mikerr

Re: Zeros Now Available

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:00 pm

On pricing:
liz wrote:MCM and other organisations owned by Farnell and RS aren't going to be getting stock in the foreseeable, because they weren't happy with the margin structure
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=132355
liz wrote:current resellers ...we'll be asking those outlets to stick to one per customer
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=131605&p=886866#p886866
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

karlkiste

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks for pointing me to that thread!

The mentioned "foreseeable" ends in my opinion when stock lasts from one production batch to another. Then the "one piece per customer" limit will be lifted, and distributors can start selling packs of 10 or 50 or whatever.

I keep my fingers crossed for this to happen this year in summer :-D

The "margin structure" can't be strictly defined by the foundation, but it has influence on certain companies. Other companies, whose lives do not depend on pi sales could demand higher prices. That would however lead to low sales and bad publicity.

Greets,
Kiste

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:20 pm

karlkiste wrote:Thanks for pointing me to that thread!

The mentioned "foreseeable" ends in my opinion when stock lasts from one production batch to another. Then the "one piece per customer" limit will be lifted, and distributors can start selling packs of 10 or 50 or whatever.

I keep my fingers crossed for this to happen this year in summer :-D

The "margin structure" can't be strictly defined by the foundation, but it has influence on certain companies. Other companies, whose lives do not depend on pi sales could demand higher prices. That would however lead to low sales and bad publicity.

Greets,
Kiste
Prior to the Pi0, Pis were (and are) manufactured under a license granted to RS and Farnell. Evidence is that the license requires them to sell Pis at the price set by the RPF. Any other vendor can buy from them and then sell at whatever price they choose. Locally, I can walk into various stores and find a Pi2B for prices ranging from $38 to $50. At the low end of that range, it is cheaper to get a Pi2B that way than to order one on line.

So far, I know of one source that lists the bare Pi0 and isn't one of the "official distributors". That source is quoting the $5 list price...if they ever get any in (at present, they are expecting some in "mid-February").

karlkiste

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:39 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: Prior to the Pi0, Pis were (and are) manufactured under a license granted to RS and Farnell. Evidence is that the license requires them to sell Pis at the price set by the RPF.
If I check prices for the Pi2B at the german sites I find:

farnell 32,87 €
RS 29,58 €

Why does the RPF set two different prices? RS even gives discount when buying 150 pieces. farnell doesn't.

I agree, when the first Model B Pis were sold back in 2012, there was an agreement with RS and farnell to sell at a certain price, in single pieces, and to consumers. I believe this agreement involved some sort of public-relations-effect for the distributors. They saw that they wouldn't make money on the Pis, but the publicity seemed to be worth it.

This has changed now. The Pi is a product like a million others and has to make money, or it is listet out. The distributors don't let someone else decide the price of an item, not in the long run.

Greets,
Kiste

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:41 pm

karlkiste wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: Prior to the Pi0, Pis were (and are) manufactured under a license granted to RS and Farnell. Evidence is that the license requires them to sell Pis at the price set by the RPF.

farnell 32,87 €
RS 29,58 €
Newark (US branch of Farnell): $35.00
Allied (US branch of RS): $35.00

I would suggest that the differences you are seeing are related to currency exchange rates. I won't go into why Pis are priced in US dollars because that has been discussed often and at length.

ladius

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:20 pm

When I got there yesterday there were only complete starter kits left... Does anyone know where else will the Pi Zero be available soon?

DirkS

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:23 pm

ladius wrote:When I got there yesterday there were only complete starter kits left... Does anyone know where else will the Pi Zero be available soon?
Don't know about (how) soon, but it will be one or more of the 4 vendors mentioned several times elsewhere on the forum

karlkiste

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:27 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
karlkiste wrote:

farnell 32,87 €
RS 29,58 €

I would suggest that the differences you are seeing are related to currency exchange rates.
Strange thing is, in germany the boards were a bit cheaper at RS from the very beginning. The touchscreens however were a bit cheaper at farnell. That's hard to explain with just exchange rates. And, european law forbids for a manufacturer to require a fixed retail price. That may be different in the US.

