W. H. Heydt

Re: Pi Zero Availability

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:54 pm

Heater wrote:mikerr,

Ah, OK, thanks.

The stumbling block here seems to be that nobody can buy the Pi SoC. Except, presumably if they order 100,000 or more from Broadcom.

Effectively if anyone could get the chips they could create a Pi clone already. I can't imagine it's beyond the wit of a serious cloner to reverse engineer the Pi schematic and create a PCB.
Actually...someone did. They got their hands (somehow) on a "sample" of 5000 BCM2385 packages. They designed and manufactured a Pi B clone. They went to Broadcom to buy another 5000 SoCs and--basically--Broadcom laughed and said 'come back when you're seriuos'.

That was the ill-fated Hardkernel Odroid-W.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:26 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:

Ah, OK, thanks.

The stumbling block here seems to be that nobody can buy the Pi SoC. Except, presumably if they order 100,000 or more from Broadcom.

Effectively if anyone could get the chips they could create a Pi clone already. I can't imagine it's beyond the wit of a serious cloner to reverse engineer the Pi schematic and create a PCB.
Actually...someone did. They got their hands (somehow) on a "sample" of 5000 BCM2385 packages. They designed and manufactured a Pi B clone. They went to Broadcom to buy another 5000 SoCs and--basically--Broadcom laughed and said 'come back when you're seriuos'.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 0610189490
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

W. H. Heydt

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:00 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:

Ah, OK, thanks.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 0610189490
http://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-w

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:24 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: Actually...someone did. They got their hands (somehow) on a "sample" of 5000 BCM2385 packages. They designed and manufactured a Pi B clone. They went to Broadcom to buy another 5000 SoCs and--basically--Broadcom laughed and said 'come back when you're seriuos'.

Part of that "come back when you're serious" was probably due to the need for licensing the binary blob, which would likely only ever happen with a high volume customer. I bet the legal fees wouldn't even be covered by the profit on 5000 chips. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:05 am

alexeames wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: Actually...someone did. They got their hands (somehow) on a "sample" of 5000 BCM2385 packages. They designed and manufactured a Pi B clone. They went to Broadcom to buy another 5000 SoCs and--basically--Broadcom laughed and said 'come back when you're seriuos'.

Part of that "come back when you're serious" was probably due to the need for licensing the binary blob, which would likely only ever happen with a high volume customer. I bet the legal fees wouldn't even be covered by the profit on 5000 chips. :D
At the sort of prices the BCM2835 has to going for, no, I don't think so either, unless it was a case of "here's the license; sign it as it stands or get lost." Even then it'd be close...

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 am

Hi gang

Closing this and similar threads. Latest news is at viewtopic.php?f=63&t=135081.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”