mikognn

Raspberry Pi Zero pricing in Europe

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Hello together,

according the blogpost on raspberrypi.org, the pi zero is meant to be a nicely priced computer which should "help these people take the pludge".

This is a nice idea, and hey, five dollars is more than a fair price. Over here in Europe (specifically Germany) however, the retailers are pricing the Pi Zero currently at ~14,99€ (16,12$), which is overpriced by about 317 percent!
How can the Foundation accept this policy by retailers, if the goal is to make computers available to everyone, not to make the retailers more and more rich?
Last edited by mikognn on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

expandables

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero pricing in Europe

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:12 pm

mikognn wrote:Hello together,

according the blogpost on raspberrypi.org, the pi zero is mesnt to be an nicely priced computer which should "help these people take the pludge".

This is a nice idea, and hey, five dollars is more than a fair price. Over here in Europe (specifically Germany) however, the retailers are pricing the Pi Zero currently at ~14,99€ (16,12$), which is overpriced by about 317 percent!
How can the Foundation accept this policy by retailers, if the goal is to make computers available to everyone, not to make the retailers more and more rich?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

:twisted:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

mikognn

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:17 pm

The inflation is of course a factor which affects pricing. The current inflationrate in Germany however is 0.24%, which is a bit less than 318% ;)

denis_hr

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:25 pm

If you take a closer look, all of those retailers are actually selling a RasPi Zero KIT, which includes micro HDMI to HDMI adapter, and a Micro USB cable adapter (OTG).
That kit has about the same price everywhere.

The issue is that you can't actually buy ONLY RasPi Zero - they sell only the kits, thus making a nice profit on $2 worth of cables and adapters.... :(

The only thing you can do is wait until the retailers start selling ONLY the RasPi (without cable/adapter).... It shouldn't cost more than €6-€7 when sold alone, I guess...

Bruny

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:23 pm

denis_hr wrote:The only thing you can do is wait until the retailers start selling ONLY the RasPi (without cable/adapter).... It shouldn't cost more than €6-€7 when sold alone, I guess...
just like 2B is now only $60 incl. shipping :?:

kusti8

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:27 pm

Bruny wrote:
denis_hr wrote:The only thing you can do is wait until the retailers start selling ONLY the RasPi (without cable/adapter).... It shouldn't cost more than €6-€7 when sold alone, I guess...
just like 2B is now only $60 incl. shipping :?:
I can get the 2B right now for $40 including shipping and tax. Where in the world are you? Where are you ordering from?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

gkreidl

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:32 pm

denis_hr wrote:If you take a closer look, all of those retailers are actually selling a RasPi Zero KIT, which includes micro HDMI to HDMI adapter, and a Micro USB cable adapter (OTG).
That kit has about the same price everywhere.

The issue is that you can't actually buy ONLY RasPi Zero - they sell only the kits, thus making a nice profit on $2 worth of cables and adapters.... :(

The only thing you can do is wait until the retailers start selling ONLY the RasPi (without cable/adapter).... It shouldn't cost more than €6-€7 when sold alone, I guess...
It's the price from pollin.de and they cannot even deliver it.
Yes, we'll have to wait in Germany (and other countries) until it really is in stock. Luckily we have some competition here and that will bring the price down, even with resellers (RS/Farnell are not delivering to end users in Germany).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:59 am

RS and Farnell are not selling the zero as I understand it. The Zero is manufactured by the Foundation, not by RS and Farnell under licence. I suspect they cannot make any money on it so are not so interested.

The Foundation has no real control over how people price on the Zero, although as stated above, the higher priced kit comes with cables. The shops need to make some profit, or they simply won't sell the Zero at all.....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Pithagoros

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:03 am

jamesh wrote:RS and Farnell are not selling the zero as I understand it. The Zero is manufactured by the Foundation, not by RS and Farnell under licence. I suspect they cannot make any money on it so are not so interested.
I think Farnell are, at least in the UK:

http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberrypizero?&ICID=I-Rpizero

jamesh

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:08 am

Pithagoros wrote:
jamesh wrote:RS and Farnell are not selling the zero as I understand it. The Zero is manufactured by the Foundation, not by RS and Farnell under licence. I suspect they cannot make any money on it so are not so interested.
I think Farnell are, at least in the UK:

http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberrypizero?&ICID=I-Rpizero
AIUI, they are just selling an initial batch and may not continue - of course, they could change their plans.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

RaTTuS

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:51 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Bruny

COP21: Raspberry Pi Zero pricing in Europe

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:14 pm

kusti8 wrote:I can get the 2B right now for $40 including shipping and tax. Where in the world are you? Where are you ordering from?
What would happen if somebody equalize that by setting different prices for different countries? Let's just say that in this country GDP per capita is 2.5x lower...
  • Wealthy industrialized countries and big corporations are mostly responsible for causing global warming, yet poorer nations in the global south are bearing the brunt of climate change’s impacts.
  • With the high cost of health care there, the U.S. is seen as a potential market.

