fruitoftheloom

Lemon Pi, $35 ARM Quad-core A9 open source board

Wed May 20, 2015 10:13 am

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lemo ... ard#/story

ROFL someone is trying to sell me a lemon :!:
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

BMS Doug

Re: Lemon Pi, $35 ARM Quad-core A9 open source board

Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 am

It's a quite nice spec'd board, shame that they can't think of an original name and feel that they have to jump on the fruit Pi bandwagon.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

morphy_richards

Wed May 20, 2015 11:41 am

It seems the USP for the Lemon Pi is that there are "perceived" weaknesses in a Pi's USP, therefore it addresses these perceived weaknesses and so will sell.
It doesn't actually seem to have a USP of it's own. I've seen enough episodes of Dragons Den to make me think this a fundamentally flawed marketing strategy.

DougieLawson

Wed May 20, 2015 11:51 am

BMS Doug wrote:It's a quite nice spec'd board, shame that they can't think of an original name and feel that they have to jump on the fruit Pi bandwagon.
If I were making a "Lemon Pi", I'd call it a "Meringue". The clever folks would get the joke.
morphy_richards wrote:It seems the USP for the Lemon Pi is that there are "perceived" weaknesses in a Pi's USP, therefore it addresses these perceived weaknesses and so will sell.
It doesn't actually seem to have a USP of it's own. I've seen enough episodes of Dragons Den to make me think this a fundamentally flawed marketing strategy.
I'm out. Their indiegogo web page is so full of spelling, English syntax, idiomatic and grammatical errors that it doesn't even look like it's a badly done machine translation. As much as I'd like to spend $25 (£16) the presentation doesn't give me any confidence that it's no just a MLM scam.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

Mortimer

Wed May 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Its a difficult read isn't it!? It would also seem that a Masters Degree in Computing Science isn't enough to be able to tell the difference between a USB 2.0 port and an Ethernet port!! LOL!
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

BMS Doug

Wed May 20, 2015 12:27 pm

DougieLawson wrote: If I were making a "Lemon Pi", I'd call it a "Meringue". The clever folks would get the joke.

Heh, I thought myself that calling it a lemon meringue Pi would be a better choice but you are right, it's even better to leave the Pi off the end.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

gkreidl

Wed May 20, 2015 12:56 pm

A goal of 10000 USD to buy "in quantities" and start mass production? That's ridiculous.
And a power supply (DCin) of 5V/700mA if you include 2 USB 2, and one USB 3 port?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mikronauts

Wed May 20, 2015 1:11 pm

Well, I like the USB 3.0 host, and 2x USB 2.0 host - it will certainly ease the bandwidth crunch.

Will it come to market? Who knows.

Will it have a solid port of debian? Who knows.

Will it have a community as large as RPI's? Unlikely.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Paeryn

Wed May 20, 2015 4:25 pm

I like the notice on each perk:

*Please don't remember adding shipping perk option with this perk in your total order

So if you do add the perk then you have to forget that you did? What do you do if you don't add it, pretend that you did?
I think I'll give it a miss...
She who travels light — forgot something.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed May 20, 2015 4:28 pm

Well, if they couldn't put the ethernet port in the same place as it is on the pi, they'll just label whatever is in its place as such.

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 20, 2015 5:01 pm

At least in the US..calling something a "lemon" is not a compliment. The name is reminiscent of the problems that General Motors had with the Chevy Nova when they tried to sell them in South America (where "no va" means "doesn't go").

Paeryn

Wed May 20, 2015 7:13 pm

They could always try to get Keith Lemon to promote it :lol:
She who travels light — forgot something.

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Paeryn wrote:They could always try to get Keith Lemon to promote it :lol:
Or (for us older techies) Jack Lemon.

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 20, 2015 7:24 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:...The name is reminiscent of the problems that General Motors had with the Chevy Nova when they tried to sell them in South America (where "no va" means "doesn't go").
http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 20, 2015 8:33 pm

clive wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:...The name is reminiscent of the problems that General Motors had with the Chevy Nova when they tried to sell them in South America (where "no va" means "doesn't go").
Fair enough, but the connotations of "lemon" are still perjorative.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed May 20, 2015 10:18 pm

clive wrote:W. H. Heydt wrote:
...The name is reminiscent of the problems that General Motors had with the Chevy Nova when they tried to sell them in South America (where "no va" means "doesn't go").
Just remember that "cli ve" translates from Spanish to English as "command line interface looks", suggesting that it could adversely affect sales of computers that feature that ugly sort of text-based interface ... ;)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

ame

Thu May 21, 2015 1:48 am

You can convert your Raspberry into a lemon by adding Win IoT.
Last edited by ame on Thu May 21, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

blachanc

Thu May 21, 2015 3:13 am

Dhooo, you blew one on my favorite story. :)

