Aramas

The screen is 'sliding' ( gap between screen and bezel )

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:54 am

Hello,

At first I'm sorry for my english and I don't know the perfect world for 'falling'
But the pictures will help you :

I use the screen at 90°, and it seems that the screen go to the bottom.
So on the top you can see the backplate through the screen...
And at the bottom I'm losing a lot of pixels because it's below the limit of the screen.
I think it's because of the weight of the raspberry ?

How can I fix that ??? :?

Otherwise, the screen is amazing and I'm really excited to control the on / off !
Keep on!
Last edited by Aramas on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ulix

Re: The screen is 'falling'

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi,
I think the display panel is glued wrongly onto the cover.
=> There wouldn't be a fix! Think you would have to return the display. (No, the raspberry wouldn't the problem.)

But wait till there is someone is answering, which has this display/ was developing it.

PeterO

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:51 pm

I've just noticed that mine is not mounted straight in the bezel ! At the top the left hand edge is a couple of mm lower that the right hand edge.
Build QA needs improving.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PICO,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Aramas

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:25 am

Hi !

Thanks for your answer.
I have a gap on the bottom right too ( in landscape it's top right )

@ulix : I think it's because of the weight of the rasp because I didn't have this gap when I received the screen. And I think it's 'sliding' slowly because I didn't noticed it on the beginning.
I will try to rotate it to 180° and see if the screen do the inverse

Okay, now I found a new problem : because of the gap, the tactil isn't good at all.
The tactil react like there was no gap, so when I press, the cursor is like 0.5 centimeter below my finger.

JimmyN

Re: The screen is 'sliding' ( gap between screen and bezel )

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:56 am

I've experienced that as well. The adhesive used to fasten the display's metal backplate to the glass front is slightly flexible and it will move. If you hold the glass and press against the edge of the metal backplate it will move back into position and cover the gap. But it comes back when you release the pressure. I found that I could push it into position and clamp it for a couple of hours using some wood blocks and the adhesive would "set" in the new position and stay. I don't know how long it will stay before it shifts back.

I first noticed the gap when I made a frame to hold the display. When you put tension on the backplate to pull the bezel back snug against the front surface you're actually pulling the backplate away from the glass if you apply too much pressure, that's when I pulled mine out of position. I laid the screen face down and placed the frame over it, then put in the four outer screws to fasten it to the frame. I was using limited torque on the screws (only two fingers on the screwdriver) and just snugged them down, but when I turned it over to look I had a gap across the bottom of the screen that wasn't there before. It seems that it doesn't take much pressure to shift it.

I fixed the gap and then left everything a bit loose when I put it back in the frame. It will slide around a little so there is no pressure on the adhesive. If it shifts again I may add some double sided tape, the thin kind not the foam stuff, under the black part of the bezel to hold the glass in a fixed position, and then snug down the backplate to hold that in the correct place so everything stays in alignment.

Aramas

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks for your reply JimmyN,

So I Tried to push the backplate in the opposite of my gap, and yes, it works, but like you said if I release the pressure the gap come again.

I'm afraid to do your tips with the wood because I need to put a lot of pressure on the black edge ( I mean the black corner where there is the touch screen ), and I'm afraid that it break... However I think I will try for the gap of the top because there is a lot of place to stick the tape

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:37 pm

This almost implies that
a..these displays were only assemblied very, very recently, and
b..that the glue used takes literally days to cure.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

ulix

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:16 pm

@texy,
or the glue never really cures? Because it's on glas...

I noticed as well, that the metal frame is not hard fixed to the bezel. It moves slightly.
I think the production should think of changing the glue.

JimmyN

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:36 pm

texy wrote:This almost implies that
a..these displays were only assemblied very, very recently, and
b..that the glue used takes literally days to cure.

Texy
I received mine on the 10th of September and the glue is still flexible. So maybe weeks to cure and harden, definitely not days.

eggster

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:44 pm

I got my display about two weeks ago (on Sept 22nd). Got a stand on the following Sunday and set the display in this (its not the picture frame stand). About a week later, I've noticed mine has started to slide as well.. its not as bad as the pictures here, but this seems to be an issue.. To my knowledge I havn't put any abnormal pressure on the hardware.. but the way the pi was mounted and how it fit in the stand was snug. Seems over time possibly the wight of the pi itself is causing it to shift slightly.. not sure..

Either way, after reading this thread last night, I changed the way I have the pi mounted on back of the display and reversed how it sits in the stand. We'll see if this corrects the issue..

elParaguayo

Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Same issue here.

My screen is sliding however, I think the problem may be exacerbated by the Pimoroni stand as, if you over tighten the different layers, it effectively pulls the front cover away from the screen. But if you don't tighten it, the layers of the stand slip.

If the glue's simply not up to the job then this, sadly, might be a case where the trademark Pimoroni layer design doesn't work. It's a shame because it looks quite smart however I'm staying hopeful that they'll find a solution for this too.
RPi Information Screen: plugin based system for displaying weather, travel information, football scores etc.

