User avatar
Paul Webster
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:49 am
Location: London, UK
Contact: Twitter

9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 12:34 pm

This looks interesting for those that want to get to a price even below RPi A.
Planned 9$ single board computer with funded Kickstarter for release in December.
AllWinner chip - built-in wifi - 2 USB - no Ethernet
Pay extra for HDMI Out

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... 9-computer

http://nextthing.co

This is the team that brought out the Otto camera.

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Onboard WIFI, Bluetooth and composite video but VGA or HDMI outputs are done by adding an additional output card?

It's a nice cost cutting solution.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24188
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 1:47 pm

Interesting. I wonder if they will suffer the usually Kickstarter delays and price increases once they realise what a job it is to get his stuff out and working.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 1:53 pm

the reported $20 shipping to the UK puts it out of my price range, If it succeeds and hits the shelves over here I'll get one to play with.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
bobstro
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Central Massachusetts, US
Contact: Website

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 2:01 pm

The little self-contained portable "Pocket CHIP" is interesting.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 6086
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 2:11 pm

I like the board itself, but am sceptical about the price (by the time you add HDMI and shipping, you pay a fair bit and seem to lose GPIO). Seems nice for embedded applications though.

Dutch_Master
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:36 am

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 3:31 pm

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :P

Anyway, I couldn't find the tech spec's, anyone who has?

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 3:42 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :P

Anyway, I couldn't find the tech spec's, anyone who has?

just what is written in the post:
1Ghz processor
512MB of DDR3 RAM
4GB eMMC storage memory

UART
SPI
I2C
8 digital GPIO

Bluetooth 4.0
WIFI B/G/N
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

gandar
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 4:43 pm

I think it's nice but once I get the HDMI that I want for ready viewing, it's cost is another but not as trusted pi.

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 4:49 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
Dutch_Master wrote:Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :P

Anyway, I couldn't find the tech spec's, anyone who has?

just what is written in the post:
1Ghz processor
512MB of DDR3 RAM
4GB eMMC storage memory

UART
SPI
I2C
8 digital GPIO

Bluetooth 4.0
WIFI B/G/N
Unless they're buying in huge bulk, that would reach around $9 - and there's still the PCB and soldering and connectors and whatever.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

Sleep Mode zZ
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 5:10 pm

C.H.I.P seems not to be a serious alternative for Pi 2. It is not as powerful and it only has one USB connector. The price is nice but the price of the additional HDMI adapter brings it close to the Pi 2. I also can't find any confirmation if the C.H.I.P. can output Full HD - maybe it is limited to HD?

If VGA is a necessity, maybe the C.H.I.P. could be a better option than the Pi 2 for some people. - Both needs an adapter but maybe the C.H.I.P. one is smaller, cheaper and does not draw as much power as a general purpose HDMI to VGA adapter.

The A+, on the other hand, could find a serious competitor in the C.H.I.P. It has electronics to manage a battery and can stay connected through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. Those are things that many A+ buyers could appreciate.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 5:19 pm

wut.png
wut.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
What the heck is that? I seem to remember something vaguely familiar about the shape from when I was a young lad...
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

User avatar
killor
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:11 pm
Contact: Website

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 5:22 pm

It's funny, but the Raspberry PI , I think it is still the best option ...
And even more when the next model, take the embedded wifi ;)
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 6086
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 5:24 pm

jdb wrote:
wut.png
What the heck is that? I seem to remember something vaguely familiar about the shape from when I was a young lad...
Could be worse.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/175702/floppy.jpg (inherited a few with my C64)

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 6:23 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
jdb wrote:
wut.png
What the heck is that? I seem to remember something vaguely familiar about the shape from when I was a young lad...
Could be worse.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/175702/floppy.jpg (inherited a few with my C64)
Luxury! I remember waiting for these to load:
Image
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 6:35 pm

Sheesh, now I feel old.

I remember these:

Image

and these:

Image

Mind you, I never actually used paper tape, but I did use punched cards...
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

User avatar
bobstro
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Central Massachusetts, US
Contact: Website

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Luxury!

Image

Edit: Mikro beat me by seconds.

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Luxury!

Image
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 7:21 pm

Too posh!

Image
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 6086
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 pm

...it's hard to find an image for singularity.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 11111
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Sat May 09, 2015 2:55 am

killor wrote:It's funny, but the Raspberry PI , I think it is still the best option ...
And even more when the next model, take the embedded wifi ;)
Say, what? I realize that there are people that would like on-board WiFi, but there has been non comment, let alone commitment for it from the RPF...and a fair number of people who have pointed out that it would be a poor use of resources to include it.

On the base subject...
From one article on this board, I find it strange that the VGA attachment costs *less* than the HDMI attachment. I would have expected it to be the other way around. Still...that would solve the sort of problem a lot of people have had. Just get the VGA board and use whatever old monitor you have sitting around.

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Sat May 09, 2015 3:32 am

VGA costing less makes sense *if* the SOC does not have an hdmi compatible output built in, in which case an external encoder would be needed.

Frankly I am curious at what is available on those two nice 20x2 headers...

It is not (IMHO) competition for the RPi2 by any means, but it could carve out a niche for itself.
W. H. Heydt wrote:
killor wrote:It's funny, but the Raspberry PI , I think it is still the best option ...
And even more when the next model, take the embedded wifi ;)
Say, what? I realize that there are people that would like on-board WiFi, but there has been non comment, let alone commitment for it from the RPF...and a fair number of people who have pointed out that it would be a poor use of resources to include it.

On the base subject...
From one article on this board, I find it strange that the VGA attachment costs *less* than the HDMI attachment. I would have expected it to be the other way around. Still...that would solve the sort of problem a lot of people have had. Just get the VGA board and use whatever old monitor you have sitting around.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Sat May 09, 2015 8:40 am

Well, it's been funded!
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 11111
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Sat May 09, 2015 11:44 pm

BMS Doug wrote:the reported $20 shipping to the UK puts it out of my price range, If it succeeds and hits the shelves over here I'll get one to play with.
I'm a trifle perturbed with the $5 shipping in the US...especially considering they're within 30 miles of where I live. Still...$24 for the board+VGA it's too bad.

User avatar
solar3000
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Sun May 10, 2015 1:56 am

sounds very interesting.
I'll believe it when I see it in stores.
Antikythera

Return to “Off topic discussion”