mrpi64

Re: What was your first computer?

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:01 pm

mahjongg wrote:
mrpi64 wrote:A lot of Spectrums and Macs here - where's the IBM or olivetties? (olivetties?)
Didn't own them at the time, but I did work for a company that sold Olivetti M20 computers, with the very idiosyncratic Zilog Z8001 16-bit CPU inside, and their very own, and different operating system called PCOS. In fact that company never sold any of them and they were trashed as unsellable, I rescued a few from the dumpster, I still have one or two somewhere.
the M20 was launched in 1982, so about a year before the IBM PC-XT.

Lucky you - not only are they a piece of computing history, but worth a deal too! (probably with the original OS)
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

mrpi64

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:20 pm

mrpi64 wrote:
AndyD wrote:Commodore Plus/4
This is really cool - someone should do it with the Pi:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... imated.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Plus4-animated.gif
There appears to be a C16 Plus/4 emulator at: http://yape.homeserver.hu/download.htm you should be able to compile the source version on your RPi.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

abcabc

Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:56 am

It was in high school, a PDP11/34 with RSX11M, and was very fascinated by the complexity, and learned a lot. A special situation was that the school for some reason didn't give any documentation or information. They used it for administration so they probably wanted the information to be "secret". But the most probably reason was incompetence. But it gave me an eagerness to investigate.

redhawk

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 am

There appears to be a C16 Plus/4 emulator at: http://yape.homeserver.hu/download.htm you should be able to compile the source version on your RPi.
The VICE project also provides emulation for the C16/+4 (including the PET, C64 and C128) http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

Richard S.

ultimatepi

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:05 pm

My first computer was a Windows 98 one, I can't remember the manufacturer of it, I think it might have been custom built. I then had a Dell Inspiron 530 running Vista and now I have a Zoostorm running 8.1
I am still learning the world of Raspberry Pi, apologies if I double post.

I've learnt one thing about Raspberry Pi: You fix an issue, but then you discover another.

tenochtitlanuk

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:35 pm

As far as my first PC goes, it was an 1802 Elf followed by a Kim-1. I still have the Kim-1 :)
Built two variations of the Elf from the magazine articles. Second one used hand wire-wrapping. One of my students built a Kim and others built various 6502 boards. Had great fun interfacing it to our first Pet 2000 a little later, so as to decompile 1802 code///

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:39 pm

someone once demonstrated his ELF could play "flight of the bumble bee", that was great! Must have an LP somewhere that contains samples of the very first electronic music, and speech, I think it had an other rendition of "flight of the bumblebee".

JRV

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:25 pm

Mine was a Timex-Sinclair TS1000, the American name for a ZX-81.

Cancelor

Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:46 pm

I was born with one. It uses glucose and runs on around 12 watts* ;)

Your brain is more powerful, more complex and more clever than any computer ever built. It is constantly dealing with hundreds of messages from the world around you, and from your body, and telling your body what to do. It gets the messages from your senses - seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, touching and moving**.

*http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -calories/
**http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthT ... 52&id=1528
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

morphy_richards

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:34 pm

Your brain is more powerful, more complex and more clever than any computer ever built. It is constantly dealing with hundreds of messages from the world around you
Bit buggy and unstable though. ;)

RSvedman

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:03 am

I'm born in 1976.
My first computer use was on a friend's C64, probably around 1984.

The first computer in our home was an Apple IIe dad bought for Xmas 1986, with 128K ram, two 140K 51/4 inch floppies and green monitor. that one taught me BASIC.

I was given a Luxor ABC802 probably around 1988, by an aunt of mine, it had two 160K 5/14inch floppies in a huge, heavy aluminium case that was bigger than the computer itself. And the toughest keyboard I have ever seen, milled out of 10-15mm aluminium plates, I kid you not.

in 1992 I used my first summer job wages to buy a used Atari 520STfm, and a C.T.I. CP-F80 printer.
then dad got a Acer 386SX-25 with 4 megs of ram for working at home, and a 14400 bps modem (!!), which I immediately hijacked for use on the Atari.

Next summer I bought a UK tos 1.02 Atari 1040 STF (no modulator) with a SM125 monochrome monitor, and a 520ST (no F, no M) with swedish tos 1.00 (!). Borrowed an AKAI sampler and a Casio CZ-101 synth, and made horrendous music in midistudio JR. Bought a used Mastersound sampler cartridge, and made even worse sounding music with TCB tracker :)

Was given an old Compaq 386SX-20 2meg ram 40 meg hd monochrome VGA LCD notebook and a used Pentuim 75 with 16 meg ram and 800 meg drive, in 1996, toghether with a lightning-struck HP laserjet IIIp when I moved away to university, where I quickly got involved in a computer club and filled my dorm room with borrowed niceties such as a VAXstation 3100m76, Microvax II, 486/33 GRID laptop with color 640x480 LCD, DECstation 5000/20, SGI Indy R5000, Sun sparc IPC and sparcstation 2. At this time a flow of misc hardware started to float by me by reputation and since then I have alwas had more hardware waiting to be checked out and put to use than I had time to do.

