Inqubusinc

R Pi 2 case

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:53 pm

Hey everyone!

I wanted to ask if R Pi 2 needs a heatsink if overclocked.

My friend here suggested me to buy this metal case with heatsink, but I am not sure if it is required.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... spberry-pi

Please suggest

Thank you

kusti8

Re: R Pi 2 case

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:26 pm

No it won't and it will make more work for yourself in the end. If anything in the unlikely chance gets too hot (above 80 C) it will throttle it down. This chip has been made to work without a heatsink.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

GTR2Fan

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:37 pm

It's very unlikely to get anywhere near the temperature where thermal-throttling will kick in, and if it does, it's totally harmless. There are only very specific circumstances where thermal-throttling might lead to you wanting to fit heatsinks, and one of those is if you're heavily overclocked and running any particularly heavy-duty 3D games where it may lead to a lumpy framerate.

I have a thermally-controlled fan for this specific reason, but the vast majority of Pi users will never need additional cooling.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

jahboater

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:41 am

What does this box actually cool. They refer to the "chipset" ?? do they mean the sdram chip I wonder.

There are three issues:-
1) damage or reduced longevity due to overheating
This is a non-issue. The RPF have had no Pi's returned due to over heat damage. The chip is very robust.
The expected lifetime is in decades even when overclocked. They have been tested in ovens much higher than 85C.

2) throttling back on overheating
This might just happen if you live in a very hot country *AND* your Pi is heavily loaded (all 4 cores max'd out for a long period).
This should never happen at normal room temperature (say 20-25C). An overclocked Pi will usually fail long before it reaches 85C.
Most of the SoC area is the GPU, so if this is used intensively it may get hotter.

3) overclock stability
This is a different matter. Here the Pi behaves like any other silicon.
Increasing the frequency raises the temperature and the required voltage.
Increasing the voltage increases the temperature
Increasing the temperature reduces the stability and requires an increase in voltage
For a modest overclock this doesn't matter, for an extreme overclock on the other hand this upward spiral is usually only controlled by reducing the temperature with additional cooling. Hence record breaking overclocks use LN2 (liquid nitrogen) for cooling.
In my case, a marginally stable overclock with overvoltage 6 became rock stable with overvoltage 2 just by adding some cheap little heatsinks to the SoC and the sdram.
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

Inqubusinc

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:28 pm

Thank you so much everyone, this makes it pretty easy for me.

Return to “Other projects”