titus-a-duksas

u tube needs 'plug-in'? to run, how

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Have got used to most things 'Pi' but don't understand why I can get page such as youtube to load and show main and side bar screens but actual 'play' area remains black and says a 'plug-in' missing so won't run.
Please help out an OAP with no computer back ground. (using R-Pi B+2)

fruitoftheloom

Re: u tube needs 'plug-in'? to run, how

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:12 pm

titus-a-duksas wrote:Have got used to most things 'Pi' but don't understand why I can get page such as youtube to load and show main and side bar screens but actual 'play' area remains black and says a 'plug-in' missing so won't run.
Please help out an OAP with no computer back ground. (using R-Pi B+2)
First and foremost it is trying to use Flash Player, you need to change to HTML5 Player:

https://www.youtube.com/html5

Secondly it will not be a great experience it is best to use kweb if you are using Raspbian Operating System

viewtopic.php?t=40860
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

davenull

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:04 pm

how is it possible to install HTML5 player in iceweasle on Raspbian?
#define S sqrt(t+2*i*i)<2
#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;int main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PointOut(x,y);}}}for(;;);}

rpdom

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:10 pm

davenull wrote:how is it possible to install HTML5 player in iceweasle on Raspbian?
AFAIK Iceweasel supports html5 natively. However video performance will not be good as there is no hardware video support for it.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:22 pm

davenull wrote:how is it possible to install HTML5 player in iceweasle on Raspbian?
You can test HTML5 Browser Compatibility:

https://html5test.com

https://www.youtube.com/html5

A good web browser playing video test:

http://videojs.com

davenull

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:47 pm

what would you suggest to do for best possible video performance, e.g. for youtube videos?
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;int main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PointOut(x,y);}}}for(;;);}

fruitoftheloom

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:00 pm

davenull wrote:what would you suggest to do for best possible video performance, e.g. for youtube videos?
Raspbian Jessie Operating System & kweb viewtopic.php?t=40860

or

OpenElec Operating System http://openelec.tv

stderr

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:21 pm

davenull wrote:what would you suggest to do for best possible video performance, e.g. for youtube videos?
It is lightweight to run youtube-dl on the file you want on youtube and even before it is done downloading, you can start viewing it with omxplayer filename.mp4.part or whatever it is called. You might think there will be trouble when youtube-dl renames the file to end in just mp4, but the system handles everything without incident.

This will run most youtube stuff even on a 256meg pi because you don't have to run X window. You can ssh in twice, once to run your youtube-dl command and the other to run your video.

kusti8

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:24 pm

stderr wrote:
It is lightweight to run youtube-dl on the file you want on youtube and even before it is done downloading, you can start viewing it with omxplayer filename.mp4.part or whatever it is called. You might think there will be trouble when youtube-dl renames the file to end in just mp4, but the system handles everything without incident.

This will run most youtube stuff even on a 256meg pi because you don't have to run X window. You can ssh in twice, once to run your youtube-dl command and the other to run your video.
That'd what kweb does under the hood, except it doesn't download the file, but simply streams it. Kweb is a better option than doing it manually.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

davenull

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:48 pm

do I have to install youtube.dl? I think I read something.
I'm not 100% sure if I have Jessie - how can I verify?how to install youtube.dl then?

next I would have to make those steps - correct?

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kweb-1.6.9.tar.gz
tar -xzf kweb-1.6.9.tar.gz
cd kweb-1.6.9
./debinstall

But instead, I would prefer to stay with iceweasel, if possible, because I first browse, and incidentally, on the side, then also watch videos (e.g., on facebook)...

davenull

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:05 pm

ps,
I activated HTML5 on iceweasel, the video loads, even can hear a little sound, but EXTREMELY slow, then it hangs up - also the rest of the internet sites load extremely lame.

Is this a known Raspi issue?
My Wifi Stick is 802.11n, it's amazing quick when been used by my PC instead!

How can I speed up USB/WiFi on my B+ ?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:12 pm

davenull wrote:ps,
I activated HTML5 on iceweasel, the video loads, even can hear a little sound, but EXTREMELY slow, then it hangs up - also the rest of the internet sites load extremely lame.

