jessejamesrichard

Mounting and Organization

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 pm

This is a stupid question, but I'm pretty new to the prototyping piece of Pi. I've played with it a lot, but mostly on the software side.

Here's my question. I'm building out a piece with a camera, voice recognition, a small LCD screen, a batter pack, etc. When I have this all built out, what do I do to mount it or organize this swath of cables and parts? I see screwholes in all these devices, but what do they screw too? Plastic sheeting? Or wood?

TIA.

BMS Doug

Re: Mounting and Organization

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:57 am

whatever you want to do, it's up to you.

Don't mount the Pi or any breakout boards in direct contact with electrically conductive surfaces. beyond that fix them however you want to, to whatever you want.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Ravenous

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:16 am

For all of my old Model As, I just mounted them on old "6BA" sized bolts, with spacers. (They're a bit narrower than M3 bolts and fit fine.) For the newer raspberries the mounting hole size might be different...? (I don't know if anyone knows of any PCB standoffs that fit nicely?)

Whatever you use, secure mounting is worthwhile even on a rough prototype - I managed to destroy a raspi by running it while it was loose in a box, and it moved and shorted a GPIO pin against one of my power connections. :oops:

Burngate

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:27 am

You may have heard the term "breadboard" - there are 2700 references if you use the forum search.
It's not a mistake - people really did screw things to the kitchen breadboard!

So a plank of wood is a good starting point. If you wanted to use a sheet of plastic, you'd have to drill holes in it.
Once you've proved it works you can then tidy it up, putting things in a box, but until then a plank keeps things from moving around.

One of the things you'll need to do is keep the wiring neat.
There are lots of options, but cable ties are good for more permanent wiring, while lacing cord is more removable. A cheaper solution is ordinary string, or cotton thread
You can also use dabs of glue to hold wires in place on the wood.
(For modifications to their circuit boards, Sony used wire-wrap wire, with dabs of glue to hold it in place. Unfortunately the glue they used became conductive after a year or so. I've spent many a happy hour cleaning the stuff off, to cure strange intermittent faults)

SteveDee

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:06 am

Ravenous wrote:For all of my old Model As, I just mounted them on old "6BA" sized bolts, with spacers. (They're a bit narrower than M3 bolts and fit fine.) ...
It seems to me that M3 nuts, bolts, washers and nylon spacers are the most commonly available, and lowest price fixing.

It's a shame that the Pi fixing holes are (only just) too small, but not a problem that cannot be fixed by a few light strokes with a round needle file!

jessejamesrichard

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:26 pm

I've seen PVC sheets on a site in my city. Is this recommended, or have to seen this before?

Ravenous

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:44 pm

You mean, mount the raspi (and maybe other bits) on PVC sheet? Yes, I'd say that should work fine.

Return to “Off topic discussion”