cia48621793
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Hong Kong

How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:12 am

I know Pi 2 was $35, but it was not a full solution, you still need a mouse, keyboard and a monitor, and of course internet. Also Linaro is required to do cross-compile.

I'm also curious about how much is the parts of Pi 2, like CPU, RAM, USB port and sort, and how does the Pi Foundation profits from the tiny computers? If the foundation cannot profit from Pi, they probably wouldn't have planned the Pi 2.

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10493
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:20 am

this is 2 questions
you don't need a mouse keyboard and monitor , they can help but are not needed
you do need an SD card and PSU [though a USB lead may be enough]

as for the BOM - it's probably close to cost but not over it .

if the foundation did not profit then there would be no RPI2 - and no foundation
http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Sh ... ryNumber=0
they are a charity, the profits go back to what the charity does - it's quite complicated they cannot just spend the money willy nilly
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:31 am

I presently have 7 Pis running in my house (only 1 is a Pi2) , none of them have a monitor keyboard or mouse connected.

What's Linaro ? I certainly don't have it.

You can get a headless Pi running for about a tenner (£10/$15) over the cost of the Pi itself.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:40 am

cia48621793 wrote:I'm also curious about how much is the parts of Pi 2, like CPU, RAM, USB port and sort, and how does the Pi Foundation profits from the tiny computers?
We'll never know exactly. You might be able to use the Charity Commission figures Rattus linked, to estimate the profit they make per board. But the distributors also take a profit, and we're unlikely to ever find how much that is.

I agree the profit is probably very low, though.

adlambert

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:51 am

cia48621793 wrote: you still need a mouse, keyboard and a monitor, and of course internet.
Mouse, keyboard, TV I already have. Same with internet.
SD card from my camera, charger from my phone.

So the Pi 2 actually cost me $35 before tax.

mikerr
Posts: 2782
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:14 am

A quick "buy all from amazon" wish list gets me to £50 ($75) for a complete B+ setup:

Raspberry Pi B+ Desktop (700MHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 4x USB Port) £20.80
8GB NOOBS card for the Raspberry Pi £7.51
CSL - 2m HDMI to DVI Cable £3.65
CiT USB Keyboard and Mouse Combo - Black £8.77
USB Wifi Adapter for the Raspberry Pi - By New IT £3.95
Raspberry Pi Micro USB UK Power Adapter £6.17


Total £50.80

public wishlist:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2ISEB0D67Q80A

Could probably knock £10 off that by shopping around
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:29 am

Kind of assumes the OP has a DVI monitor floating around... ;)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:31 am

Let's not start that again :D

Please :lol:

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:32 am

I'll stay with headless, I wouldn't have room for 7 monitors anyhow.... ;)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

cia48621793
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Hong Kong

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:46 am

mikerr wrote:A quick "buy all from amazon" wish list gets me to £50 ($75) for a complete B+ setup:

Raspberry Pi B+ Desktop (700MHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 4x USB Port) £20.80
8GB NOOBS card for the Raspberry Pi £7.51
CSL - 2m HDMI to DVI Cable £3.65
CiT USB Keyboard and Mouse Combo - Black £8.77
USB Wifi Adapter for the Raspberry Pi - By New IT £3.95
Raspberry Pi Micro USB UK Power Adapter £6.17


Total £50.80

public wishlist:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2ISEB0D67Q80A

Could probably knock £10 off that by shopping around
Wait, what? B+ is only 21 pounds($32)?! But the foundation said it was still $35 as well as Pi 2 does...maybe they bulk buy or something I guess...
Also you could choose the Raspberry Pi B+ W/ 8Gb SD Card package, that would only cost 25.49 pounds instead of 28.3 pounds, and it saves a half for the keyboard-mouse bundle .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23918
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:48 am

The Linaro cross compiler is free, from the Raspi github page.

Or just use the compiler that comes with the Raspbian (which is also free).

Not sure what other 'linaro's' there are.

Not sure you should had internet as an associated cost. You either have it or you don't.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Heater
Posts: 13675
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 am

My Pi boards hardly ever see a mouse, keyboard or monitor. Those things don't fit well with my robots and other Pi powered gadgets.

