DougieLawson

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:30 pm

mikerr wrote: and there is a "online help" button on the NOOBS pre-boot screen that launches a browser directly into the forums:
What an immensely bad idea. It should open to Google with a prefilled search "NOOBS won't boot site:raspberrypi.org"
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

PeterO

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:09 pm

How many "shell shock" threads do we need ?

Is this proof that an improved search is needed on the forums ?

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

DougieLawson

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:26 pm

PeterO wrote:How many "shell shock" threads do we need ?

Is this proof that an improved search is needed on the forums ?
I think it's proof that the BBC needs to sack Rory Cellan-Jones and Dave Lee (as they are both equally clueless).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:30 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
mikerr wrote: and there is a "online help" button on the NOOBS pre-boot screen that launches a browser directly into the forums:
What an immensely bad idea. It should open to Google with a prefilled search "NOOBS won't boot site:raspberrypi.org"
IMHO we should open a browser directly to the BOOT PROBLEMS STICKY, as that is what most users with boot problems need. :mrgreen: :ugeek:

DougieLawson

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:32 pm

mahjongg wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
IMHO we should open a browser directly to the BOOT PROBLEMS STICKY, as that is what most users with boot problems need. :mrgreen: :ugeek:
Do you want to create the Github issue against NOOBS for that or should I?

PeterO

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:27 pm

And still they start new threads......
PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

PeterO

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:54 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Q: How much time does it take to click a link and scroll a page ?
A: More than some people are prepared to spend to find an answer they've already spent hours failing to find !
PeterO

morphy_richards

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:11 pm

People who clean up their dog's poo in a plastic bag...

...and then leave it hanging off a tree branch!

BMS Doug

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:26 pm

morphy_richards wrote:People who clean up their dog's poo in a plastic bag...

...and then leave it hanging off a tree branch!
Yuck.

So they can cope with the basic concept of pick up after the dog, they just prefer to offend everyone by openly displaying the byproduct instead of throwing it into the appropriate bin. I'd be inclined to hang them from the trees, if I caught them at it.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

DirkS

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:10 pm

BMS Doug wrote:So they can cope with the basic concept of pick up after the dog, they just prefer to offend everyone by openly displaying the byproduct instead of throwing it into the appropriate bin. I'd be inclined to hang them from the trees, if I caught them at it.
Some people actually 'recover' the stuff from somewhere in the middle of the woods where it's bothering nobody, put it in a bag and then hang it in a tree or put it on a post in the car park...

BTW: dog bins are not always available, partly because organisations have to dispose of it as hazardous waste, which of course costs extra.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote: Do you want to create the Github issue against NOOBS for that or should I?
does not compute, if they can boot NOOBS, then they don't need the sticky anymore, and I obviously wasn't serious about redirecting their (PC based) browser directly to the boot problems sticky...

I just wished that people would look for a few minutes in the forum before posting (obviously with their PC) yet another "I cannot boot my PI" post. I guess that too much to hope for!

DougieLawson

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 am

What is it with all of the "students" posting on here trying to get us to provide the answers to their homework questions. Can't they use GOOGLE?

Ravenous

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 am

Yep, it's the Autumn term again :)

In my day we copied off our mates, that was the decent thing to do :shock:

PeterO

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:36 am

DougieLawson wrote:What is it with all of the "students" posting on here trying to get us to provide the answers to their homework questions. Can't they use GOOGLE?
Not just course homework, but final year projects as well :roll:
Also, people that spend a couple of minutes writing a question when they could have had the answer from google->stackoverflow->answer in about 10 seconds. That doesn't sound like lazyness.......
PeterO

mikerr

Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:14 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/o ... tomer-debt
Wonga will write off the outstanding debts of 330,000 people who are in arrears of 30 days or more,
and let a further 45,000 people who are in arrears of less than 30 days, as of 2 October, to pay back their loans without interest or charges.
Hate wonga's ridiculous interest rates of course,
but now they are wiping out people's debt if its over 30 days in arrears :shock:

Sends totally wrong message IMO
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

