Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:11 pm

PeterO wrote:Or calling C/C++ source files "scripts".... :twisted:
Oh blimey that would be the ultimate way to make a C proggie angry, accuse him of being a scripter! :lol:

User avatar
morphy_richards
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: Epping Forest
Contact: Website

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:40 pm

While we're on the topic when and why did programming become coding?

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 5140
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:42 pm

morphy_richards wrote:While we're on the topic when and why did programming become coding?
And when did we stop having Systems Analysts ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

drgeoff
Posts: 9922
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Sandisk's packaging, of SD and micro-SD cards, with a dotted line and scissors symbol. You cut along the line and still cannot get the contents out. :x

drgeoff
Posts: 9922
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:49 pm

OPs who title a topic "How to ...." , don't put a question mark at the end and then in the body ask how to do something instead of providing the 'How to' solution you are searching for.

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:15 pm

drgeoff wrote:OPs who title a topic "How to ...." , don't put a question mark at the end and then in the body ask how to do something instead of providing the 'How to' solution you are searching for.
OPs whose topic title gives no information about what they want to know.
Last edited by BMS Doug on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
Douglas6
Posts: 4783
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:34 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Repliers who indiscriminately quote an entire post, including long useless stack traces and data dumps, etc, and including quotes from previous replies that include long stack traces and data dumps, etc., etc. and then tacking on the bottom something like 'Ok.'

It's enough to give my thumb Repetitive Stress Injuries when scrolling down to the 18th or 20th exponentially lengthening post on my phone.

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:37 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
drgeoff wrote:OPs who title a topic "How to ...." , don't put a question mark at the end and then in the body ask how to do something instead of providing the 'How to' solution you are searching for.
OPs who's topic title gives no information about what they want to know.
OPs who's topic title just says "HELP!" or "It's not working!"
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

User avatar
FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5196
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Bristol, U.K.
Contact: Website

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:13 pm

abishur wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:
drgeoff wrote:OPs who title a topic "How to ...." , don't put a question mark at the end and then in the body ask how to do something instead of providing the 'How to' solution you are searching for.
OPs who's topic title gives no information about what they want to know.
OPs who's topic title just says "HELP!" or "It's not working!"
+1 and "in Spades" if it's also "urgent" ...
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

RobHenry
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:04 pm
Location: UK

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:59 pm

abishur wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:
OPs who's topic title gives no information about what they want to know.
OPs who's topic title just says "HELP!" or "It's not working!"
whose

User avatar
Jessie
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: C/S CO USA

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:22 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
abishur wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: OPs who's topic title just says "HELP!" or "It's not working!"
+1 and "in Spades" if it's also "urgent" ...
Trev.
Don't forget the excessive exclamation points, and following that the attitude you receive when you inform said person that their issue is in-fact not urgent.

mimi123
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 am

PeterO wrote:There are an increasing number of posts where people use the wrong names for things and no one is challenging them to use the correct words.

E.g. refering to language constructs (like for,if,while) as functions..... :evil:
Or calling C/C++ source files "scripts".... :twisted:

PeterO
C source files are scripts. :mrgreen:

http://bellard.org/tcc

I know that they are not scripts but sharing a finding.

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:32 am

Jessie wrote: Don't forget the excessive exclamation points, and following that the attitude you receive when you inform said person that their issue is in-fact not urgent.
It gets worse when their actual post is so vague that you struggle to understand exactly what they want to do.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 5140
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:08 am

mimi123 wrote:
PeterO wrote:There are an increasing number of posts where people use the wrong names for things and no one is challenging them to use the correct words.

E.g. refering to language constructs (like for,if,while) as functions..... :evil:
Or calling C/C++ source files "scripts".... :twisted:

PeterO
C source files are scripts. :mrgreen:

http://bellard.org/tcc

I know that they are not scripts but sharing a finding.
How bizarre !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 5140
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 pm

People who quote the whole of a previous reply, then start their reply with "No" without actually indicating which part of the quoted post they are disagreeing with !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:41 pm

PeterO wrote:People who quote the whole of a previous reply, then start their reply with "No" without actually indicating which part of the quoted post they are disagreeing with !
PeterO
No?
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 5140
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:48 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
PeterO wrote:People who quote the whole of a previous reply, then start their reply with "No" without actually indicating which part of the quoted post they are disagreeing with !
PeterO
No?
Yes ! Turned out they were actually agreeing with me ! :oops:
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:50 pm

PeterO wrote:Yes ! Turned out they were actually agreeing with me ! :oops:
You beat me to it. :evil:

Another one is this word "pls". What does that mean? I ask for help but don't have the time to ask nicely? In fact they usually are asking nicely, it just looks "wrong" to an old duffer like me and I have to remind myself :D

drgeoff
Posts: 9922
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Ravenous wrote:....it just looks "wrong" to an old duffer like me .... :D
The whole world looks "wrong" to us old duffers. :lol:

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:21 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Ravenous wrote:....it just looks "wrong" to an old duffer like me .... :D
The whole world looks "wrong" to us old duffers. :lol:



Because all vowels are unnecessary, no one could possibly struggle to understand if we just removed them.

Bcs ll vwls r nncssry, n 1 cld pssbly strggl t ndrstnd f w jst rmvd thm.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Vowels are redundant on techie forums anyway. All we need is RTFM or at a stretch LMGTFY.

(Only kidding, folks!)

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:29 pm

of course the origin of "pls" was in texting, where you have a character limit per text message so kids learnt to use as few characters as possible, so as to convey a longer message for less cost.

Perhaps this is just continuing the trend, with mobile broadband charging rates / Gb a shorter message costs (fractionally) less to upload and to download each time they view the thread.
please forgive my foolish whimsy, of course it's just an ingrained habit now, but I do like to invent silly rationalisations for bad behaviour patterns

Edit: RTFM is a good first response to most problems.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36560
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:43 pm

BMS Doug wrote:Edit: RTFM is a good first response to most problems.
Plus or minus posting a LMGTFY link to the fine manual you'd like the punter to read.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 5140
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:43 pm

BMS Doug wrote: Edit: RTFM is a good first response to most problems.
I think LMGTFY is the better first reply, as it help them to find TFM :-)
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

drgeoff
Posts: 9922
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:52 pm

BMS Doug wrote:of course the origin of "pls" was in texting, where you have a character limit per text message so kids learnt to use as few characters as possible, so as to convey a longer message for less cost.
Not true. I remember a manager, long before SMS on mobile phones, who passed down all the cr*p that came into his in-tray* with his only action being to scribble "Pls deal" in a top corner.

(* Yes, I do mean in-tray, not email in-box!)

Return to “Off topic discussion”