By early 1999 i was running NetBSD on the microvax and DECstation (1.2G respectively 1.6 I seem to recall), Redhat Linux on the pentium, which was now overclocked to 100Mhz, maxed at 64M ram and "passively" watercooled from the toilet tank, running hoses to the desk and back to the shower drain through a homemade copper tube "trumpet" shape wedged in the heatsink. 26°C in the room, 22°C in the CPU ;-)

I had a shared 2Mbit radiolink the the campus network, and started spending nights on IRC and thus never finished university, but always stayed in touch with the computerclub (http://www.update.uu.se).

the P75 got a new disk, and was finally replaced by a used Celeron 300A (at 450mhz like everyone did back then), and later ny Duron 650, which was my last windows running puter, it had Win 2kPro on it, dualbooted with Mandrake/mandriva linux. It grew to 10+40+8.4+60 Gig disk and 1.2 gig ram before it finally was too slow in 200..6?..8?, when I was given a friend's old setup, a dual Athlon 2200+ with 2 G ram, and bought a 250 gig samsung Sata drive for it. this was a real powersucker 110Watt cpu and five disks in a miditower case.. got warm++. That held up as main machine until last winter, when I got the one I type this on, a Core I5 4670K on a ASUS Z87-C motherboard. This mobo doesn't have any PATA controller, So at the moment I have no DVD drive and I bought a 120 gig SSD and a 4 Gig SATA disk.

Since my kids arrived in 2008 and 2010 I have drastically (and desperately) tried to cut down on the space used for hardware, and this is where the raspberry comes in, it emulates my Apple and Atari and I have images of most of my old disks, so the machines are in storage. One raspberry will eventually be put inside either my Tektronix 4006-1 vector terminal or my Visual 550 graphic terminal, to make a neat retro display. I just have to find deskspace for them...

My first pi is running printserver for our home wlan, and it is working hard.. I cant believe the huge performance hit the new CUPS workflow created when they switched from PS to PDF internally, it does SO MUCH WORK!

but it replaced a miditower PC so waiting three minutes before printing starts is a reasonable price, and it doubles as completely silent X terminal for connecting to computerclub servers, it's on a KVM switch with my main PC.

Solarfreak

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:48 am

Reading some of the entries in this Thread I feel like a 'Computer Fossil'.
My first computer was a room full of Radio Tubes: A Zuse-Computer: Z22 in the early 50th at the University in Aachen Germany. It had 24 "fast" Memory cells (kernel) everything else had to be put on a drum. Programming was an art, because many logic gates could be micro-programmed and commands had to be placed at the proper location on the drum (depending on the execution time of the command) to optimize speed. The boot strip was about 30 cm long - 5 hole paper tape. My second Computer was built by Siemens and transistorized and a lot faster. It had IBM Card Reader, Punch, a line Printer. The 3rd I used in the US working for Bell Telephone an IBM 1620 machine with variable word length!! The followed a whole suite of 18 bit, 32 bit computers from IBM, General Electric, Digital, Control Data and a lot of other companies (most extinct now). My first personal computer was an obscure 8 bit computer to be used with a tv-screen. The first so called personal time sharing was via an Apple II using BASIC (provided by a Company Bolt, Beranec and Newman??). Later I was partner in a computer shop venture in Belgium where we sold mainly Apple II and Commodore 64 Computers until we got the 3rd of the first Macintoshs in Belgium. Since then I used only MACs through the generations. Until 2 days ago when I bought a Raspberry PI B.

florizel

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:30 am

My first computer is LG desktop windows98. I forgot the model of that desktop now. Its more than fifteen years ago.
I'm not much aware about desktop model during that time.

sigjuice

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:39 am

Mine was a Tandy PC-7. It had a Basic interpreter.

RaceQ

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:14 pm

fozzy bear wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:11 am
howdy folks

The first time I ever had anything to do with
any computer of any kind was when we punched
( blindly according to teacher instructions as we really
didn't know what it was were actually doing)
some program cards for something called
miniwaft
Living in the 70's:

Heater

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Quite so. When I were a lad computers were huge and cost millions of pounds. We only dreamed of them.

The first thing I owned that could actually calculate I had to build from a kit as a teenager in 1972:

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/ ... world.html

Later I got access to real computers with their punched cards and tapes....
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Imperf3kt

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 am

First computer I (or rather, my parents - who never used it) owned, was a second hand custom IBM or something. It had parts of everything and a whopping 1Mb of video memory running Windows 3.11

It didn't have a mouse, but that wasn't an issue.

