User avatar
redhawk
Posts: 3465
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:13 pm
Location: ::1

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:07 am

One of the launch videos does show a Raspi break out board mating to the new header without issue
What's the URL for the launch video??

Richard S.

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10506
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
Contact: Twitter YouTube

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:08 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:08 am

redhawk wrote: I've also noticed the presence of inductors and MOSFETs around the micro USB port, am I to understand that the LDOs have been replaced with switching bucks??

Is back feeding the USB port still safe with this board??

Richard S.
VBus now passes through the USB power switch. It is impossible to power up a B+ via backfeed, but reverse current (up to the reverse trip point of the power switch) on a powered-on B+ will pass through.

This is one of the reasons that there is now an "Ideal Diode" on the 5V input to the Pi. It's an exercise for the reader to figure out how it works.

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.co ... 2faa1d.pdf
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21094
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:09 am

Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24191
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:10 am

redhawk wrote:
One of the launch videos does show a Raspi break out board mating to the new header without issue
What's the URL for the launch video??

Richard S.
They are all linked from the launch blog post.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

arm2
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:15 am

A lot of very useful improvements. Thank You RPF!
I can't see any pads for a reset switch, am I being blind?
I can see two pads marked 'RUN' what does it do?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:17 am

redhawk wrote:According to the CPC website the GPIO pins have been extended from 26 to 40 it also claims that it's backwards compatible with existing 26 pin projects.
This is actually wrong since a 26 pin connector will not be able to sit on a 40 pin GPIO due to the housing hitting pins 27 and 28.
Richard S.
That may well be true when talking about ribbon cable connectors, but not for fixed (pcb) mounted connectors. So if the additional hardware is ribbon cable connected, there may well be a problem, but for 'shield' type direction connection, it should be OK.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:18 am

arm2 wrote:A lot of very useful improvements. Thank You RPF!
I can't see any pads for a reset switch, am I being blind?
I can see two pads marked 'RUN' what does it do?
The RUN header is the same as P6 on the Model B, it's just been moved next to the PWR/ACT LEDS (top left).
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:29 am

croston wrote:What is the board revision number as reported by /proc/cpuinfo ? Is there a complete list somewhere of all revision numbers that have ever been used?

I need this to update the RPi.GPIO module!
Board revision for the B+ is 0x10.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

User avatar
0xFF
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm
Location: Poland

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 am

Can model B+ be powered directly from 40 pin header's 5V rail ?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 6086
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:34 am

0xFF wrote:Can model B+ be powered directly from 40 pin header's 5V rail ?
GPIO, yes. But not USB.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:34 am

0xFF wrote:Can model B+ be powered directly from 40 pin header's 5V rail ?
Yes. The 5V connection point is *after* the input diode.

For add-on board manufacturers that want to power the Pi this way, it is strongly recommended to add a duplicate of the input diode circuit between the power source and the 5V pin supplying the Pi.

USB Backpower is now not possible, as described previously.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

User avatar
joan
Posts: 14476
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:36 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
0xFF wrote:Can model B+ be powered directly from 40 pin header's 5V rail ?
GPIO, yes. But not USB.
Will the CPUs work?

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:39 am

Bonus feature: flip a B+ over. It's covered in test points (that you can void your warranty soldering to).
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

SteveSpencer
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:19 am
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:46 am

Since we are now told not to use ID_SD and ID_SC, presumably things that used P5 connections will no longer work, or will stop working at some point when the firmware changes to support the ID EEPROM mechanism?

I'm hoping that more details of this will be forthcoming soon, and I'm even more hopeful that RS genuinely do have stock so they can ship my order to arrive tomorrow as promised -- the joy of being an account customer.
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

ame
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Korea

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 am

Does the new board have the capability to turn itself off (i.e. sudo shutdown -h now turns off power)? Or must we have an external switch?

User avatar
joan
Posts: 14476
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:51 am

SteveSpencer wrote:Since we are now told not to use ID_SD and ID_SC, presumably things that used P5 connections will no longer work, or will stop working at some point when the firmware changes to support the ID EEPROM mechanism?

I'm hoping that more details of this will be forthcoming soon, and I'm even more hopeful that RS genuinely do have stock so they can ship my order to arrive tomorrow as promised -- the joy of being an account customer.
I've had a dispatch notification and a Parcelforce tracking number from RS.

arm2
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:54 am

jdb wrote:
arm2 wrote:A lot of very useful improvements. Thank You RPF!
I can't see any pads for a reset switch, am I being blind?
I can see two pads marked 'RUN' what does it do?
The RUN header is the same as P6 on the Model B, it's just been moved next to the PWR/ACT LEDS (top left).
For those people like me who need it spelled out. P6 is the reset header! I wonder why the call it 'RUN' now?

SteveSpencer
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:19 am
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:55 am

I don't have a parcelforce notification, but it does say dispatched for my order :)
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 6086
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:55 am

joan wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
0xFF wrote:Can model B+ be powered directly from 40 pin header's 5V rail ?
GPIO, yes. But not USB.
Will the CPUs work?
Not sure what you mean, but I'm going to go with 'yes'. =)

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21094
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:57 am

joan wrote:
SteveSpencer wrote:Since we are now told not to use ID_SD and ID_SC, presumably things that used P5 connections will no longer work, or will stop working at some point when the firmware changes to support the ID EEPROM mechanism?

I'm hoping that more details of this will be forthcoming soon, and I'm even more hopeful that RS genuinely do have stock so they can ship my order to arrive tomorrow as promised -- the joy of being an account customer.
I've had a dispatch notification and a Parcelforce tracking number from RS.
+1 hopefully receive tomorrow as have no Pi, as a relation has borrowed for school project !
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

arm2
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Any Idea when the schematics will be released?
The Adafruit write up https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... b?view=all includes quite a few parts of the B+'s schematic!

User avatar
joan
Posts: 14476
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:03 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote: ...
Not sure what you mean, but I'm going to go with 'yes'. =)
I'm trying to find out what works if you supply power via the P1 header.

Yes, GPIO and CPUs.
No, USB.

Will everything else work, Ethernet, HDMI, audio, composite video, i,e, is it just the USB ports which won't work if you power via P1 rather than the microUSB?

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:05 pm

SteveSpencer wrote:Since we are now told not to use ID_SD and ID_SC, presumably things that used P5 connections will no longer work, or will stop working at some point when the firmware changes to support the ID EEPROM mechanism?
The board ID is different between B and B+. This will be used to differentiate whether the EEPROM gets probed or not. Firmware updates will be compatible across the revisions.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24191
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:06 pm

joan wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote: ...
Not sure what you mean, but I'm going to go with 'yes'. =)
I'm trying to find out what works if you supply power via the P1 header.

Yes, GPIO and CPUs.
No, USB.

Will everything else work, Ethernet, HDMI, audio, composite video, i,e, is it just the USB ports which won't work if you power via P1 rather than the microUSB?
Everything should work - that post was referring the power INPUT, not what is powered on. So you can still power up the device using GPIO, but not by backpowering via USB.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”