JimmyN

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Mine has gotten worse. Mine has now slumped so low that anything displayed in full screen most of the title bar is off the top and out of sight, and of course the touch calibration has shifted along with it. I have to touch well below the location to get what I want. It seems that pushing it back into position after it has sagged a few times makes the adhesive even weaker. If I had accepted the gap that originally appeared and left it alone it might not be this bad now, or not, hard to say.

I took it out of the frame and this is what it looks like. You can see there is almost no border at the top now. But I don't think it will sag down any more as the small FPC cable for the touch is pretty snug across the top. I think it's holding the glass from dropping any more, or at least until it pulls loose inside and touch no longer works, or the pressure shorts out the FPC cable for the display underneath it, pressing it against that metal edge.

So I don't think I'll be building a revised wood case for it so the orientation is correct, this one is upside down, that's why the cable is at the top. I considered double sided tape around the border to stick it to the frame and hold it up, but if I ever have to remove it I'll probably end up breaking the glass, so that would be a dead end as well. I'm just going to chalk this up as an expensive lesson learned and look for another display to build around when I can come up with the money.

elParaguayo

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:02 pm

My front cover is now completely detached other than the connector at the top (at least that's one advantage of not having my screen rotated to the correct orientation!)

RPi Information Screen: plugin based system for displaying weather, travel information, football scores etc.

Aramas

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:41 am

I fixed my gap with strong double sided tape and an old 3d printed things :

The paper is here to add little thickness
1 week and it didn't move.
When I will have the times I will 3D print a perfect sized object to fit the bottom and the top and will paste them definitely with the tape.

Like you said JimmyN I have to remove the tape : I think with a scalpel it will be okay but it's a little thing

RaTTuS

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:12 am

you could go for a RMA
that will get a replacement and then the manufacturers will have something to go on
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Aramas

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:35 am

Yes of course but what about the glue on the other display ?

The problem is fixed ? Or we had no luck and it was a specific problem ?

RaTTuS

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:41 am

I don't know - but if you don't do returns then the manufacturers will not find out.
reporting here is OK but is not as good as letting those who make them find out.
reporting batch numbers may also help
it could be all sorts of things.

Covfefe

Aramas

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:42 am

Yes you're right, I will contact my supplier

JimmyN

Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:09 pm

The problem with returning it is:
1) The expense of postage to send it back.
2) I don't have the original packaging, I've trimmed the standoffs, and I've pushed the screen around several times to get it back in position. They may look at it and say I've voided the warranty by tampering/modifying it, so all I accomplished is sending it on a thousand mile round trip at my expense.
3) If I lay it face down on the desk with no tension in a couple of days it will have crept back to about where it's supposed to be. So if I send it back by the time it gets there everything will look OK, and they'll wonder why I returned it.

I think I've found a fairly easy fix, didn't take long, and so far it's doing fine. After 12~14 hours it still hasn't drooped any. If it holds up for a couple days, and looks like it's going to last, I'll explain what I did to secure it. But I want to make sure it holds up first.

gadgetoid

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:51 pm

JimmyN wrote:The problem with returning it is:
1) The expense of postage to send it back.
2) I don't have the original packaging, I've trimmed the standoffs, and I've pushed the screen around several times to get it back in position. They may look at it and say I've voided the warranty by tampering/modifying it, so all I accomplished is sending it on a thousand mile round trip at my expense.
3) If I lay it face down on the desk with no tension in a couple of days it will have crept back to about where it's supposed to be. So if I send it back by the time it gets there everything will look OK, and they'll wonder why I returned it.

I think I've found a fairly easy fix, didn't take long, and so far it's doing fine. After 12~14 hours it still hasn't drooped any. If it holds up for a couple days, and looks like it's going to last, I'll explain what I did to secure it. But I want to make sure it holds up first.
Who did you buy it from? We are capable of basic reasoning, reading comprehension and discretion, you know, we're not just evil customer service automatons! Well... some of us, anyway.
Wrangler of code @ Pimoroni
Maintainer of pinout.xyz and pico.pinout.xyz

Spectre

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:40 am

Same Problem here :/

[edit]
Does anyone know if the Raspberry-Guys knows this Problem and maybe already fixed it?
[/edit]
Last edited by Spectre on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaTTuS

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:48 am

Spectre wrote:Same Problem here :/
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=121898#p826109

Covfefe

sunng

Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:29 pm

Getting the same issue after purchased for one month. This really turns me down.

RaTTuS

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:02 am

sunng wrote:Getting the same issue after purchased for one month. This really turns me down.
as my previous reply
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=121898#p826109
reporting here will do nothing

[edit]
actually
post the build number of the unit if you want to do anything other than moan

Covfefe

icebob

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Same problem. The frame detouched from LCD after 2 months.

Return to “Official Display”