meltwater

Re: 2.8" TFT + Touch Shield Board v1 a/b/c

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 am

texy wrote:Of course mine is cheaper and supplied fully assembled and tested, but no harm in competition :)
Texy
Hopefully work out as advertising the idea of adding and using a mini display and touchscreen with the RPi, which is no bad thing.

Could spend months creating different projects which use it!

The Adafruit module is using:
GPIO #25 (Pin 22) and #24 (Pin 18) - Then usual SPI pins (19,21,23) plus both CE pins (Pin24 and Pin26)

Texy Screen uses:
GPIO1 Pin12 + GPIO#25 (Pin 22) and GPIO#17 (Pin 11) - Then usual SPI pins (19,21,23) plus both CE pins (Pin24 and Pin26)

If the SPI protocol are the same for the displays, then it is just those pins which may need reconfiguring (should be an easy test using patch wires to reroute them).

Interestingly, the Texy screen is using GPIO1 Pin12 for brightness control, which means that the AdaFruit one probably isn't dimmable (less brightness=less power or even the ability to switch the screen backlight off to save power).

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm

I've just blogged my RasPiCamcorder 3 use of this Texy 2.8" screen. Let me know if I got anything wrong.

http://raspi.tv/2014/texys-2-8-inch-tou ... der-step-1
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:55 pm

alexeames wrote:
texy wrote:Hi,
you mean TFT? ;)
I,m not 100% sure, but it may well use the same screen.
Of course mine is cheaper and supplied fully assembled and tested, but no harm in competition :)
Texy
Sorry. I've got LCDs on the brain (understandable I guess. Hold on. TFTs are LCDs aren't they?).

I was just wondering if their GUI would work with the screen I got from you. I have a blog post 3/4 written, just need to do photos and video.

I don't know if you 'do' twitter, but I did this just before Christmas https://twitter.com/RasPiTV/status/4151 ... 48/photo/1
I,ve not seen there GUI, but if it just writes to fb1, then it'd probably work.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:04 pm

alexeames wrote:I've just blogged my RasPiCamcorder 3 use of this Texy 2.8" screen. Let me know if I got anything wrong.

Hi - thanks for the great write-up. Nothing major wrong, although there has been the ability to the use the pi camera and the TFT since fbcp came out back in July.
I note also that you link directly to fbcp binary in one of my pi forum posts. It should be noted that that binary is derived on the initial release of fbcp. I believe there was a later version released shortly afterwards ,although I've used never it (for some reason, perhaps the later version is better/more efficient?).
Cheers,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 pm

texy wrote:
alexeames wrote:I've just blogged my RasPiCamcorder 3 use of this Texy 2.8" screen. Let me know if I got anything wrong.

Hi - thanks for the great write-up. Nothing major wrong, although there has been the ability to the use the pi camera and the TFT since fbcp came out back in July.
I note also that you link directly to fbcp binary in one of my pi forum posts. It should be noted that that binary is derived on the initial release of fbcp. I believe there was a later version released shortly afterwards ,although I've used never it (for some reason, perhaps the later version is better/more efficient?).
Cheers,
Texy
Sadly, I couldn't find anything about fbcp in the forums, even though I remember reading through some of the threads at the time. Perhaps it's to do with the search function and a short search string?

Aha - found it and yes I was in that thread too.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 11#p389811
Must've been working too hard over the summer :)

If I can find the later version, I'll try it :)
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

moesgaard

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi Texy, I bought the Touch shield last october but haven't gotten around until now to implement it. But I have now run into problem when trying to start X This might be beginners questions but hope you can help me. I have reinstalled the 20140107 wheezy raspian dist 2 times with the same result.

Everything runs smoothly during installation and no errors. The boot up process is coming up on the TFT and coming to the command line and there is no problem as long as not trying to startx with FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 startx -- -dpi 60 then the screen goes empty except for a _ in the top left corner and nothing happens.

If trying to start the tft with FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 startx -- -dpi 60 from via ssh this is the response:
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/raspberry:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-2-mx5 armv7l Debian
Current Operating System: Linux morgonluft 3.10.24+ #1 PREEMPT Sat Dec 14 22:04:32 CET 2013 armv6l
Kernel command line: dma.dmachans=0x7f35 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708.boardrev=0xd bcm2708.serial=0x618ab10e smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:8A:B1:0E sdhci-bcm2708.emmc_clock_freq=250000000 vc_mem.mem_base=0x1ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x20000000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:VGA8x8
Build Date: 18 December 2013 05:20:52PM
xorg-server 2:1.12.4-6+deb7u2 (Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>)
Current version of pixman: 0.29.3
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jan 17 22:06:20 2014
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
FATAL: Module g2d_23 not found.

tarmo1979

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:55 am

Hi, i have same 2.8" TFT.
I wanted to built a custom python touch boot script.

Idea is that when RPI boots up it shows my custom boot menu
and i can choose by touching do i want to startx, tightvncserver or something else.

The mouse behaviour is strange. cursor only moves from top left corner to bottom right corner.

But when i try my script after i started startx, then it is ok.

So what should be problem, do i need to load automatically some mouse driver before i start my boot python script?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:11 am

tarmo1979 wrote:Hi, i have same 2.8" TFT.

and i can choose by touching do i want to startx, tightvncserver or something else.

The mouse behaviour is strange. cursor only moves from top left corner to bottom right corner.

So what should be problem, do i need to load automatically some mouse driver before i start my boot python script?
Which language are you using for the script? Does my test python program work OK?
Texy

tarmo1979

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 am

texy wrote:
tarmo1979 wrote:Hi, i have same 2.8" TFT.