Gadgety

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:35 pm

Hm, yes, I recognize this, too. PiZero, out of stock for the moment, obviously, is priced between GBP 7 at the lowest, and, get a load of this GBP 38 in Sweden. Plus shipping. The majority fall between GBP 12 and 22, incl shipping. Conrad.se is the worst charging GBP 38, plus another 4 quid for shipping, for a grand total of GBP 42. None of these are shipped with any ancilliaries.

gkreidl

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 pm

Wait until they really have it in stock in quantity.
An example for Pi2 in Germany:
35$ = 32,0528 (at todays exchange rate) + 19% VAT = 38,14 €. The current price from my favorite reseller: 38,19 €. So where'*s the problem?
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

Fidelius

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:41 am

mikognn wrote:The current inflationrate in Germany however is 0.24%
Well, don't believe anything our governments tell us officially. Compare for yourself what your bread cost ~15 years ago in DM in contrast to what your bread costs today in Teuro. Then we see the actual inflation which is more like 24%. :-)

Fidelius

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:53 am

I agree with Mikognn concerning the Pi Zero's current cost: 14,95 € here in Germany.
So, as usual, there's usury with those who already have a few Pi's to sell. Clearly we better do what Gkreidl said: wait until they really have it in stock in quantity.

But those who don't wait or don't know the original price are taken for a fool. Which is sad when we take into account the Foundation's noble goals and their hard work to reach these goals. In the MagPi's current Christmas edition the Foundation's Eben Upton writes in the editorial what many of us experienced, too :
RASPBERRY PI ZERO: ACCESS TO TOOLS

My first computer, a second-hand BBC Micro with its built-in BASIC, cost me £220 in 1989. That’s £500 in today’s money. My Amiga was a little cheaper, costing £200 in 1993, but I had to save for three more months to buy the software and documentation I needed to program it.
Throughout my childhood, cost limited my access to the tools I needed to learn. This is why, of all the work that we do at Raspberry Pi, driving down the cost of computing is the single thing that matters most to me.

The original Raspberry Pi Model B and its successors put a programmable computer within reach of anyone with $20-35 to spend. Now we’re taking the next step: in Raspberry Pi Zero, we finally have a computer we can sell for $5, or give away on the front of a magazine. We all need access to tools. Cost should never be a barrier. Enjoy your Raspberry Pi Zero.

Eben Upton

jjex22

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:45 am

Yup, as ever it all comes down to whether you buy direct from RS/e14 or through a reseller. looking at the conversion rates, e14 and RS will likely be selling it a tad under €5 +tax&pp. Once they're in highly available stock, I reckon €9 for board only is a good large volume reseller price without accessories - it avoids breaking the €10 mark, and takes into account there'll not really be much of a bulk order discount at all on a Pi zero.
I had the idea for a single board computer in every seat on airplanes... but it all just seemed a bit Pi in the Sky!

gkreidl

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:30 pm

jjex22 wrote:Yup, as ever it all comes down to whether you buy direct from RS/e14 or through a reseller. looking at the conversion rates, e14 and RS will likely be selling it a tad under €5 +tax&pp. Once they're in highly available stock, I reckon €9 for board only is a good large volume reseller price without accessories - it avoids breaking the €10 mark, and takes into account there'll not really be much of a bulk order discount at all on a Pi zero.
RS/E14 don't deliver to German costumers (only to resellers), they give you a list of resellers instead. I think it's the same for some other European countries. In the beginning they offered me to by from Romania instead.
Luckily we have high competition between resellers and so the price will be around 6€ once it is available in quantity. The other boards are all available for a fair price now.

scotty101

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Fidelius wrote:
mikognn wrote:The current inflationrate in Germany however is 0.24%
Well, don't believe anything our governments tell us officially. Compare for yourself what your bread cost ~15 years ago in DM in contrast to what your bread costs today in Teuro. Then we see the actual inflation which is more like 24%. :-)
The inflation rate is measured in several different way which means you will end up with typically two different rates; CPI and RPI. They are both an average of the increase in cost (or prediction of increased cost) of various products or raw materials over the course of one year.
Not all products are subject to the same inflation rate. The inflation rates have been very low quite recently because the low price of crude oil is a large contributor to the inflation rate (as well as the ongoing financial problems).
So your comparison about the cost of bread going up in isolation, won't be reflective of the inflation index.

But... the inflation rate in different countries has absolutely no influence on the cost of a Pi Zero between different countries. That has more to do with exchange rates, local taxes, shipping costs, profit margins etc.

{/economics on a tech forum}
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Massi

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:23 pm

In italy we are far ahead

http://www.conrad.it/ce/it/product/1406 ... archDetail

:lol: :lol:

and this is not ebay..

Btw, i think that we will be able to discuss about pricing across europe only when Zero will be available (really available)

Right now, it's only speculation (in every meaning of the word..)

jamesh

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:30 pm

Massi wrote:In italy we are far ahead

Blimey, that's a lot.

Fidelius

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:45 pm

jamesh wrote:
Massi wrote:In italy we are far ahead

Blimey, that's a lot.
Indeed, ~44€ is a lot for a Pi Zero.

Apparently Conrad's Italian branch buys the Pi Zero in Germany for ~15€ and then has to cross the Alps – including the famous "Alps addition" which means some losses since Hannibal.

Massi, is it really Euro or rather Lira? ;-)

Massi

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Fidelius wrote:Massi, is it really Euro or rather Lira? ;-)
i think that in any case that's a really bad shop (for sure not polite..)
but to be honest i don't know any proper italian shop for things like raspberry :)

Return to “General discussion”