Doody

Re: Pi in mass production?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Do you have an approximate date when the Raspberry Pi will go in to mass production so we can all get our hands on one?

I would like to get this product to the intended grassroots level i.e. buy one for my son and nephews!

RaTTuS

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:18 pm

yes , now, soon YMMV
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Doody

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Well I hope we'll get them before my grandson is born!! >  Taking in to account my son is only 6 months that give's the Foundation plenty of time

rmwebs

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:11 pm

I recall reading that after testing they just needed copies of the paperwork, then could start. However it may be a case of waiting a week or so for a new dye to be done for the boards as they will obviously need to display the CE and (I assume) the FCC logo. I know they are allowed to use a sticker for a while though so it may be ok to start mass production with a sticker on the USB/Ethernet aluminium frame on the board I guess.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:35 pm

rmwebs said:

I recall reading that after testing they just needed copies of the paperwork, then could start. However it may be a case of waiting a week or so for a new dye to be done for the boards....

Raspberry red, no doubt....

Phil Spiegel

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:36 pm

The adhesive label simply has to be non-removable to comply with what has been stated here, surely?

Equally, no revision of the existing screen-print is needed if a 2nd run with just the required logo is made ... okay so that's twice through the printing process; but it may be the quicker solution until such time as the revised silkscreen is available.

boduelmike

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Well, just got onto the Farnell website to check my order (still "backorder", unfortunately), and they are saying "Awaiting delivery" and "Manufacturer lead time 135 days".

That doesn't prove anything, but neither does it give me great confidence.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:44 pm

boduelmike said:

Well, just got onto the Farnell website to check my order (still "backorder", unfortunately), and they are saying "Awaiting delivery" and "Manufacturer lead time 135 days".

"Manufacturer lead time 135 days" sounds rather like their automated system making up numbers again, like they did when they moved all delivery dates back to August.

All we can do is be cautiously optimistic, clap our hands three times and wish...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

bwoodbury

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:14 pm

From Element 14's website

http://www.element14.com/commu.....spberry-pi

Q. When will more Raspberry Pi’s be ready?

A. We are also very excited to say that volume production of the Raspberry Pi has started.  This means that element14 has placed a large Raspberry Pi order with our manufacturing partners to meet demand as soon as possible.  Check back here for more information about our element14 production of the Raspberry Pi.

symes

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 pm

boduelmike said:

Hmm - mine says 'processing' I'm in the UK, are you?

Doody

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:36 pm

The posts do help my concerns a little. Still think suppliers must have more of an idea of how long it takes to produce the product and how long it will take to release these? Question I take it the parts are available for you to manufacture the Pi?

Please post something that will help all of up waiting for orders with a little more substance.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Doody said:

The posts do help my concerns a little. Still think suppliers must have more of an idea of how long it takes to produce the product and how long it will take to release these? Question I take it the parts are available for you to manufacture the Pi?

Please post something that will help all of up waiting for orders with a little more substance.

Doody, according to http://www.raspberrypi.org/arc.....ment-19679 RS are expecting to update customers next week with when they expect the next batch. I would imagine Farnell will do the same.

rmwebs

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Doody said:

I'd guess that the likes of Farnell/Element14 and RSI have good supply connections as the RPi isnt the only board they pay to have made. They probably get a much better price than the foundation got on the first 10,000 too, especially since they can order much larger batches. I'd hazard a guess that they will have at least 50,000 done each as an initial run.

Return to “General discussion”