Kernel

Re: What ARM devices do you have already?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:47 am

I guess for most people it will be a phone or tablet

I have a ZTE Blade which has: Qualcomm MSM 7227 600MHz processor

GPU isn't great though: Adreno 200

bredman

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:17 am

A lot of people on this forum (including myself) have used NSLU2.

This is a great advantage because we have experience using something like Debian on ARM with 32MB of RAM. It also gives us experience working from flash drives.

I plan to port all of my NSLU2 Debian projects directly to RPi.

scep

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:07 pm

+1 for the Slug, still serving media round my home - fantastic little devices with a cult following (sounds familiar )

SN

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:44 pm

And another longtime Slug user - though its 'asleep' at the moment (dead memory stick - see swap issue elsewhere)

I also have a £99 HP Touchpad, plus an original 7" Galaxy Tab - solid state computing is the way to go
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

archsaddler

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:09 pm

I Have a left and right with connected hands.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:13 pm

I've got...

An Acorn Archimedes A3010  Works, but not very useful nowadays.

A Disgo 3000 (ugh) More useless than you can IMAGINE!

An Archos 80 g9 Its ok, but being a consumer unit sucks.....

And somewhere about the house there's a more or less defunct Sagem DVB box that uses an ARM core.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:14 pm

archsaddler said:

Hmmmmmmm......  So you're not 'armless then? 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Phil Spiegel

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Um,er ... 3 Risc PCs with StrongArm a reboxed7000 and an A9,and Iyonix plus Virtual Acorns on all PCs and Macs .....looking forward to RiscOS etc on my Raspberry Pi; although I will be looking at the Linux options too.  Admittedly the RiscPCs havn't been powered up for a couple of years, as I use the Virtual version instead, and I only have 1 BBC B left after a clearout a couple of years ago.

A project originally conceived back in BBC B days was my 'Model Railway Application' -then delegated to the Risc PCs relegated to appropriate parts of the layout- but occupying vast space beneath! ....these will be replaced by Raspberry Pi's and PICs 'embedded' into the layout: less of a major advance, perhaps, with the static loft  layout, but convenient for our transportable '1-piece' or Modular layoutboards: everything built in with low power consumption etc.

Now in conjunction with RFid readouts of Tags in passing stock, optical detectors, and dcc control. SolidState memory with SD cards/USBsticks holding stock data instead of floppy or hard drives, but also including Network connectability to link to the master records etc.  As with the 'Walkman'(R); bringing new opportunities into practicality.

Kernel

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:44 pm

SN said:

And another longtime Slug user - though its 'asleep' at the moment (dead memory stick - see swap issue elsewhere)

I also have a £99 HP Touchpad, plus an original 7" Galaxy Tab - solid state computing is the way to go

I hadn't heard of NSLU2 tbh - just had a look and it seems nice

as for HP Touchpad - damn you!! I tried to get one too but they sold out so quickly - waiting for Kindle Fire to become available in the UK now

ecw

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Phones * 2, a variety of cortex single boards (for hacking os'es, and best of all making LEDS flash - flashing LEDS are the bloke version of "oh my god!  Ponies").

Nook color, HP Touchpad (bought in firesale, ordered from Argos at full pice after the US firesale, but before the UK one, collected and paid for at firesale price - sometimes Argis is your friend).

DF3120 photo frame - http://sites.google.com/site/r.....nux/df3120 .  PITA getting a compiler on it, very surprised to see gas being a memory hog.  For £15 it's a giggle.

Joules

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:52 pm

archsaddler said:

And I am running Handroid 2.0, 10 bit digit interface

Chromatix

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Not all of these are hackable, but:

Three phones (Nokia 3310 & E70, iPhone 3G).

RiscPC, TrimSlice.

(Probably) washing machine, microwave oven, several SSDs, etc etc etc.  I probably have more ARM CPUs in my flat than actual computers, even though most of the computers are not ARM based.  And I have a *lot* of computers.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

andytuk

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:11 pm

I have a RiscPC 700 with a StrongARM CPU. Also have many other A3000, A4000 type machines.

Newer ARM based machines would be my HTC Desire, iPad 1, Apple TV mk2 and a BeagleBoard C4.

Prometheus

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Off of the top of my head;

Game Boy Advance SP

Nintendo DS

Game Boy micro

Pandora

Amazon Kindle

Nintendo 3DS

Also, someone gave me one of those officially-licensed Mega Drive multi-game handhelds, which, rather than being a Mega Drive on a Chip solution, runs a (*VERY* bad) emulator on an ARM SoC.

My router and "MiFi" gizmo probably use ARM CPUs, but I'm not 100% certain on those.

I don't have or want a mobile telephone, and I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, but I am planning on picking up one of Genesi's Efika MX Smartbooks at some point this year. All of my day-to-day computing will be ARM-based before the year's end.