Pithagoros

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Pimoroni just tweeted more Zeros available, in stock now.

To save these Zeros from a future languishing unloved in a drawer, get in before they appear on the hotukdeals website again.

Pithagoros

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Took 1 hour 30 minutes and all the second batch of bare zeros sold out.
Still more than 50 with cable kits left though.

Richdotward

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Brought basic one about 1 hour ago.

ladius

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Bought mine 15 minutes after I got an email from them, about an hour ago. Finally! It seems they're selling out fast again...

blaablaaguy

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:07 pm

AAAAAAAAAARGH I MISSED THEM AGAIN!!!!!!

WHYYYYYY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!?
:(

They didnt even send me an email...
This signature intentionally left blank.

gordon77

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:11 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:AAAAAAAAAARGH I MISSED THEM AGAIN!!!!!!

Zero with cables and case for £12.50 at Pimoroni if you are quick

blaablaaguy

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:14 pm

gordon77 wrote:

Nah. I just want the pi on its own. Ive got most of the stuff to get one up and running lying around.
This signature intentionally left blank.

gordon77

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:15 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:
gordon77 wrote:

Nah. I just want the pi on its own. Ive got most of the stuff to get one up and running lying around.
You need to be quicker then ;)

ladius

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Their email system is really bad. I didn't get an email last time too... And I set alerts up for the three bundles and the Pi Zero alone (and this time they only sent me for one of them)

skspurling

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:37 am

Been watching Micro center, and now it says "not sold at this location", instead of "sold out". Something up with the supplies to micro center?

karlkiste

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:25 am

Conrad electronic, a major electronics retailer in europe, also stopped accepting pre-orders.

DirkS

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:16 am

skspurling wrote:Been watching Micro center, and now it says "not sold at this location", instead of "sold out". Something up with the supplies to micro center?
I wouldn't read too much in that. These things can be very unreliable.
IIRC RS / Element 14 had Pi listed as discontinued at times and then the next day or so they would have 1000's in stock...

DirkS

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 am

Pi Hut has put some teasers on Twitter about the next batch to go on sale.
They already have them in the warehouse and will probably go on sale this Monday.

hansotten

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:49 am

At a dutch site, Kiwi electronics,

https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/raspber ... t-adapters 56 in stock this morning.

Price is quite high, Euro 18,95 for Zero, HDMO and USB adapter, excluding shipping.

Its also says (Brand, Model, Availability)

Merk: Element14
Model: RPI-ZERO-BUNDLE
Beschikbaarheid: 56 op voorraad

So it seems Element14 is trickling Zero's in its distribution channel.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

karlkiste

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:30 am

So it seems Element14 is trickling Zero's in its distribution channel.
Right after the Zero was announced for the first time, element14 had it listed and accepted orders. A day after I had ordered one, I got an email that the order was cancelled and the Zero had disappeared from the list. Maybe they didn't cancel all of the orders, delivering now.

RaTTuS

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:04 am

karlkiste wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
karlkiste wrote:

farnell 32,87 €
RS 29,58 €

I would suggest that the differences you are seeing are related to currency exchange rates.
Strange thing is, in germany the boards were a bit cheaper at RS from the very beginning. The touchscreens however were a bit cheaper at farnell. That's hard to explain with just exchange rates. And, european law forbids for a manufacturer to require a fixed retail price. That may be different in the US.
both RS and Farnell manufacture RPi's [A+ B+ B2] on license both of these companies can build them where they want, with what component chain they can , this will affect the price they can offer them at [the base line figure is $25 ] they will compete with each other...
they both have different models and costs in the final distribution chain
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

mikerr

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:13 am

The zero + kits are still in stock :shock:
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “General discussion”