Is this a known Raspi issue?
My Wifi Stick is 802.11n, it's amazing quick when been used by my PC instead!

How can I speed up USB/WiFi on my B+ ?
There is no hardware acceleration, plenty of post regards this........

Modern Websites are full of JS, fancy graphics, and various other crud that it takes ages for everything to load and on a limited platform like a RPi Epiphany and kweb Browsers are about as good as it gets.

davenull

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Sorry, I didn't understand that the problem is caused by a (missing) video accelerator or a graphics card.
I assumed it was rather a USB driver issue..

can you recommend an external video accelerator, e.g. by USB, providing also HDMI output like the built-in one?
Working out of the box with the Raspbian GUI and gpp terminal window and X-Window instantly, if a HDMI screen is plugged to it?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:24 pm

davenull wrote:Sorry, I didn't understand that the problem is caused by a (missing) video accelerator.

can you recommend an external video accelerator, e.g. by USB, providing also HDMI output like the built-in one?
Working out of the box with the Raspbian GUI and gpp terminal window and X-Window instantly, if a HDMI screen is plugged to it?
""video accelerator"" :?: :?:

kusti8

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:25 pm

davenull wrote:Sorry, I didn't understand that the problem is caused by a (missing) video accelerator or a graphics card.

You can't.

davenull

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:26 pm

no idea how it is called, anything that makes a hardware acceleration - I am no technician (and not a English speaker).

kusti8

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:27 pm

davenull wrote:no idea how it is called, anything that makes a hardware acceleration - I am no technician (and not a English speaker).
You can't. You can only use what's on the Pi currently available and working to accelerate video, which the best way is kweb.

davenull

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:28 pm

ok, I see, thanks for your reply!

fruitoftheloom

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:30 pm

davenull wrote:ok, I see, thanks for your reply!
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=98752#p827198

stderr

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:52 pm

kusti8 wrote:That'd what kweb does under the hood, except it doesn't download the file, but simply streams it. Kweb is a better option than doing it manually.
Doesn't this require X window? I was looking at the Youtube website on one machine with a web browser, and then downloading on another machine with youtube-dl, and then watching the view on the RPi during the download process. So the pi is doing nothing but the video.

kusti8

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:58 pm

stderr wrote:
kusti8 wrote:That'd what kweb does under the hood, except it doesn't download the file, but simply streams it. Kweb is a better option than doing it manually.
Doesn't this require X window? I was looking at the Youtube website on one machine with a web browser, and then downloading on another machine with youtube-dl, and then watching the view on the RPi during the download process. So the pi is doing nothing but the video.
Well yes. It runs omxplayer in X since kweb runs in X. But the OP is running iceweasel anyways which suggests that he is using X. Most people with this problem are running X. It doesn't make much difference, omxplayer uses the GPU, so there is no need for extra CPU used by X.

stderr

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:38 pm

kusti8 wrote:
stderr wrote:. But the OP is running iceweasel anyways which suggests that he is using X. Most people with this problem are running X.
Most people with slowness on a pi are running X, I believe that.
It doesn't make much difference, omxplayer uses the GPU, so there is no need for extra CPU used by X.
top says around 10% for a modest mp4 file on a 512meg pi.

kusti8

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:55 pm

stderr wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
stderr wrote:. But the OP is running iceweasel anyways which suggests that he is using X. Most people with this problem are running X.
Most people with slowness on a pi are running X, I believe that.
It doesn't make much difference, omxplayer uses the GPU, so there is no need for extra CPU used by X.
top says around 10% for a modest mp4 file on a 512meg pi.
Exactly. X is about 10% or less when not being used.

Kratos

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 pm

I get the best experience on a raspberry pi 2 running Raspbian Jessie. Here's how:
1. Install midori and gnash:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install midori gnash browser-plugin-gnash -y
2. Open midori
3. It should work! :ugeek:

Kratos
PS: I have 128 MiB set as the GPU memory
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Return to “Media centres”