pkjavali

Raspberry Pi EMC Compliance

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if Raspberry Pi board was ever tested for CE or UL Compliance? If I need to use it in a commercial space, I would definitely get my finished product certified, however, at this stage, I would be very keen to know if any testing was carried out to prove the design for compliance?

Thanks,

ghans

Re: Raspberry Pi EMC Compliance

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:37 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/an-update-on-ce-compliance/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/easter-picture-post/

All newer models were certified from the beginning since the hassle from 2012 was one nobody wanted to repeat :lol:

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:39 pm

The Raspberry Pi (all models) is tested for CE compliance in a "typical configuration" i.e. when operating as a desktop computer.

If you intend on incorporating the Pi into a product, then the whole product or system must undergo CE compliance testing as a functional unit.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

pkjavali

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks for your reply. It tells me that it was certified once in 2012 for "open case, typical desktop" configuration. Now I am curious if Raspberry Pi 2 was ever tested? especially since SoC has changed, new 1 GB RAM added underneath, the board speed has changed, layout has changed. If the test is not done, I will be keen to know are there any plans in future to get this certified?

Thanks,

BMS Doug

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:15 pm

pkjavali wrote:Now I am curious if Raspberry Pi 2 was ever tested?
jdb wrote:The Raspberry Pi (all models) is tested for CE compliance in a "typical configuration" i.e. when operating as a desktop computer.
All models includes the Pi 2.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

mimi123

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:16 pm

pkjavali wrote:Thanks for your reply. It tells me that it was certified once in 2012 for "open case, typical desktop" configuration. Now I am curious if Raspberry Pi 2 was ever tested? especially since SoC has changed, new 1 GB RAM added underneath, the board speed has changed, layout has changed. If the test is not done, I will be keen to know are there any plans in future to get this certified?

Thanks,
Yes,it was tested for CE compilance (or it can't be sold in the EU).There is CE compilance information is the Pi2B pack(at least from element14).

pkjavali

Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Thank you! this is good enough for me.

sparkytta

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi!
I would like to know if Raspberry Pi Compute Module has this EMC Compliance. Where can I search the certificate?
Because in some customers webs talk about Certified to FCC Class B for the I/O board and the compute module.

Thanks a lot.

xavierfmol

Wed May 06, 2015 9:39 am

Hi,

We are planning to use the compute module into a commercial product, so please can anybody confirm that the compute module is EMC compliant according to CE directives?

Furthermore CE directives require that the manufacturer will issue a 'Declaration of Conformity'; however I cannont find such document anywhere in the RP website. Please, can you publish the 'Declaration of Conformity'?

Thank you very much.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 06, 2015 10:49 am

xavierfmol wrote:Hi,

We are planning to use the compute module into a commercial product, so please can anybody confirm that the compute module is EMC compliant according to CE directives?

Furthermore CE directives require that the manufacturer will issue a 'Declaration of Conformity'; however I cannont find such document anywhere in the RP website. Please, can you publish the 'Declaration of Conformity'?

Thank you very much.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=99532#p690795

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

RaTTuS

Wed May 06, 2015 11:30 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 06, 2015 11:42 am

RaTTuS wrote:did you mean
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=99532#p690795
texy?
Yes I did RaTTuS - thank you. I have edited my post
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

coaxknight

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi All

About Raspberry pi 3:
As per newly Wifi and Bluetooth chips now embeded, and as per :
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 05&from=EN
there !!must!! be a document Declaration of conformity issued and signed by the builder , made available with the item, when imported / sold in CEE.
Could you please tell all of us where to find it?

Thks

CoaxKnight

BMS Doug

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:56 pm

coaxknight wrote:Hi All

About Raspberry pi 3:
there !!must!! be a document Declaration of conformity issued and signed by the builder , made available with the item, when imported / sold in CEE.

Thks

CoaxKnight
If you buy from RS you can see it on the technical references listed as "Statement of Conformity".

If you were buying from farnell I think you need to log in to their website before you can view it.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:10 pm

coaxknight wrote:Hi All

About Raspberry pi 3:

Thks

CoaxKnight
There was a lot of pain involved in getting the conformity, but you can be sure it does conform and a certificate will be available.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

nanohealth

Thu May 26, 2016 2:30 pm

Sorry to drag up and old thread, but I would be grateful if anyone could point me to the actual Declaration of Conformity for the Pi 3.
Sites like RS UK have the declaration for the Pi 2, but not the 3 (they only have the statement of conformity which does not cover EMC).

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu May 26, 2016 5:38 pm

You'll need to get in touch with RS or Farnell, depending on who manufactured your units. They are all tested, and they are all compliant; the manufacturing organisations have the documentation you need.

I should point out that if you are embedding the Raspberry Pi into a device, you are still required to do your own EMC testing; your whole device is liable, not just the component parts, so your whole system has to be tested as if it were one device.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

nanohealth

Thu May 26, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks Liz,

Does this also apply if the Pi is simply placed in a plastic enclosure ? This would not alter the EMC profile as no conducting pathways are added.

I would imagine it would be pretty low risk to self certify with the CE mark in this case.

liz

Thu May 26, 2016 6:43 pm

My understanding (but please check with someone whose speciality is EMC!) is that yes, unfortunately, you will. (It's the "typical configuration" point; yours is not a typical use case.) I'm firmly of the opinion that the requirements have a chilling effect on entrepreneurship; it'd be less of a problem if the testing weren't so expensive - it's a point I've raised with the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills when we've had dealings with them, and the people there were sympathetic, but their hands are tied by international legislation. Best of luck with your project!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

kosso

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi nanohealth,

Did you ever reach a conclusion to this? I'd like to be able to rent out a managed product which is effectively an unmodified Raspberry Pi in a plastic enclosure and am wondering if I'd need to apply for the 'CE' mark again.

I'd be amazed if this was the case (excuse the pun) ;)

nanohealth wrote:Thanks Liz,

Does this also apply if the Pi is simply placed in a plastic enclosure ? This would not alter the EMC profile as no conducting pathways are added.

I would imagine it would be pretty low risk to self certify with the CE mark in this case.

RaspISteve

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Guys,
I've had what might be inferred as an EMC issue with my Pi3. Connected to my big 42" TV. I was toggling between the PI and watching TV. Generally no problems with the mainstream TV channels but I ended up watching the BBC HD News channel. Again all OK with the Pi until I fired up the desktop and the HD news channel just broke up into lost signal. I dropped back to command line and the TV restored.

I recall that removing the HDMI lead solved it but then I had to either stop doing what I was doing with the PI or HD TV. I am using 3m long HDMI leads which are supposed to be 4K types and an HDMI switch.
Share and Enjoy.

RaTTuS

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:20 am

RaspISteve wrote:Guys,
.... I am using 3m long HDMI leads which are supposed to be 4K types and an HDMI switch.
try shorter ones and or without the switch - that is where the problems may be
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “General discussion”