Yes I use a 10 dollar WIFI dongle for network and you need an SD card. Hardly a huge expense.

I do not use Linaro or any other cross compilation tool chain. The Pi and Raspbian are self hosting.

I doubt you will ever get a break down of the component prices the Foundation pays. Why should we? It's not our business. It's like asking Ford how much they pay for all the components that make up their cars.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

cia48621793
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Hong Kong

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:22 pm

Heater wrote:My Pi boards hardly ever see a mouse, keyboard or monitor. Those things don't fit well with my robots and other Pi powered gadgets.

Yes I use a 10 dollar WIFI dongle for network and you need an SD card. Hardly a huge expense.

I do not use Linaro or any other cross compilation tool chain. The Pi and Raspbian are self hosting.

I doubt you will ever get a break down of the component prices the Foundation pays. Why should we? It's not our business. It's like asking Ford how much they pay for all the components that make up their cars.
It's our business, because if the total cost is high and no profit is made, Pi foundation(it was) will not have enough money to research and buy materials to build more Pi, so we will have no Pi 2, money is still ruling this world, regardless if it's charity or not.

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:27 pm

I think you can be assured that they have reserves and are spending the money wisely. :D

EDIT: If you go to their blog page and spend some time reading up on their various educational and business activities, I'm pretty sure you'll find they are a fair-sized organisation and have bee operatign for several years. (Plenty of interesting stuff you may have missed, too.)

fruit-uk
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:19 pm
Location: Suffolk, UK

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 pm

My guess is that it actually costs a bit less than we pay for it ;)

mikerr
Posts: 2782
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 pm

cia48621793 wrote: It's our business, because if the total cost is high and no profit is made, Pi foundation(it was) will not have enough money to research and buy materials to build more Pi, so we will have no Pi 2, money is still ruling this world, regardless if it's charity or not.
a) The Raspberry Pi foundation does not build the Pi themselves.
Farnell and RS pay for the components and factory etc.
RP foundation get a small amount per pi sold

Licenced Manufacture
http://www.raspberrypi.org/launch.html

b) we already have Pi 2 ;)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Ravenous wrote:I think you can be assured that they have reserves and are spending the money wisely. :D
+1

3 years and 5 million Pi's down the line....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

mikerr
Posts: 2782
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:42 pm

CSL - 2m HDMI to DVI Cable £3.65
pluggy wrote:Kind of assumes the OP has a DVI monitor floating around... ;)
Remove the above and add
HDMI TO VGA Cable Adapter £6.88
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

adlambert

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:00 pm

The Raspberry Pi 2 is a computer.
The offer is a computer for $35.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23918
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm

I can reassure people that the Foundation ARE making money on the Pi; enough to support their charitable endeavours and future product development.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

psutton
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Devon
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:57 pm

Don't forget the Pi foundation have the swag store, so you can buy Babbage (teddy), stickers, etc, I am guessing that all goes in to the pot to fund development etc.

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:19 pm

mikerr wrote:CSL - 2m HDMI to DVI Cable £3.65
pluggy wrote:Kind of assumes the OP has a DVI monitor floating around... ;)
Remove the above and add
HDMI TO VGA Cable Adapter £6.88
That's probably going to be more problematical still with all the grief we get with VGA adaptors on here.... :)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Bruny
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:49 pm

psutton wrote:Don't forget the Pi foundation have the swag store, so you can buy Babbage (teddy), stickers, etc, I am guessing that all goes in to the pot to fund development etc.
now I see they also have new Starter Kit 8-)

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 11014
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:28 pm

I presume that, given that RS and Farnell *license* the right to have Pis made, the RPF gets a modest royalty on each one sold. Since the number sold now exceeds 5 million, even a small royalty is going to add up to some serious money. Since RS and Farnell are continuing to make and sell Pis, one must presume that they are making a profit they can live with as well.

If, for sake of argument, one assumes that the royalty on each Pi is $1, then the RPF will have gotten $5 million so far. Unless they go hog wild on the expense side, the RPF will do very nicely for the foreseeable future.

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:53 pm

They've just advertised for a new charity CEO at £100k a year.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Raspber ... story.html
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “General discussion”