Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:08 pm

could you help me install adobe flash player on raspberry

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: adobe flash player with raspberry

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:31 pm

No!
There are no versions of Adobe Flash that work on Portable computers with the kind of ARM processors as used on a raspberry PI, Adobe stopped supporting those kinds of systems.

but if the goal is to view YouTube video's then you can do that without using Flash.

Also see: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43#p569243

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:35 pm

This question has been asked nearly every week, Adobe Flash Player is not and never will be available..

In Raspbian Wheezy a workaround is Minimal Kiosk Browser

Alternative for Youtube and similar Video / Radio websites then a XBMC Distro either OpenElec or Raspbmc.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

redhawk

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:38 pm

For flash player use a real computer else you'll have to rely on 3rd party video tools such as XBMC.

Richard S.

pluggy

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:53 pm

redhawk wrote:For flash player use a real computer else you'll have to rely on 3rd party video tools such as XBMC.

Richard S.
I get a lot of flak for making comments like this. They (the pi fanbois ?) don't like the implication that the Pi isn't a real computer. :)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Heater

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 pm

pluggy,

It's not just fanboyism. The Raspberry Pi is faster, has more memory, has more storage and vastly superior graphics than the PC's we were using at the end of the 1990's and into the new millennia. All those machines were sold as "real-computers".

Our opening poster may well be wanting to play FLASH animations rather than video in which case he is out of luck. That is sad for him but it's what happens when you invest in dead end proprietary technology. This is a lesson that has had to be learned many times in the history of computing.

redhawk

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:45 pm

Perhaps "real" was a misleading word, what I meant to say was "use a computer with better processing power and an Operating System that Adobe Flash player supports".

I think the problem with some people is they're buying a Raspberry Pi thinking it's comparable to the power of a desktop PC.
While it's true the Pi can do many things such as file / web servers, play music, play videos and do funky stuff with the GPIO it's by no means a PC replacement.

Richard S.
Last edited by redhawk on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:45 pm

pluggy wrote:
redhawk wrote:For flash player use a real computer else you'll have to rely on 3rd party video tools such as XBMC.

Richard S.
I get a lot of flak for making comments like this. They (the pi fanbois ?) don't like the implication that the Pi isn't a real computer. :)
Nah, it's not the comments.... :P
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Heater

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:16 pm

I'm not sure where the problem lies at the root of this recurring question and many similar questions that crop up here.

Clearly a lot of Adobe users don't know the requirements their FLASH software has for the hardware and operating system to run it.

On the other hand a lot of Pi users don't know or understand the specifications of their Pi.

Judging by some of the questions that come up there are people who have no idea that an ARM is not an x86 or perhaps even that there might be different computer architectures.

Having lived through the era when everyone knew that a Z80 was not a 6502 and even if your machine had the same CPU it probably won't run software from some other manufacturers machine I find all this a bit odd.
Last edited by Heater on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:24 pm

You may mean "lived through" rather than "lied through". :lol:
but I completely agree with the sentiment, and it proves again why the need to have a raspberry PI exists. To better educate people about the realities of what computers really are and how they work.

Heater

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:26 pm

mahjongg,
You may mean "lived through" rather than "lied through".
Well spotted. Perhaps subconsciously I meant both.

Yep, the world clearly needs a different perspective.

pluggy

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 am

Heater wrote:pluggy,

It's not just fanboyism. The Raspberry Pi is faster, has more memory, has more storage and vastly superior graphics than the PC's we were using at the end of the 1990's and into the new millennia. All those machines were sold as "real-computers".
Or to put it another way, the Pi has comparable power to that PC you scrapped off as unworkable a decade ago.

Theres nothing wrong with the Pi, I have 6 of 'em including the new B+, its fabulous for what it can do, but I wouldn't even dream of trying to surf the web with it. Even with pushing overclocking as far as it will go, its still slow and lack of Flash makes it very compromised.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

kusti8

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:48 am

You could try the PiAUISuite, but really, that is why you have other computers.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Heater

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:02 am

pluggy,
Or to put it another way, the Pi has comparable power to that PC you scrapped off as unworkable a decade ago.
Perhaps true. I think I'm not alone in wondering what happened. You see that fine old machine used to run Linux with KDE and surf the WEB just fine. Certainly the machine did not get slower.
...lack of Flash makes it very compromised.
Some would say that was a distinct advantage. Anyway, why on earth does anyone need FLASH?

kosmicken

Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Anyway, why on earth does anyone need FLASH?
Two words: Homestar Runner.