BMS Doug

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:03 pm

mikerr wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/o ... tomer-debt
Wonga will write off the outstanding debts of 330,000 people who are in arrears of 30 days or more,
and let a further 45,000 people who are in arrears of less than 30 days, as of 2 October, to pay back their loans without interest or charges.
but now they are wiping out people's debt if its over 30 days in arrears :shock:

Every time I see any of those lending adverts I shudder at the rates (seriously, 4,214% interest?) if you can't afford to not have the money then you definitely can't afford this interest rate.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

abishur

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:10 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
mikerr wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/o ... tomer-debt

Every time I see any of those lending adverts I shudder at the rates (seriously, 4,214% interest?) if you can't afford to not have the money then you definitely can't afford this interest rate.
Man I wish my wife's student loan interest rates has been that low. The "guvment" backed student loans here in the states can easily run up to 8%. Each semester they would issue her a new loan at some random interest rate. When we got married she had 8 different loans with them. We had to spend hours comparing the different loans in excel to figure out which one to pay off first, which one to pay most of it off then transition to a different loan to maximize payment savings... it was insane. I actually remember briefly dating a girl whose parents were celebrating the fact that they had just finished paying off their college loans; they were in their 50s.

Which is a great time to say having attended 7 different colleges spread across America "You suck college systems in America!" You suck at teaching skills, you suck at encouraging independent thought, you suck at offering a balanced spread of subjects (point in case, as an electrical engineer I had to take 4 English classes, 2 History Classes, 1 fine arts, 1 PE, etc. My arts major sister had to take a single remedial math class and no science). You just plain suck.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

DirkS

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Man I wish my wife's student loan interest rates has been that low.
Euh... that's comma, not a dot: 4214% APR.
Just a little example for a 30 day loan (taken straight from their website)
Borrowing £400 + Interest & fees £127.15 = Total to repay £527.15

abishur

Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:27 pm

DirkS wrote:
Man I wish my wife's student loan interest rates has been that low.
Euh... that's comma, not a dot: 4214% APR.
:shock:
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

hippy

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Don't forget those astronomical APR's have to be considered in respect of how the loans are notionally intended; short term loans until next payday. In that respect borrowing £100 for 7 days and paying £11 in interest and fees might be considered not too bad, even though that's a huge APR, and it can even be cheaper than what a bank might charge. If I borrowed the same off a friend I'd probably end up paying the equivalent in beers by way of thanks.

The loans are great if you occasionally happen to be short on cash just before payday but that's not likely the case for most people using the service. Most are probably regularly spending more than their income and are therefore consistently short before payday. It's an attractive option but interest and fees simply makes them even shorter next time round. They end up having to borrow sooner, borrow more, and may extend repayment which then increases interest and fees and makes it worse again. They end trapped in a spiral of escalating debt which is hard to get out of and that really does suck.

dave j

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:56 pm

mikerr wrote:Hate wonga's ridiculous interest rates of course,

I suspect the people who are having their debt wiped out have paid off the amount they originally borrowed many times over and are actually being let off some of the extortionate interest and late payments charges.

The FSA must have issued some serious threats to Wonga to get them to do this.

BlackberryTart

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:24 am

What sucks is the fact that it's shown that venting makes you a worse person (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/web ... -harm-good) and this forum has a thread to vent on!
Blackberry tarts are sort of like raspberry pies, but they are more purple and sour.

Ravenous

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:28 am

BlackberryTart wrote:...it's shown that venting makes you a worse person
NO IT DOES NOT!!!

only kidding :)

r3d4

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 am

BlackberryTart wrote:What sucks is the fact that it's shown that venting makes you a worse person
:lol:

@BlackberryTart btw i think you should see your local phrenologist , you never know what you might learn from that .

---
'if you're not angry you're not paying attention'

'The peddling of lies:'.. blah blah - the Government
'George Carlin: I Don't Believe Anything the Government Tells Me.'
:roll:

PeterO

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:46 am

M$ fan-bois who think people on a Raspberry Pi forum are in terested in what they think about M$'s latest press release.

PetrerO

Return to “Off topic discussion”