reggie4

Help understanding errors on my pi

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:40 am

Hi all,

Can someone

1) point me in the direction of a tutorial/document to help me try and understand program/ file system errors.

2) explain what this message is, from
/var/log/mesages

Code: Select all

raspberrypi kernel: [ 1042.854878] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_txdone: Warning - Got TX status for an empty queue 2, dropping
Thanks in advance,

Reggie.

DougieLawson

Re: Help understanding errors on my pi

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:51 am

Feed the mystery message into Google that will often reveal the reason.
Else pull the source code for the device driver and see if it tells you why it might be issued.
Else if you don't notice any odd effects assume it's just noise or "informational" and can be ignored.

If I write programs that generate messages I use IBM's scheme. Each message gets a three char prefix (so you know where it came from), a four digit number (each message is unique) and a one char severity code (I == informational, W == warning, E == error, S == severe & T == terminating). That should become a world wide standard because it doesn't half make it easier to sort the signal from the noise.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:53 am

it's not a file system error
it's a driver error

google will be your best bet
and or mentioning the thing you have plugged in and what you are doing with it when they appear
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Thaddy

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 am

It means the driver was expecting to have something to do, but there wasn't any work.
That's what you get if you force the operating system to periodically call you when it isn't -according to the driver - supposed to do that. Most of the time this is a case of BAD logging. (lot's of that)
Either a left-over from debugging code or an arrogant programmer. Choose the one you like. Most of the time you can ignore this.
At the times you cannot ignore it, something bad will or has happened.
That's the short explanation.

If you read the log some time after the timestamp and your Pi appears to be functioning normally, ignore it (but take a note just in case).

reggie4

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks all,

I'm looking in the var/log/syslog & var/log/messages to see if my wifi connection has been dropping out.

I Googled this message, and it appears it may be a bug in the wifi driver. To be honest its a bit beyond me.

I'm nervous about installing a wifi reconnect script, because it took me so long to get the wifi working, and i want to understand whats causing the problem, before i try a "patch" reconnect script.

I wondered if there were guides on one understanding the messages, but i suppose Google is the best guide!

Return to “Troubleshooting”