IeuanG

Pi Zero Availability

Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Let's try this again, last thread was locked due to off topic discussion.

viewtopic.php?p=871418#p871418

BMS Doug

Re: Pi Zero Availability

Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:55 pm

IeuanG wrote:Let's try this again, last thread was locked due to off topic discussion.
IeuanG wrote:Hi all, Does anyone have any idea when the next batch of pi zero's are to become available? I've spoken to pimoroni, and they had received no information, and so I thought I would ask the community instead. I'm looking to buy a fairly small amount (around 10-15), but thought I'd save any heavy purchasing until demand has gone down so as to not hoard the things.

Many Thanks

IeuanG
I guess the question is when will there be enough stock to buy 10 at once?

Given the (observed) slow dispersal rate I would say that it will be several months until any stock made available doesn't sell out within an hour of release and while that trend continues I don't believe it is reasonable to remove the 1/customer cap.

I know that you and I are far from the only people who want to have at least 10, so I expect that stock will dwindle quickly again once the cap is removed.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:56 pm

As I have said before, I think the Zero will always be made is low quantities, simply because there is little or no profit to be made on them. No profit = No Foundation.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:02 pm

jamesh wrote:As I have said before, I think the Zero will always be made is low quantities, simply because there is little or no profit to be made on them. No profit = No Foundation.

I would support an increase in price, lets say the "buy one, gift one" model, double the price of the Pi0 in the knowledge that an equal number were being gifted to a suitable cause.

Verified educational uses could be made exempt?
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

hippy

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:16 pm

jamesh wrote:As I have said before, I think the Zero will always be made is low quantities, simply because there is little or no profit to be made on them. No profit = No Foundation.
Perhaps the Foundation could make their profit by selling Zeroes with a cable bundle. That should make a tidy profit in cable mark-up, perhaps even more than other Pi boards are generating, and most end users won't end up paying any more than they are having to pay anyway.

Pithagoros

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:34 pm

Given their track record, we can never rule out the Foundation surprising us again with another limited edition special Pi with a different design from the Zer0, and at a different price.

ejolson

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:46 pm

Pithagoros wrote:Given their track record, we can never rule out the Foundation surprising us again with another limited edition special Pi with a different design from the Zer0, and at a different price.
Even if the end result were the same, many people would feel better making a charitable contribution than being forced to buy cables they don't want at inflated prices. On the other hand, I would happily buy a $15 Pi 2 Zero with the same form factor except quad core.
Last edited by ejolson on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

rpdom

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:46 pm

Pithagoros wrote:Given their track record, we can never rule out the Foundation surprising us again with another limited edition special Pi with a different design from the Zer0, and at a different price.
Something smallish, like the zero, but with the camera module mounted on the board? That would be popular and wouldn't need the bulky connectors. It would need extra traces routed though.

Woll

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Everyone's forgetting the Pi Zero was made and designed to be as cheap as possible and as a result features where left out.
Other models are available if you want more.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

Pithagoros

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Woll wrote:Everyone's forgetting the Pi Zero was made and designed to be as cheap as possible and as a result features where left out.
I don't think we are forgetting that, to be fair.

jamesh

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:14 pm

My preference would be a PiQuadZero, with a camera connector and Wifi, all else the same. $15? Dunno what that could be made for, but great for a lot of uses.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ejolson

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:17 pm

On the other hand, would it be possible for a third party, possibly an American NGO, to contract a large build of Pi Zeros so that the original Zero would be available in quantities large enough for use in schools?
Last edited by ejolson on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gordon77

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:18 pm

jamesh wrote:My preference would be a PiQuadZero, with a camera connector and Wifi, all else the same. $15? Dunno what that could be made for, but great for a lot of uses.
Agreed :D

ejolson

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:24 pm

jamesh wrote:My preference would be a PiQuadZero, with a camera connector and Wifi, all else the same. $15? Dunno what that could be made for, but great for a lot of uses.
This would be great as long as the WiFi didn't interfere with the way the Linux Gadget driver currently works over USB on the Zero.
Last edited by ejolson on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hippy

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Woll wrote:Everyone's forgetting the Pi Zero was made and designed to be as cheap as possible and as a result features where left out.
But having something so cheap that it's infeasible to manufacture in quantity isn't particularly useful.

I would suggest simply adding a dollar or two to the price if that's what it takes to make enough profit and get manufacturing in decent quantities, even doubling the price won't make much difference to most of us who want one or two.

They can always be supplied through specific channels for those who actually are genuinely in need of a no mark-up computer.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:36 pm

Pithagoros wrote:
I don't think we are forgetting that, to be fair.
You'd never know it by the feature creep people keep asking for. Granted, that has been done with the other models of Pi as well.

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Isn't that closer to what you'd get on the RPI2A (if it ever happens).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jamesh

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:39 pm

I should add that this is my own thoughts on the matter given apparently some people think this is some sort of official announcement. I have no visibility whatsoever of what the Foundation plans are with regard to production rate etc. So take it with a pinch of salt. All I do know is the Zero will be kept in production for as long as there is demand for it, just like all the other models, and that information comes from a post Liz made here some time ago (which I cannot find right now), so again, not insider information.

jamesh

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:43 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wouldn't have thought so. A small board like the zero with a camera connector and WIfi would make a great security camera/baby monitor/birdbox camera/HAB recorder etc. Whereas you still need a board with quad USB, DSI, ethernet as the main production device. That's never going to be $15.

And again, this is my own opinion, and nothing to do with any foundation plans, as people has been reading some things I post as practically official announcements, which they are not.

ejolson

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:48 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:You'd never know it by the feature creep people keep asking for. Granted, that has been done with the other models of Pi as well.
I think the request for features in this thread, at least, is based on the idea that it will raise less eyebrows for the foundation to come out with a slightly improved Zero at sustainable prices, then to simply increase the price of the existing model. The goal of increasing the availability of the Zero by making it more profitable to manufacture seems in many ways related to the original topic.

Edited to address the concern of going off topic expressed below.
Last edited by ejolson on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:50 pm

Seems this thread has gone off-topic like the last one, all these I want / need / demand have ****** to do with the title of this thread..
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

TimG

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:16 pm

jamesh wrote:As I have said before, I think the Zero will always be made is low quantities, simply because there is little or no profit to be made on them.
The Zero was inspired by a conversation with Eric Schmidt, who advocated a very cheap device: “He said it was very hard to compete with cheap." The implication is that supply is intended to meet demand, because otherwise the Zero is not competitive with the more-available alternatives.

However I imagine that the demand for Zeros is absolutely enormous, especially from industry, and it'll be a while before supply catches up. I'm slightly surprised to see so much interest from hobbyists given the similarities with the A+.

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:19 pm

TimG wrote: I'm slightly surprised to see so much interest from hobbyists given the similarities with the A+.
That's because (with an unlimited supply) you can buy four Raspberry Zeros for the price of one Raspberry A+.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gordon77

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Maybe if they could make the RP2A a bit smaller?

Pithagoros

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:39 pm

TimG wrote: I'm slightly surprised to see so much interest from hobbyists given the similarities with the A+.
I'm not surprised. Small size, lightness, low power and cheapness are valuable qualities.

I've got two Raspberry Pi model Bs (both original 256MB ones) doing useful work, they are low maintenance and I don't even need to think about them for weeks. I also have some currently unemployed Bs, B+ and A/A+, B2. But all my hobbyist/tinkering interest has been rekindled by the little Zer0 and that is the device on the bench right now. For me, less is more.

Return to “General discussion”