,

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:13 am

Hi everyone,

For a couple of months I've been looking for a system to stream audio from my Android phone over WiFi to an USB receiver in that way I can use the steering control of my car to scroll through songs and albums etc.

The only way to do this is by using the bCoda JAK Multishare stick, but it cannot be used to create subfolders. Other than that, it works very well.

I don't know such a thing is possible with a Raspberry Pi setup?

So in short:

Android phone with songs > wifi stream audio to Raspberry Pi which is plugged in the USB port of the car stereo > playable and controllable with steering control of the car, in the same way the songs are on a regular USB drive.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely yours,

Stefaan

fruitoftheloom

Re: Stream audio Android over WiFi to in-car USB port,

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Stefaan wrote:Hi everyone,

For a couple of months I've been looking for a system to stream audio from my Android phone over WiFi to an USB receiver in that way I can use the steering control of my car to scroll through songs and albums etc.

The only way to do this is by using the bCoda JAK Multishare stick, but it cannot be used to create subfolders. Other than that, it works very well.

I don't know such a thing is possible with a Raspberry Pi setup?

So in short:

Android phone with songs > wifi stream audio to Raspberry Pi which is plugged in the USB port of the car stereo > playable and controllable with steering control of the car, in the same way the songs are on a regular USB drive.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely yours,

Stefaan
One issue is the RPi USB and Car Stereo USB are both INPUTS
Retired disgracefully.....

Stefaan

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:19 pm

So it's not possible to use another USB port of the Raspberry Pi to connect to the usb interface of the in-car stereo and is that as output?

If that setup is not possible, I was thinking of another setup. Sandisk has the Sandisk Connect, which is basically an USB stick with WiFi module. So you can put files on it and use it to play the files from on your smartphone, but also as a stick to play the files on the in-car stereo, which is great, except for the fact you have to unplug it to put files on it through ad-hoc WiFi connection. The WiFi cannot be used when it's plugged into a USB port.

Is this setup maybe possible with a Raspberry Pi? So you use an Android smartphone with music files on, you put the files over WiFi on the Raspberry Pi and the Raspberry Pi is connected to the in-car stereo and uses the Raspberry Pi as a sort of USB drive on which the transferred files from the Android Phone can be played.

Would that be a possible setup?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely yours,

Stefaan

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Stefaan wrote:So it's not possible to use another USB port of the Raspberry Pi to connect to the usb interface of the in-car stereo and is that as output?

If that setup is not possible, I was thinking of another setup. Sandisk has the Sandisk Connect, which is basically an USB stick with WiFi module. So you can put files on it and use it to play the files from on your smartphone, but also as a stick to play the files on the in-car stereo, which is great, except for the fact you have to unplug it to put files on it through ad-hoc WiFi connection. The WiFi cannot be used when it's plugged into a USB port.

Is this setup maybe possible with a Raspberry Pi? So you use an Android smartphone with music files on, you put the files over WiFi on the Raspberry Pi and the Raspberry Pi is connected to the in-car stereo and uses the Raspberry Pi as a sort of USB drive on which the transferred files from the Android Phone can be played.

Would that be a possible setup?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely yours,

Stefaan
Same as before you can not connect inputs together.

Anyway why does your Android Phone not show up as a Mass Storage Device when plugged into the USB Input Port of the Car Stereo ?
Retired disgracefully.....

Stefaan

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Well, the thing is, my in-car stereo doesn't recognise my Android phone, so it can't access it as a mass storage drive. Another thing is that I don't want to have the cable connected to the phone all the time, because the USB port is in front of the gearbox, so I use a regular USB flash drive at the moment.

Another thing is that I don't want to take out the flash drive out of the car all the time to put music on it, so I thought it would have been great to stream or transfer (either is perfect) music or music files from the Android phone to an USB system wirelessly and than play the files with the in-car stereo and use folders and subfolders etc.

So I thought this would be possible with a Raspberry Pi because it's such a versatile tool.

Thanks in advance!

Stefaan

maurice1

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:25 am

Maybe the USB is the complicated way to think about your problem.

How about;
A: using a Rpi like an internet radio and using the headphone jack into the aux on your radio. I have found that sony android is superior at "throwing" sound to media players vs samsung android
B: Just using Bluetooth adapter into Aux jack, Grom make Bluetooth adapters for factory fitted car stereos.
C: replace car stereo, Double and single din facias are quite common for cars now on ebay etc

bpdcpa

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:10 am

Hi Stefaan. I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this? I have a car stereo with no bluetooth and, if you can believe it, AUX - only a USB. If you have not I am thinking the only solution is a new stereo with Bluetooth and/or Android auto. Thanks.

hilogicsys

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:34 pm

An STM32 Micro-Controller Emulating a 1GB USB Disk with 1GB Mp3 File streaming Endless Audio through any USB Port, such as Car Setereo, DVD Player etc..

http://usbaudiostream.blogspot.com/

Return to “Other projects”