Finding software installed

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:28 am

I am using the desktop of Raspbian. I have installed software from the pi store - xix music player. How to do I find it now to start it to play an mp3 file? How do I find any software that I am installing? Nothing is on the menu when I install a new package. I look with the file manager in etc and bin and don't find it. Reboot - same thing. I understand that some packages don't add themselves to the menu,but how do I find them to add them?

TIA.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Finding software installed

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 am

1775 wrote:I am using the desktop of Raspbian. I have installed software from the pi store - xix music player. How to do I find it now to start it to play an mp3 file? How do I find any software that I am installing? Nothing is on the menu when I install a new package. I look with the file manager in etc and bin and don't find it. Reboot - same thing. I understand that some packages don't add themselves to the menu,but how do I find them to add them?
TIA.
Some software runs from the command line (terminal) and, as such, may not have an obvious name** which you might find in a bin directory (there's more than one of those). The command apropos keyword, where keyword is "xix" or "music" perhaps will search through man(ual) pages, software descriptions etc. and list possible programs of interest. From that list you should have a possible name and then the command which name will tell the exact path (location) you need to run the program from. Once you know that it may be possible to add a menu entry (but, as that's not something I've done, I can't fill in the details - no doubt someone else here will do that for you).
Trev.
** A classic example of this is the image manipulation program "Image Magick" whose command line name is simply display :o
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

klricks

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:56 pm

You can use a package manager to find what is installed on your RPi as well as search through the 36000+ or so available packages.
Looking at the program descriptions can often give a clue how to start the program.

Aptitude is a text menu based PM which is already installed in Raspbian

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude
Synaptic is a popular GUI PM which you can install.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synaptic
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

JimmyN

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:00 pm

You can use dpkg and send the output to a text file you can scroll through and view at your leisure.

dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > ~/Desktop/packages.txt
Change the path to wherever you would like the file saved.

Return to “Beginners”