sav25

Re: Is a new Raspberry Pi model coming?

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:14 pm

alexeames wrote:
sav25 wrote:It is funny reading all these self defence posts.

I predicted a new Raspberry Pi. Today, there is a new Raspberry Pi. I predicted at a high level, and at a high level there is a new Pi today. I don't think people around the internet are saying "It's not a new Raspberry Pi, it's a Pi2/B+ but smaller"...

I 'speculated' at the potential features based on what people have been crying out for, and these speculations were mostly wrong apart from the size change.

^^ You see what I did there guys? I put my hand up when I was wrong about something - it's easy, it really is, and it actually comes across better than pretending you were right all the time...

Show's over folks - new Pi released, let's go enjoy it :D
No Richard, you cruelly stalked us on twitter, made our lives a misery and the press have been dogging our every step since your blog post. Shame on you! Shame on you! :lol:

I jest of course. Great detective work! But of the several times I've been to Pi Towers this year, that was the only one just before a launch. So you were "a bit jammy" as well :lol:

It's kind of funny though that this time there wasn't a major leak, even though, with all those magazine retailers involved, it was highly likely someone would have tweeted a photo before time.
Haha I did have to get a bit creative to fill a whole post of loose evidence. The Sun have been calling me all day asking me to work for them - said I'd fit right in.

You'll notice the black van is no longer outside your home as well. Sorry about that...

I heard a rumour that copies were released a day early at a London retailer, and someone in the community found them and made sure it was kept quiet!
Averagemaker.com

startrek.steve

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:19 pm

I guess 'Commercial Suicide' is the order of the day Dougie!
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

BMS Doug

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:49 pm

startrek.steve wrote:I guess 'Commercial Suicide' is the order of the day Dougie!
Dougie Lawson has already defended his call, I can agree with his justification in that this isn't a completely new computer but instead a reduced feature version of the A+, so the "commercial suicide" reference is irrelevant.
I also agree with the rest of his post.
DougieLawson wrote:
This time I agree with Fruity. SAV25 predicted a completely new machine. This isn't a brand new machine it's the same processor / SoC with all the funky adapters stripped off (to the bare minimum microHDMI, microUSB, microUSB (power only)).

So I stand by my "The RPF would be mad to release a new computer this close to Xmas". I think they've done something fantastic and should have trapped the "I can't pay £35 for a toy for you for Xmas" market. I bet Dave Akerman is busy buying up lots of PiZeros because they'll be easier to fly on his HABs.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:14 pm

startrek.steve wrote:I guess 'Commercial Suicide' is the order of the day Dougie!
There's still a new version of Raspbian Jessie or NOOBS/Raspbian Jessie needed to fully support the new machine. It's not going to introduce any new bugs (same tried and tested GPU/SoC), so it won't be commercial suicide. If they'd done an RPi3B (new SoC, new GPU, possibly 64-bit) that would have been crazy.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Woll

Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:39 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: I doubt it's new hardware, (Wrong) the top of the Magpi says: "Free Raspberry..." before the rest is obstructed, this suggests to me that the surprise is one of:
  • software (free to distribute)(Wrong)
  • something cheap enough that it can be distributed with the dead tree format Magpi (may cost more than the magazine but probably not by much) (right)
  • Educational giveaway (an announcement of something being distributed to schools or code clubs)(Wrong) (but also right)
I'm most expecting the 3rd option, it's the foundations purpose.
I've got six now (sorry anybody else who went to WHSmiths at Chancery Lane, I bought their entire stock), I've already given one to someone I work with and three others will be given to friends tonight. the fifth will be for my nephew and the sixth is (of course) for me.
I drive a bus up Fleet Street. I got mine from WH Smith at Elephant and Castle and they only had a few left.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

Woll

Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:46 pm

jamesh wrote:I suspect there may be a run on MagPi's over the next few months.

Just sayin'....
jamesh wrote:As I think I posted above, I think the next issue of the Magpi will sell more than a few copies.
A run on the next few months?
So what's in next months MagPi?
A new model Raspberry Pi?
Any predictions sav25?
Who ate all the Pi's?

hippy

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Woll wrote:A run on the next few months?
So what's in next months MagPi?
I thought that, but I now think jamesh was more saying there would be a run, coming in the next few months. And it's arrived. I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:22 pm

No, I think that's it for now - one of these events is QUITE enough to organise for the time being!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Woll

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks for my new Pi anyway. :D
Who ate all the Pi's?

BMS Doug

Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 am

I still need two more Zeros to give away, then I can start collecting spares.
Doug.

DougieLawson

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:34 am

BMS Doug wrote:I still need two more Zeros to give away, then I can start collecting spares.
Get a third, I still need one.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

daveake

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:38 am

DougieLawson wrote:I bet Dave Akerman is busy buying up lots of PiZeros because they'll be easier to fly on his HABs.
One in my hand and 2 on order :-). Just waiting for the USB/HDMI adapters to arrive today so I can check that it works with my software (which it should).