I later upgraded it by taking a 2Mb graphics card (of the incompatible kind) and frankensteining the ISA AT card.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jcyr

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am

My first computer was built on the RCA COSMAC ELF processor similar to the one shown here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSMAC_ELF

Soon to be followed by a Z80 based system using the Fergusson Big Board:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_Big_Board

The Big Board would normally be populated with 64k of static ram and that's all the Z80 could access directly with a 16 bit address. But then Digital Research, on its last leg, released CPM 3.0 which supported multiple 64K memory banks. So I stacked static ram 4 deep with bent up chip select pins wired to IO ports for bank select. Ended up with a functional CPM 3.0 system with 256K of RAM! Programs could only run in 1 bank, but the other three provided ample space for IO caching and such.

The system was supplied with a 5 pound linear supply and was equipped with two equally heavy Siemens 8 inch floppy drives, an ASCII keyboard and a green phosphor CRT. All of my buddies where tinkering with Apple II's at the time, but even back then I held a deep aversion to all things Apple :lol:
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

k-pi

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:39 am

First one I used was ancient, it was in 1984, it had a single floppy drive, 720KB, but it was a 3.5", not the old fashioned 5.25". :D It ran at about 10MHz or something, & had 512KB of ram, with a monochrome 12" CRT monitor. :)

A few years later, I got my very own computer, it had two 720KB 3.5" floppy drives! It wasn't much bigger than those two drives in overall size, ran at 10MHz, & had a 9" monochrome CRT monitor - & that cost me about £500! :shock:

It took years before I could afford another computer. :roll: But I did get one, & after suffering MSWindows for a while, I ended up running Linux on it in 1999. :mrgreen:

Edit: Edited the date of first use.
Last edited by k-pi on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bensimmo

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:40 am

k-pi wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:39 am
First one I used was ancient, it was in 1994, it had a single floppy drive, 720KB, but it was a 3.5", not the old fashioned 5.25". :D It ran at about 10MHz or something, & had 512KB of ram, with a monochrome 12" CRT monitor. :)

A few years later, I got my very own computer, it had two 720KB 3.5" floppy drives! It wasn't much bigger than those two drives in overall size, ran at 10MHz, & had a 9" monochrome CRT monitor - & that cost me about £500! :shock:

It took years before I could afford another computer. :roll: But I did get one, & after suffering MSWindows for a while, I ended up running Linux on it in 1999. :mrgreen:
(Assuming PC) 1994 they where touching 100MHz with the Pentium, but most would still be on 486DX, still a lot higher than 10MHz, 10MHz was some ten plus years before. Turn of the 80's era.

(Not turn of the 90s I think some early 486SX would be down at 16/20 MHz ?)

Can you remember what it was.

k-pi

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:55 pm

It was old second hand equipment bought for trainees to learn how to use computers. :D
They used 8086 processors, single 720KB floppy & 512MB ram, running DOS 2.1. :lol:

Computer magazines of the time were extolling the virtues of 40 & 60MB HDDs, common were 16MHz 286, 386 had just been superceded by 486, if you could afford them.

Edit: This firm still had a few Amstrads that were about 2MHz with a single 5.25 floppy drive!

Edit2: You got me thinking about the year, & I think you may be right, checking up on when the processors came out, I think it must have been '84 - I didn't realise that I learned to use them so long ago. :D
Last edited by k-pi on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W0LFIE

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Wow, this might have been even more interesting-er with a vote on peoples first computer, but the options list might have been a bit long.. :D

The thread is too long now to read every single line but it looks like most of you started with one of the Sinclair offerings. Shows just how much Mr Clive has affected our lives, where is he now?

I (pre) ordered a ZX80 but it was going to take far too long than an impatient twenty-ger was prepared to wait so I cancelled it and got the OHIO Superboard 2 (Challenger II P) instead, I must have spent more hours programming than I spent playing Space invaders later..

Programing was a slim version of Basic, then Machine code could be used by poking data in to the Memory locations one at a time, there was no way back so any mistakes meant starting from the beginning... Grrr..

It still lives in my loft and worked at last outing a few years ago, much modified by now of course.
:
Time flies like an Arrow, Fruit Flies like a Banana.

bensimmo

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:41 pm

k-pi wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:55 pm
!.....

Edit2: You got me thinking about the year, & I think you may be right, checking up on when the processors came out, I think it must have been '84 - I didn't realise that I learned to use them so long ago. :D
Or how old you've become ;-) :twisted: :lol:

k-pi

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Hey, I'm only a day older than I was yesterday..... :mrgreen:

Return to “Off topic discussion”