Anybody?

Joe Schmoe

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:24 am

kosmicken wrote:
Anyway, why on earth does anyone need FLASH?
Two words: Homestar Runner.

Anybody?
A whole bunch more words: Lots of sites (including one that I watch/listen to every day) are Flash only - and likely will never "upgrade" to newer/later technology, so if you don't have Flash, you're SOL. I'd really like to be able to listen to this site on a Pi or something like a Pi, but it is no dice. I'm stuck using an old WinXP box - which, at this point, exists primarily for this one purpose.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Heater

Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Joe Schmoe,

"Never" is a long time away. The whole world is moving away from FLASH. FLASH is not available on mobile devices (correct me if I'm wrong). Even Adobe has said that FLASH is a dead end and is moving to modern open standards.

If these sites never advance then they are SOL.

This is a temporary inconvenience.

kosmicken

Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Flash is available for Android.

gkreidl

Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:10 pm

kosmicken wrote:Flash is available for Android.
Only for a limited number of devices and it's not officially supported any more. Adobe stopped flash development for mobile devices three years ago and dismissed most of the developers responsible for it.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Heater

Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:42 pm

And the moral of the story is:

Never trust anyone to make software for you. Unless you get the source code.

Speedwell68

Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:35 pm

I count the days until Flash disappears forever.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:43 pm

Speedwell68 wrote:I count the days until Flash disappears forever.
That will make it particularly difficult to view those sites.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

rpdom

Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Speedwell68 wrote:I count the days until Flash disappears forever.
That will make it particularly difficult to view those sites.
and then those sites will have evolve or die.

Wurlitzer28

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Very recent newbie to the LINUX/Raspberry PI world and have run into this Flash situation about 3 days and numerous hours of failed debugging ago.

Getting through the vindictiveness of some posts this is a great thread especially for newcomers (and there will always be new newcomers).

I have tried all sorts of URL Snooper like programs and my Microsoft Net analysts tools to try and spot the URL which would allow me to use the PI running a Volumio player but no joy.

Had I spotted this thread earlier I would have realized immediately the flash player requirement of the one and only internet radio station I wanted "http://rtoldies.rad.io/#%2Flogin.jsf" was not possible or at least not easy.

While an accomplished Assembly programmer for true multicore/multitasking processors, I would never be so hard on newbies to another hardware/software platform as I am tripping over things many of you did years ago.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:28 am

Wurlitzer28 wrote:Very recent newbie to the LINUX/Raspberry PI world and have run into this Flash situation about 3 days and numerous hours of failed debugging ago.

Getting through the vindictiveness of some posts this is a great thread especially for newcomers (and there will always be new newcomers).

I have tried all sorts of URL Snooper like programs and my Microsoft Net analysts tools to try and spot the URL which would allow me to use the PI running a Volumio player but no joy.

Had I spotted this thread earlier I would have realized immediately the flash player requirement of the one and only internet radio station I wanted "http://rtoldies.rad.io/#%2Flogin.jsf" was not possible or at least not easy.

While an accomplished Assembly programmer for true multicore/multitasking processors, I would never be so hard on newbies to another hardware/software platform as I am tripping over things many of you did years ago.
I ran into a similar problem with the one radio station I wanted to stream off the net (starting about 2.5 years ago). The station's "play now" used Flash and--therefore--wouldn't run on a Pi. Don't know about now, but back then even gnash wouldn't do the trick. Fortunately, after contacting the station and complaining about their use of Flash, I got pointed to a direct streaming URL and have been streaming that station as part of my alarm clock Pi ever since.

in case it helps, here is the command that streams the station...

Code: Select all

mplayer -ao alsa:device=default http://8343.live.streamtheworld.com:80/KDFCFMAAC_SC

Return to “General discussion”