The lack of camera port is a real shame for HAB, as that's why the Pi is used for HAB in the first place - if you don't want a camera then an Arduino Mini Pro is lighter still (lower power consumption so smaller/fewer cells). That said, a USB webcam should work and I'll be attacking some webcams with screwdriver/scalpel/dremel soon to get the weight down.

Dave

hippy

Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:54 pm

It's a no-win situation really. Get the price down to as low as it can be and it won't have something someone considers essential for what they want to do, add that and someone who doesn't want it will complain that it isn't needed and would have been cheaper through leaving that out.

I think the Pi Zero has hit the right mark in aiming to be as cheap as possible, going for the bare minimum but still being usable and useful. I expect I am not alone in being more willing to take greater risks in experimenting with a £4 board than with a more expensive Pi

The Pi Zero isn't, and won't ever be, the perfect board for everyone. Some may want full-size sockets to save on adapter costs, others may say remove the sockets to reduce costs further. We just have to accept that what it is is the compromise the Foundation decided upon.

The Pi Zero may be better suited to application use than desktop replacement out of the box, and turning it into a usable PC-style system for some may mean having to buy adapters, cables and hubs, easily doubling its cost in the process if they don't have those already, but people have the choice; to add to a Pi Zero or buy a more expensive Pi to start with. And no one is forcing either on anyone.

BMS Doug

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:I still need two more Zeros to give away, then I can start collecting spares.
Get a third, I still need one.
If I can get any more I will get as many as I can. I'll earmark you as third in line for one if I get hold of any.

(I'm not one of the people sticking them on e-bay by the way, two were passed on at retail value and the others were gifts).
Doug.

timrowledge

Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:33 pm

It's been 24hrs or more since the last model came out. When is the new one coming?
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:51 pm

timrowledge wrote:It's been 24hrs or more since the last model came out. When is the new one coming?
Week next Friday .
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ric96

Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:21 pm

jamesh wrote:
timrowledge wrote:It's been 24hrs or more since the last model came out. When is the new one coming?
Week next Friday .
Seriously???
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

BMS Doug

Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:45 pm

ric96 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Week next Friday .
Seriously???
Absolutely, the Pi foundation are well known for announcing the release ahead of time, there is no possible way that Jamesh was just being sarcastic.
Doug.

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:07 pm

Well who knows? I mean, now there a 2835 that (reliably?) runs at 1Ghz.... I could see a new revision for the A+ and B+ using that processor. And since the Zero has 512MB, why wouldn´t the A+ receive such an upgrade? Mmmmm....... :?:

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Tzarls wrote:Well who knows? I mean, now there a 2835 that (reliably?) runs at 1Ghz.... I could see a new revision for the A+ and B+ using that processor. And since the Zero has 512MB, why wouldn´t the A+ receive such an upgrade? Mmmmm....... :?:
When I had a RPi B+ always ran it at 900Mhz stable so actually not much point changing anything on the current B+........
Retired disgracefully.....

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Oficially, the processor was clocked at 700Mh, and it was safe to run it at 800, maybe 850. If you were lucky you could push it to 900 and maybe 1Ghz, but not everybody could do it. With this new version of the processor everyone gets 1Ghz out of the box (maybe higher with OC?) so there´s definitely a point.

gregeric

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:25 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tzarls wrote:Well who knows? I mean, now there a 2835 that (reliably?) runs at 1Ghz.... I could see a new revision for the A+ and B+ using that processor. And since the Zero has 512MB, why wouldn´t the A+ receive such an upgrade? Mmmmm....... :?:
When I had a RPi B+ always ran it at 900Mhz stable so actually not much point changing anything on the current B+........
I can't imagine that whatever fab plant is churning out 2835's is producing silicon tuned for one model or the other, so even if they have tweaked things for the Zero (doping or whatever) then in time newly produced parts will work their way into Z/A+/B+

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Tzarls wrote:Oficially, the processor was clocked at 700Mh, and it was safe to run it at 800, maybe 850. If you were lucky you could push it to 900 and maybe 1Ghz, but not everybody could do it. With this new version of the processor everyone gets 1Ghz out of the box (maybe higher with OC?) so there´s definitely a point.
The B+ afaiaa were better overclockers than the preceeding B :shock:

Anyway it is good the BCM2835 still has long life, ROKU must be pleased :D
Retired disgracefully.....

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:46 pm

Just as Sav foresaw a new model coming, I foresaw this question the moment I knew about the 512MB RAM. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to ask it (although maybe they did elsewhere IJDK?) :lol:

I don't have an answer for it though :P
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:55 pm

I guess (hope?) the RPi will be, again, causing lots of headaches to the poor guys in charge of the distributor´s web sites this christmas.... :lol:

On a side note....I read somewhere that the original plan was to produce a higher priced RPi but some guy at Google persuaded Eben the other way around.... now that we have the low end of the price range covered, would it be crazy to aim for the, say, $50 mark?

Return to “Off topic discussion”