neftronics

Re: Farnell offering exclusive development software?

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:11 am

Just a quick one... I have just read in an email from Farnell that they are offering exclusive software.

"This powerful, low cost Single Board Computer is designed to provide developers and educators a hands-on approach to programming. Based on a Broadcom BCM2835 containing an ARM1176JZFS running at 700Mhz and a Videocore 4 GPU capable of Blu-ray/HD quality video. Supported by an exclusive bundle of software tools available to Farnell element14 customers only."

Is this true or is their marketing dept. being a bit naughty?!

nick.mccloud

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:28 am

How the chuff should we know - why not ask Farnell???

hayesey

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:41 am

nmcc said:

Well that's another nice warm welcome to a new user eh?

Perhaps the RPF just might know about it if they are making some software available exclusively to Farnell.

colincoach

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:47 am

hayesey said:

nmcc said:

Well that's another nice warm welcome to a new user eh?

Perhaps the RPF just might know about it if they are making some software available exclusively to Farnell.

Good point. Hopefully when the new forum structure is implemented there will be topics that are oriented towards new users and they wont get met with such brash replies!!

neftronics

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:56 am

Oh dear! I didn't realise I had joined an exclusive old boys club! What do I have to do to become initiated?

Joking aside, thanks Hayesey - that's exactly why I was asking. I haven't read anything about it on here and it didn't ring true, so I was trying to get it from the horses mouth.

Sorry if this was a stupid question!

TheTap

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:56 am

I am sure that I am not alone in wishing to be excluded from nmcc's use of the word 'we' in this instance

steviewevie

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:06 am

My wild guess is that Farnell are making up some sort of bundle of tools, probably based on open-source, and they are being a bit liberal with their usage of the word "exclusive".

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:21 am

I've not heard anything about an exclusive bundle of software from Farnell. Liz might know, or maybe its entirely Farnells initiative - up to them really. Whichever, the best place to ask will be Farnell, as it's their software package.

If anyone does find out, I'd be interested to know what the package is!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

meltwater

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 am

It is one which starts a DoS attack on RS Components…using several thousand RPis.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

bbramble

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 am

Probably exclusive as in "no-one else (that we know) has put together exactly this combination of software on a CD"

nick.mccloud

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:00 pm

nmcc said:

Sorry, twas a bit harsh, having a bad day, someone swapped a component on a batch of boards for a customer and we now have to take them back and rework them. Deja vu.

cashaw

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:45 pm

It's a fair question and a good idea if Farnell can offer "starter packs" with a basic SD card loaded and configured to get newbies on their way.

I wouldn't class myself as a complete newbie, but it would also be good if they offered a list of approved USB dongles which are known to work on the RPI, WiFi and bluetooth etc. I have always found the most taxing part of working with Linux is to figure out how to configure my accessories to work with it. I always seem to run into the issue of "Linux does not support the chipset that this hardware contains…"

It's equally ironic that on the day the manufacturing problem with the first batch of the RPI was announced, I was speaking to one of our hardware bods who was describing to me the various problems which can always occur with the first batch of any hardware, including wrong components. He said he always gets nervous the day the first production run of a circuit board is delevered for testing.

getitonbangagong

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:15 pm

nmcc said:

nmcc said:

Sorry, twas a bit harsh, having a bad day, someone swapped a component on a batch of boards for a customer and we now have to take them back and rework them. Deja vu.

Not so much harsh, just rude really, still I suppose that was almost an apology.

grumpyoldgit

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:25 pm

I think perhaps people are getting a bit sensitive. They need to man up a bit. I didn't watch my buddies die face down in the mud ........

getitonbangagong

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Good manners cost nothing.

jamesh

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 pm

getitonbangagong said:

Good manners cost nothing.

Indeed they don't but you were not the original poster who received the reply, and I think it up to them to decide whether the final response from nmcc was appropriate.

No further comment on this subject please. Feel free to continue with the Farnell starter pack stuff though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Joules

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:05 pm

I think perhaps people are getting a bit sensitive. They need to man up a bit. I didn"t watch my buddies die face down in the mud ……..

Well you shouldn"t sell the first 10k of Raspberry Pi"s in a field on a wet day.

neftronics

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:08 pm

OK, apology accepted. nmcc was having a bad day and has been ticked off enough! No hard feelings.

@meltwater: DoS attack on RS - That made me laugh!

A little anecdote: When I visited Farnell's head office in Leeds a few years ago, they had a mural painted in their stairwell depicting a cartoon of their corporate strategy. What sticks in my mind was their army firing arrows from the Farnell HQ over a big hill at a large building with the RS logo on it and lots of other suggested skullduggery! So - DoS attack may not be too far off the mark!

cashaw

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:20 pm

On Look North a couple of weeks back they did a piece on the RPI and quoted Farnell in Leeds as the only global distributer of the device, I wonder where Look North got this information from  I've always admired* Look North's ability to find a local angle to any global news story, however obscure.

I am still smarting after attempting to order a replacement ZX81 keyboard from Farnell in 1986, it was listed in their catalogue. After weeks of waiting they finally responded that they had no more in stock and were unlikely to ever receive any more. My ZX81 is still sat in a drawer awaiting a replacement keyboard (the ribbon cable on those were paper thin).

(* - In the same way that I don't admire this forum's ability to change apostrophes into quotation marks when I edit a reply)

fos

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:37 pm

neftronics said:

Oh dear! I didn't realise I had joined an exclusive old boys club! What do I have to do to become initiated?

Joking aside, thanks Hayesey - that's exactly why I was asking. I haven't read anything about it on here and it didn't ring true, so I was trying to get it from the horses mouth.

Sorry if this was a stupid question!

Some horses don't always talk out of their mouthes.

I thought it was a good question, I received the same email.
https://faroutscience.com

tritonium

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:10 pm

@neftronics

"Supported by an exclusive bundle of software tools available to Farnell element14 customers only."

I dont see the 'FREE' word in there - is this a way of leveraging extra cash from the buyer?

Dave

Andre_P

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:23 pm

I don't know about the Software bundle but I've seen reference to various accessory packs.

I asked if RS were going to do something similar but their Twitter presence didn't know and passed on the information.

I quite like the idea of putting the bundle together. Might be a bit more expensive but it does become a one shop experience.

Chris.Rowland

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:15 pm

I expect that enterprising people will be selling Pi kits, with all the bits you need, including a Pi, Keyboard, Mouse, Programmed SD card, PSU and all cables.

I don't see anything wrong in them making a profit out of that. It seems reasonable that they profit from their enterprise in providing a one stop shop for people who need it.

Toby Stokes

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:03 pm

The whole idea of vendor exclusive software conjures up images of the kind of bloatware Windows machines always used to ship with. I'll be buying and flashing my own SD card so will make an assessment of anything they offer on the basis of whether I need it or not.

tufty

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:37 am

tritonium said:

@neftronics

"Supported by an exclusive bundle of software tools available to Farnell element14 customers only."

My guess would be the usual set of Windows-based crippleware, with an extra .h file defining the Pi constants.

I dont see the 'FREE' word in there - is this a way of leveraging extra cash from the buyer?

Probably.

Return to “General discussion”