NormanDunbar

Jessie - Config Files Open in Libre Office Writer.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:30 pm

Greetings all,

Jessie is great, thanks one and all for the hard work which probably never quite gets the appreciation it deserves. I've upgraded two Pis to Jessie now, one of the latest B+ with 4 cores and my previous B+ with just the one core. I shall give it a while before my old 256 Mb Model B gets Jessiefied!

However, a word of warning - I needed to edit the config.txt on the single core B+ so I double clicked the file in the file manager and waited, and waited, and waited ... a long time!

It eventually opened, but in Libre Office Writer. Someone has configured the default application for text files (*.txt) to open in a word processor. This might possible not be wise, especially if someone decides to save them in ODT format, or similar!

It's probably a good idea to configure *.txt to open in a plain vanilla text editor rather than a rather large word processor. And if you have a single core B+, like I have, it's probably a really good idea to configure this before you attempt to open one! ;)

Cheers,
Norm.
Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Why did Tarzan never have a beard?

klricks

Re: Jessie - Config Files Open in Libre Office Writer.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Any configuration files need to be opened with sudo...... So even if the .txt files were linked to other text editors such Nano or Leafpad, it wouldn't be of any use as the file would then be opened without sudo and you wouldn't be able to save edits.

System / config files need to be opened like this:
sudo nano filename
sudo leafpad filename
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

NormanDunbar

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:11 pm

Evening klricks,

Sudo? I don't use it. For some reason, possibly related to my recent jobs and how I use my laptop and Linux Mint, I have my pi set up with a root password and I su - or login directly with a shell, before running any root specific commands. I'm also a vi user as I really don't like nano at all. It's just how I am.

In the specific case above, I admit to running a gui from root, which is not something I do often, and just double clicked on config.txt from the file manager and had the long wait for it to open, in a word processor.

I sort of agree with you in what you say, admittedly, but we should never assume that everyone stick with the default way if doing things, especially in Linux! ;) With Windows, all bets are off. Under Linux, there are numerous ways to set up our systems, and to skin the proverbial pussy cat!

The gui default, on Jessie, for a text file is, it appears, Writer. This is incorrect in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply, it will be helpful to others.

Cheers,
Norm.

klricks

Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:50 pm

NormanDunbar wrote:....
...... admittedly, but we should never assume that everyone stick with the default way if doing things, especially in Linux! ;) With Windows, all bets are off. Under Linux, there are numerous ways to set up our systems, and to skin the proverbial pussy cat!

The gui default, on Jessie, for a text file is, it appears, Writer. This is incorrect in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply, it will be helpful to others.

Cheers,
Norm.
Maybe on other forums but on these forums I tend to assume default and up to date configurations are in use and believe it is up to the OP to mention any out of the ordinary settings. I try to write replies, not just for the OP, but for anyone who might come across the thread.

FYI on my Jessie installation .txt and .conf files appear to be linked to Leafpad. I have noticed .txt association with Libreoffice Writer in the past Wheezy installations where I installed Libreoffice by apt-get.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

rubikwizard

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:14 pm

FYI on my Jessie installation .txt and .conf files appear to be linked to Leafpad
I have installed Jessie several times in the past few weeks from the image provided on this site and .txt and .conf files are always defaulting to Libre Writer, so I have had to change the file association. I never had this on Wheezy afer installing Libre.

Maybe some apt-get updates have changed this behaviour since the image was released?

NormanDunbar

Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi klricks, Rubikwizard,

Leafpad? Interesting. Did you do a full install of Jessie from a Raspbian image, or from a NOOBS image? Mine was from the Raspbian image. On two pis, and both defaulted to Writer, definitely not Leafpad, which is a GUI editor I quite like.

I've never installed Libreoffice Office on any of my pis, so I've no idea what would have happened on Wheezy had I done so.

Sigh, I do wish the auto incorrect on my tablet would stop putting an apostrophe in "pis" by default! Doing so is similar to crime in multi-storey car parks. It's wrong on so many levels! :D

Cheers,
Norm.

rubikwizard

Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:08 pm

I have installed both the Raspbian image and also used NOOBS, both of them ended up defaulting to Writer.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:55 am

Have you guys updated after installing?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

NormanDunbar

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Evening ShiftPlusOne,

I have run Update and upgrade, but not dist-upgrade, after a fresh install of the Raspbian download. I did not use NOOBS this time.

Cheers,
Norm.

Return to “Raspbian”