Pithagoros

Zeros Now Available

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:05 pm

Zero being sold at PiMoroni. Seems to be plenty.

Got mine. Phew.

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Re: Zeros Now Available

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Me too, although spent a bit more than I'd planned!!

fanoush

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Massive price increase of 0.20GBP :o
The Pi Hut also increased the price now. Had 4.00 list price two hours ago but now also has 4.20 but still out of stock.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:28 pm

fanoush

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks for very cool and informative wolfram alpha link :-) No problem with the price of course.

Already have one Zero and waiting till they raise the limit to 2 or 3. With current 1 piece per customer the EU shipping basically doubles the price of Zero. Still good price but a bit wasteful.

Pithagoros

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:58 pm

The stocks are holding up well, still an unknown number higher than 50 available, so hopefully everybody who wants one is getting one and trade is slowing down for Ebay scalpers.

fanoush

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Now they are gone. At least those without extra stuff. 1 hour and 44 minutes.

Pithagoros

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:46 pm

6 came back into stock - multiple orders being cancelled and unchecked out shopping baskets expiring.

bugsy_malone 666

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:50 pm

I got on the site and saw 17 in stock, clicked ad to basket, went to checkout, sold out. went back to the first page, 7 in stock, why am I not allowed to buy 1?!

:(

I see Pi Hut dont have any yet :(

bugsy_malone 666

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Ok interesting, you can buy a kit but not an individual one :S soI have managed to buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally after 2 months!

DirkS

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:25 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote:I got on the site and saw 17 in stock, clicked ad to basket, went to checkout, sold out. went back to the first page, 7 in stock, why am I not allowed to buy 1?!t :(
You would have to ask Pimoroni...
I guess that people put them in their basket and then they are reserved until they finish the checkout (probably also with a time limit).

Pithagoros

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:30 pm

Zeros + adapter cable kits just went out of stock, 2.5 hours.

Still plenty of case kits though.

bugsy_malone 666

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:20 pm

So part of me wonders how many zeros pimoroni were allocated, as they seem to have managed to sell out of everything in 7 hours (probably less).

I think I am lucky I managed to order a Zero kit!

blaablaaguy

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:53 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!
I missed them... so close yet so far...
This signature intentionally left blank.

Shoka

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:05 pm

No idea what the real demand is yet then, More than the foundation can make is all we can conclude.

Any number for how many have been produced to date?

I wanna buy half a dozen, but I'll wait for the rush to die down.

Just no idea when that will happen.
Cheers Harry

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:04 am

Shoka wrote:No idea what the real demand is yet then, More than the foundation can make is all we can conclude.

Any number for how many have been produced to date?

I wanna buy half a dozen, but I'll wait for the rush to die down.

Just no idea when that will happen.
Put this in cron to remind yourself to check...
0 6 * 7 * <some alert method>

karlkiste

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:51 am

By the way: On the product page

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-zero/

we're told to buy zeroes at the distributors. I usually bought pis at the distributors. But they all removed them completely from their lists, no backlog or anything. On a farnell community page you can read that the zero is sold out. element14 now only regularly sells 2Bs and CMs, A+ and B+ aren't stocked anymore.

Does anyone know if the distributors plan to sell zeros if production and demand approach a sane relation?

Greets,
Kiste

Pithagoros

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:02 am

karlkiste wrote:By the way: On the product page

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-zero/

we're told to buy zeroes at the distributors. I usually bought pis at the distributors. But they all removed them completely from their lists, no backlog or anything. On a farnell community page you can read that the zero is sold out. element14 now only regularly sells 2Bs and CMs, A+ and B+ aren't stocked anymore.

Does anyone know if the distributors plan to sell zeros if production and demand approach a sane relation?

Greets,
Kiste
Yes, I've mentioned the misleading information on the that page before, but nobody seems very concerned about it.

We've been informed via this forum that the main distributors aren't interested in selling Zero at the moment, and the primary vendors are Pimoroni and The PiHut in the UK, and Adafruit and MicroCenter in the USA.

Not sure how distribution is done to the rest of the planet.

mikerr

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:35 am

If you missed it, Pimoroni still have some more zeroes in stock as part of the project kits:
https://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/r ... oject-kits

For distributors, don't forget the magPi subscription, which still starts at issue #40 with a Pi Zero and leads and is worldwide.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/subscribe/

The sticking point with distributors seems to be the following (though I may be wrong!)
1) required to to sell at RRP ( too little profit)
2) required to enforce 1 per customer

Point 1 is overcome by offering it with various kits and accessories and making the profit there.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

karlkiste

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:54 am

mikerr wrote: For distributors, don't forget the magPi subscription, which still starts at issue #40 with a Pi Zero and leads and is worldwide.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/subscribe/
Thanks for the hint, but I usually try to sell products and therefore I don't start working with anything of unclear supply.
mikerr wrote: The sticking point with distributors seems to be the following (though I may be wrong!)
1) required to to sell at RRP ( too little profit)
2) required to enforce 1 per customer
1) isn't true - element14 and RS don't call the same price. It does not differ a lot, but that's probably a result of competition, not manufacturer regulations.

2) may be a wish from the foundation till production approaches the demand level. I presume this will be lifted as soon as there's lasting stock.

My concern is more, can the distributors sell $5 items in single pieces? They usually have a MOQ of $25 or so, and usually they don't sell to private customers at all. Anyway, I wouldn't mind if there were only packs of 5 or 10 pieces sold by the distributors.

Greets,
Kiste

Massi

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:59 am

mikerr wrote:If you missed it, Pimoroni still have some more zeroes in stock as part of the project kits:
https://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/r ... oject-kits
to celebrate the new availability of zeros in the civilized world, i've place an order in china with a free tracked dispatch to italy :)

this is SO sad..

mikerr

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:09 am

karlkiste wrote:
mikerr wrote: required to to sell at RRP ( too little profit)
1) isn't true - element14 and RS don't call the same price. It does not differ a lot, but that's probably a result of competition, not manufacturer regulations.
..for Pi Zero it seems to be.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

karlkiste

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:15 am

mikerr wrote:
karlkiste wrote:
mikerr wrote: required to to sell at RRP ( too little profit)
..for Pi Zero it seems to be.
So that might be the problem: The distributors can't sell e.g. in continental europe due to cartel bans, which forbid manufacturers to dictate retail prices ;-)

Greets,
Kiste

Pithagoros

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:18 am

Got to acknowledge Pimoroni service, Zero ordered at noon yesterday was delivered before 9AM today.

Interestingly, an item ordered from the Raspberry Pi swag store was delivered today from Pimoroni. I hadn't realised that Swag store works as just a storefront for other vendors - considering also I purchased it from Swag store because it was cheaper than Pimoroni.

karlkiste

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:28 am

Pithagoros wrote: I hadn't realised that Swag store works as just a storefront for other vendors - considering also I purchased it from Swag store because it was cheaper than Pimoroni.
There's a footnote at the Swag store website:"Fulfillment provided by Pimoroni Ltd"
But, the indeed indicated cheaper price (GBP4,00 vs. 4,20) makes me doubt the manufacturer-fixed price... ;-)

Greets,
Kiste

Return to “General discussion”