Which language are you using for the script? Does my test python program work OK?
Texy
I started to build on the same sample touchv6.py file
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewto ... 45&t=64993

actually this touchv6.py acts same way.
when i run this touchv6.py after startx, then it works ok.

but when i run it at bash, then same problem, that mouse moves only from top left to right bottom.
I think i will try to maybe reinstall whole image. Maybe i screwed something with some update.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:26 am

Hi,
never seen or heard of that problem. It's common to see inversion with an axis, but not the way you describe. Maybe try the calibration routine again before you start from scratch?

Texy

tarmo1979

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:13 pm

texy wrote:Hi,
never seen or heard of that problem. It's common to see inversion with an axis, but not the way you describe. Maybe try the calibration routine again before you start from scratch?

Texy
Tried to calibrate and it sayd something like it's not touchscreen.
I think the issue was when i installed the whole thing i had usb keyboard connected, maybe that messed it.

now i reinstalled the image enabled SSH. Then removed ssh and installed that tft stuff again.
AND NOW ALL WORKING!!! :)

So i think the case was some how related to that usb keyboard while i was installing it first time.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi,
Ah - if it complains that it is not a touchscreen then you needed to use a different event number from the command line.

Glad it's working now,
Texy

georgeperkins

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi All,

Texy, many thanks for this. My screen has been working perfectly for the last couple of months.

I wonder if anyone has managed to get the tft to display a custom boot image (this has been quite a popular topic recently, but for the main screen not an SPI fb tft)
For example: http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi ... -up-screen

Very keen to get this working!

villadomenica

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:04 pm

So, I got my displays up and running thanks to the flawless descriptions here :)
Now busy on learning to use basic GUI elements like buttons. (I'm new to python but using pygbutton is easy!)
What bothers me a little bit is the rather persistent mouse pointer in the tft display. I'm designing a finger-operated device, so no precise pointing and thus no little arrow needed.
Does anyone have a clue as to how to disable or switch off the arrow?

georgeperkins

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:27 pm

You are using pygame? Try adding this line below pygame.init():
pygame.mouse.set_visible(0)

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 pm

For pygame :

Code: Select all

Texy

villadomenica

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:35 pm

georgeperkins wrote:You are using pygame? Try adding this line below pygame.init():
Thanks, that worked :)

meltwater

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Just wondering, but is there anything stopping you from using two mini-screens at once?
Would the SPI bus be able to handle the data and can the CS pins be remapped in the driver?

One screen for each eye... :geek:

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

miesch

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:50 am

Hi Texy,

Got my display and it looks awesome! I had it up and mostly functional in no time on RaspBMC. Just a few issues I had, wanted to see if they were expected. First of all, using the settings you described:

fbtft_device name=hy28a rotate=270 speed=48000000 fps=50 debug=32
the display was very noisy. When I ran

dmesg
it showed that I was running at ~25 fps, not the ~20 fps that it was supposed to be running at. I scaled the SPI speed back to 32000000, which fixed the display and now I am reporting about ~20 fps. Was there a recent optimization to your display or notro's framebuffer that would account for this? I'm not complaining at all, just curious. And as a side note, is your link in the RaspBMC instructions updated to always point to notro's most recent framebuffer?

Also, as I have seen others experience, I was unable to fix the y-axis inversion. The only apparent cause I have seen is the keyboard (?) and the solution was to re-install. Do you have any other pointers for me to try?

Thanks again for the great work. Have you had any more time to play with getting this to work with OpenElec? It doesn't look like OpenElec supports apt-get to update the system on the fly. I may just have to get into compiling OpenElec from source to try to get both the display and touch working in that build. Let me know if you have any pointers for me to start from. Thanks again,

-Mike

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 am

Hi Mike,
I,ve been shipping v2 boards since before Christmas, I assume you've had your v1 display for a while, but only now got round to using it, lol.
Regarding the fbtft drivers, I haven't heard that there are any new drivers, and the github page shows the last was update was December. The procedure will always pick up the latest of course. I haven't had a chance to try RASPBMC or OPENELEC recently, so any further information you can give regarding configuration method you used would be useful ;)
Texy

miesch

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:54 am

Texy,

I actually just received my display this month (I'm the one who wanted a longer ribbon cable). You said that these boards are the 4th version (but 1st using the HY28B), I was just wondering if that was why they could achieve the 20 fps at a slower SPI speed.

Also, my previous post made it sound like I had solved the y-axis inversion problem I was encountering. Can you offer any suggestions on what I may have done wrong? I am going to start over from scratch right now, so I will post if that fixes it. Thanks again for the sweet product!

-Mike

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:15 am

Hi Mike,
The reason I asked is that
A...you stated above you configured it as a hy28a, not a hy28b, and
B..,you have posted this is the v1 thread, not the v2 thread.
So perhaps you have used the wrong configuration procedure?

Texy

shaoq

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:07 pm

hi,
i installed the screen and it works.
later i installed retropie(emulationstation). The screen still works when i start the pi up,
but when i start the emulationstation i get a blackscreen (he starts on the hdmi). I think i have to change the /boot/config.txt,
but not sure... you got any idea wath i have to change? or wath i can do to make it work.
thx.
shaoq

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi,
well you could try using fbcp -search this thread for more details.
Texy

miesch

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi again Texy,

Sorry, I am an idiot :? . I even saw another post earlier in this thread where someone was following the v1 instructions for a v2 board. I don't know why I assumed that was not my issue.

I'll use the correct thread for my version! Cheers!

-Mike

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”