tohipfortheroom

Windows Ten Build

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 pm

Microsoft has released a do it yourself software complier for the platform "Internet of Things" I'm not a total expert but I'm neither a noob, within the next could of hours I will be compiling windows ten for the raspberry pi 2, I guess what I would like to know from you guys if I can successfully make a working windows ten build for the raspberry pi 2, should I release it for you guys to test or should I keep it for myself, silly question I know because I believe all software should be free for everyone, but I'm not an expert and I don't want my build to mess up anything, the good news is that if you have the raspberry pi 2, the build will be universal and most likely will work flawlessly, I guess it depends on how good of a compiling job I do lol, would love your guys feedback

electronicsguy

Re: Windows Ten Build

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:54 am

you mean MS has release the source code for windows 10 for you to compile it? I highly doubt that.
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

ame

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:58 am

tohipfortheroom wrote:Microsoft has released a do it yourself software complier for the platform "Internet of Things" I'm not a total expert but I'm neither a noob, within the next could of hours I will be compiling windows ten for the raspberry pi 2, I guess what I would like to know from you guys if I can successfully make a working windows ten build for the raspberry pi 2, should I release it for you guys to test or should I keep it for myself, silly question I know because I believe all software should be free for everyone, but I'm not an expert and I don't want my build to mess up anything, the good news is that if you have the raspberry pi 2, the build will be universal and most likely will work flawlessly, I guess it depends on how good of a compiling job I do lol, would love your guys feedback
I can barely contain my excitement.

Douglas6

Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:27 am

Probably best would be instructions for the rest us to make our own build, in the interests of believing that all software should be free for everyone. Should take less than a couple of hours, no?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:37 am

Check any agreements you've made with MS before releasing anything. You may "believe" that all software should be free, but there are people who hold rights to software that disagree rather strenuously, and some of them have very deep pockets to use to effectively ask courts to agree with them.

tohipfortheroom

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:57 am

Douglas6 wrote:Probably best would be instructions for the rest us to make our own build, in the interests of believing that all software should be free for everyone. Should take less than a couple of hours, no?
Well to download all the tools needed it took me about 2 hours, the compiling isn't taking that long though

tohipfortheroom

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:58 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Check any agreements you've made with MS before releasing anything. You may "believe" that all software should be free, but there are people who hold rights to software that disagree rather strenuously, and some of them have very deep pockets to use to effectively ask courts to agree with them.
Thanks I didn't even think about that

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:51 am

https://www.windowsondevices.com/EULA.aspx
SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You may not

· work around any technical limitations in the software;

· reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;

· make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation;

· publish the software for others to copy;

· rent, lease or lend the software;

· transfer the software or this agreement to any third party; or

· use the software for commercial software hosting services.
Retired disgracefully.....

Jednorozec

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:05 am

I love this one
If it's broken you're not allowed to fix it.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

lumsdot

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 am

If you get it working , please put a vid on youtube.

To be honest i have ditched my windows 8 pc for a pi2,

tohipfortheroom

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:30 pm

Does anyone know where I could find a Board Source Package or a BSP For short, I'm just stuck on this it has to be for the raspberry pi 2 obviously

joan

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:32 pm

tohipfortheroom wrote:Does anyone know where I could find a Board Source Package or a BSP For short, I'm just stuck on this it has to be for the raspberry pi 2 obviously
There aren't any for the Raspberry Pi.

tohipfortheroom

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:34 pm

I've found some that are current I'm just having a hard time compiling them together

ame

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:34 pm

joan wrote:
tohipfortheroom wrote:Does anyone know where I could find a Board Source Package or a BSP For short, I'm just stuck on this it has to be for the raspberry pi 2 obviously
There aren't any for the Raspberry Pi.
Quelle surprise.

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Has nobody explained to you that Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi is still completely vapourware?

It was announced with a massive fanfare on 2nd Feb and nearly three months later there's nothing, nada, diddly squat, sweetFA, the square root of b**ger all that has emerged from Redmond, WA for the Raspberry Pi.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:44 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Has nobody explained to you that Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi is still completely vapourware?

It was announced with a massive fanfare on 2nd Feb and nearly three months later there's nothing, nada, diddly squat, sweetFA, the square root of b**ger all that has emerged from Redmond, WA for the Raspberry Pi.
DL have you signed up for Microsoft IOT Maker Community Developer Program ??

DirkS

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:56 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:

DL have you signed up for Microsoft IOT Maker Community Developer Program ??
He has and so did I. Haven't heard or seen anything from MS after the signup email...

joan

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:00 pm

tohipfortheroom wrote:I've found some that are current I'm just having a hard time compiling them together
Were these BSPs something you downloaded in your IOT package from Windows? Can you give a link?

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:01 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: DL have you signed up for Microsoft IOT Maker Community Developer Program ??
DirkS wrote: He has and so did I. Haven't heard or seen anything from MS after the signup email...
Whatever registration system Microsoft have used for their Raspberry Pi stuff it appears they're holding the SQL server database for it on /dev/null.

The silence is deafening.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:26 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: DL have you signed up for Microsoft IOT Maker Community Developer Program ??
DirkS wrote: He has and so did I. Haven't heard or seen anything from MS after the signup email...
Whatever registration system Microsoft have used for their Raspberry Pi stuff it appears they're holding the SQL server database for it on /dev/null.

The silence is deafening.
Looks like this post by a first time poster is just hot air :roll:

Jednorozec

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:36 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Whatever registration system Microsoft have used for their Raspberry Pi stuff it appears they're holding the SQL server database for it on /dev/null.
Does SQL Server have a /dev/null?
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

ktb

Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:28 pm

I signed up too and haven't heard anything from MS.

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Jednorozec wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Whatever registration system Microsoft have used for their Raspberry Pi stuff it appears they're holding the SQL server database for it on /dev/null.
Does SQL Server have a /dev/null?
DOS does have a NULL: device (cf COM1:, COM3:, etc.)

electronicsguy

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:27 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:https://www.windowsondevices.com/EULA.aspx
SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You may not

· reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;

· make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation;

· publish the software for others to copy;

· rent, lease or lend the software;

· transfer the software or this agreement to any third party; or

· use the software for commercial software hosting services.
I don't know the specifics of the law, but the clause that says: "you may not make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement."

When we run a program on a computer, don't we instruct the OS to make a copy of the program in the local memory, and then copies of individual parts of the program (instructions) onto the CPU. Isn't that technically going against the licence :)
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:18 pm

When we run a program on a computer, don't we instruct the OS to make a copy of the program in the local memory, and then copies of individual parts of the program (instructions) onto the CPU. Isn't that technically going against the licence
Tell that to the judge, and see how good an argument he thinks it is for ignoring "you may not make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement.".... :roll:

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”