Ok, but this one is true... ;)
buick name change

Ben

I beleive that only french canadian would be offended..
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

W. H. Heydt

Thu May 28, 2015 6:45 pm

bobkim started a redundant thread about this board asking about the differences between the Cortex-A7 on the Pi2B and the Cortex-A9 on the Lemon Pi. While the thread was closed as duplicating this one, that's a legit question.

You can go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR ... hitectures to get some comparison data, and follow the links for each core type for details. Note that the table gives a "DMIPS/MHz/core" figure for each core type so you can get a rough guide to performance independent of clock speed.

A short summary is:
A5 (Odroid-C1): single dispatch.
A7 (Pi2B): dual dispatch.
A9 (Lemon Pi): out-of-order superscalar.

Some poking around I've done indicates that the S500 *probably* runs at 1.6GHz, but I've seen nothing official from the LP folks on that. If that figure is correct, it would run about 4 to 5 times faster than a Pi2B. (That's just the CPU. I don't have anywhere near enough data to make a guess about the relative GPU figures.)

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 28, 2015 7:19 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:bobkim started a redundant thread about this board asking about the differences between the Cortex-A7 on the Pi2B and the Cortex-A9 on the Lemon Pi. While the thread was closed as duplicating this one, that's a legit question.

You can go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR ... hitectures to get some comparison data, and follow the links for each core type for details. Note that the table gives a "DMIPS/MHz/core" figure for each core type so you can get a rough guide to performance independent of clock speed.

A short summary is:

Some poking around I've done indicates that the S500 *probably* runs at 1.6GHz, but I've seen nothing official from the LP folks on that. If that figure is correct, it would run about 4 to 5 times faster than a Pi2B. (That's just the CPU. I don't have anywhere near enough data to make a guess about the relative GPU figures.)
Yes but until the LemonPi is released everything is just Pi in the Sky, like the $9.00 board ;)

bobkim has post at least 3 or 4 times to my knowledge and that is afaiac spamming and glad the threads were locked / pulled
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

W. H. Heydt

Thu May 28, 2015 7:29 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Yes but until the LemonPi is released everything is just Pi in the Sky, like the $9.00 board ;)
While true, the LP is claiming that they'll be shipping in August (and there are some supposed to go out earlier), so we'll know one way or the other in about 3 months. The CHIP board...aside from some early shipments (planned starting around September), are scheduled for next May, so that one is a year away. On the other hand, the chip details for the CHIP--as published--are much clearer.

mikronauts

Thu May 28, 2015 8:03 pm

My interest in the Lemon Pi just perked up...
W. H. Heydt wrote:bobkim started a redundant thread about this board asking about the differences between the Cortex-A7 on the Pi2B and the Cortex-A9 on the Lemon Pi. While the thread was closed as duplicating this one, that's a legit question.

A short summary is:

http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

jdb

Fri May 29, 2015 12:09 pm

The thing you have to bear in mind about ARM is that they are not kings of out-of-order superscalar execution. That crown belongs to Intel and in a big way.

The ARM instruction set, being a semi-strict RISC instruction set, was designed around implementing simple in-order cores for low-power, low-area applications. It's only relatively recently that ARM have released designs for superscalar cores and from some of the performance figures, it's clear they have a lot of catching up to do.

Wikipedia says 2.5 DMIPS/MHz for the A9 which compares to 1.9 DMIPS/MHz for the A7. Of course you can use a high-speed process and bump the voltage but in the end your energy use per instruction increases quite a bit when you start chasing raw benchmark numbers. The relationship between power and throughput isn't linear when you factor in these two things.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

expandables

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:34 am

Anyone know if there will be a lemon lime pi? Considering there is now a lemon pi. Oh maybe lemon juice pi!
but maybe there will be a "Meringue" and we forget the name PI. :lol: :mrgreen:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

morphy_richards

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:09 am

expandables wrote:Anyone know if there will be a lemon lime pi? Considering there is now a lemon pi. Oh maybe lemon juice pi!
but maybe there will be a "Meringue" and we forget the name PI. :lol: :mrgreen:
Perhaps someone from Florida might make a key lime pi? :roll:

Return to “Off topic discussion”