SN

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:33 pm

And I have THE daddy of all UK home gaming machines

I don"t think it has ANY cpu at all. . .
nomobile=1
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Jim Brown

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:54 pm

I have a Galaxy Tab 7 (original) and the Galaxy Note. Also an unloved Motorola Droid in the cupboard.

johnbeetem

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 pm

BeagleBoard B4

Various NXP and ST evaluation boards (ARM9, Cortex-M0/3/4) picked up at conferences.

Prometheus said:

I don't have or want a mobile telephone, and I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole...
Likewise.

Blars

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:16 am

stm32f4-discovery that I havn't used for anything yet.  It may wind up as a USB interface extender for my R-pi.

chorlton

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:38 am

A Western Digital MyBook World Edition which ran as a headless server - similar to the NSLU2 architecture - which I managed to compile a few utilities for that didn't come as packages. Sadly now defunct, possibly due to overheating.

A ZTE Blade running CyanogenMod7 (custom ROM) compiled from source - great little phone sold as the Orange San Francisco in the UK. Trivial to root and unlock.

An HP Touchpad dual booting between WebOS and the CyanogenMod9 (ICS) Alpha ROM.

Kernel

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:59 am

chorlton said:

A ZTE Blade running CyanogenMod7 (custom ROM) compiled from source - great little phone sold as the Orange San Francisco in the UK. Trivial to root and unlock.
Nice! I have Swedish Snow ROM on mine not compiled from source though.

As for the people who say they don't want  a mobile - why?

TBH I just use it as a portable computer and rarely make any calls on it

Prometheus

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Kernel said:

As for the people who say they don"t want  a mobile – why?
TBH I just use it as a portable computer and rarely make any calls on it

Well, as far as my requirements go, mobile telephones are far too crippled (I find telephone operating systems to generally be very poor to extremely poor for what I need – Android was a massive disappointment, for example, as it"s just incapable of doing what I need from a computer, and it"s not like my requirements are complex) and have the combined problem of generally having no proper in-built input devices and far too short a battery-life to act as a portable computer as I would require one to be, and the fact that I"d need to pay extra money every month in order to keep it functional just isn"t for me. (Even if you go with a Pay-As-You-Go option, the providers of these now require similar payments per month to those of people with contracts to use the same device, rendering the whole pay-and-go concept pointless.)

That"s why I have a Pandora instead – I"m writing a novel on it, amongst other things, and its battery-life is phenomenal (a *genuine* ten to twelve hours of actual work, gaming, or whatever, for what I do; About thirteen to fifteen hours if I have the lid shut and just use it as a music-player; Or about eight if I have the WiFi on for web-browsing and the like), and it becomes double-phenomenal with the new kernel that"s currently being worked on and tested (I estimate that I should get about twenty to twenty-four hours of usage time on a single charge, from that). I wouldn"t be able to do that on a telephone.

Whilst it hasn"t occurred here, I really do feel that it"s kind of sad that whenever someone says that they don"t want or need a mobile telephone, some people look at them like they"re somehow defective! It"s happened to me lots of times, and I once encountered someone who reacted with nothing short of complete shock, and it wasn"t joking shock, either – I actually found it rude.

I just don"t have a need for a telephone and a telephone can't do what I need, so why should I have or want one? That"s just a complete waste of money and time on a useless object that has no hope of ever doing what I actually require.

SiriusHardware

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:18 pm

SN wrote:And I have THE daddy of all UK home gaming machines

I don"t think it has ANY cpu at all. . .
nomobile=1
It does, but it's a dedicated single-purpose processor made, I think, by General Instruments. The AY-8.... I forget now. AY-8910 seems like a possibility. (Or maybe that was the motorcycle game chip).

drgeoff

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Nobody mentioned the Psion pocket computers. The Series 3, 3a and 3c were x86 but all after that were ARM.

campi

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 pm

drgeoff wrote:Nobody mentioned the Psion pocket computers. The Series 3, 3a and 3c were x86 but all after that were ARM.
I still have my Psion 3A, and also one of those tall ones, an earlier model - I use that as a hand terminal over an RS232 link. Why junk it when it still does the job? :-)

redhawk

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:42 pm

Kernel wrote:I guess for most people it will be a phone or tablet

I have a ZTE Blade which has: Qualcomm MSM 7227 600MHz processor

GPU isn't great though: Adreno 200
I have the ZTE Racer which has the same chipset as the ZTE Blade, Samsung Galaxy Europa, INQ Cloud Touch etc but at the fraction of the cost of more pricy budget handsets.
I also have a second Racer phone I bought for 25 quid from eBay to experiment with different Cyanogenmod builds.
Despite it's low resolution and resistive touch screen it's quite a responsive little phone and a great device to learn Android and hacking stuff like debugging, coding and de-ading apps. :)
It's only a pity Android on the Pi with hardware drivers is taking so long it must be something like 6 months now since I saw that promising looking demo on the front page.

Richard S.

Return to “Off topic discussion”