ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: So True

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:04 pm

That is so true.

I think my wife has the holy grail, the ark of the covenant and lord lucan hiding in hers. it's the first place I look these days if I have misplaced something.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:11 pm

The Man Drawer in the kitchen is a good place to start looking for pieces of string, buttons, glue, takeaway menus, drawing pins, and all those things that will come in useful some day.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:54 pm

My handbag is very easily navigated. There's a pencil case in there with a pen, pencil and Moleskine with the useful mini envelope file thing in the back; a makeup bag with makeup and hand cream in it; a phone and a Kindle or a book; a fan (amazingly useful); a wallet; and another little bag with safety pins, tissues, painkillers, sticking plasters and hand sanitiser in it. The use of lots of little bags within the big bag keeps things tidy, easy to find and easy to move across from one handbag to the other. I recommend it.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Joules

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:55 pm

You manage to limit it to a draw!!! We have an entire building for that stuff...

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:00 pm

liz said:

My handbag is very easily navigated. There's a pencil case in there with a pen, pencil and Moleskine with the useful mini envelope file thing in the back; a makeup bag with makeup and hand cream in it; a phone and a Kindle or a book; a fan (amazingly useful); a wallet; and another little bag with safety pins, tissues, painkillers, sticking plasters and hand sanitiser in it. The use of lots of little bags within the big bag keeps things tidy, easy to find and easy to move across from one handbag to the other. I recommend it.

AND 10,000 raspberry pi's.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Joules said:

You manage to limit it to a draw!!! We have an entire building for that stuff...

It was a running joke in my house growing up that we needed to let all the books have the house while we lived in the garden shed we had so many of them. The last count we did before was 100,000+ you couldn't move without tripping over a book and it got even worse once my mother went back to school to get her A Level English Lit and my father broke his leg so couldn't work so signed up to do the same course I was doing at college with all their text books and brodie's notes

E

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:18 pm

For all your OCD bag arranging needs... http://www.cocooninnovations.c.....m/grid.php

I've always quite fancied a manbag, as you can't fit a sketch pad & pencils in your jeans, but I've not quite summoned up enough metro-ness yet.

Chromatix

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Need a manbag that doesn't make you look like a douchebag?

Try a computer bag.  It is also perfect for carrying papers and sketchbooks.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Gert van Loo

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:12 am

Ok guys admit, how many of you have taken your wallet out of your coat and asked your wife/girlfriend: "Can you keep it on your bag?"

digital_addict

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:26 am

It's a well known fact Gert, that in the UK us Royals don't carry cash. That's my better half’s job, she's far more competent at spending money than I am. The computer rucksack is for carrying the laptop + the essentials, and the other computer bag (with shoulder strap) is for carrying the overspill, live CD’s rescue disks r/w DVD’s and flash drives etc. Add that to pockets full of other stuff, where would I store cash?

liz

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:30 am

SiR said:

For all your OCD bag arranging needs... http://www.cocooninnovations.c.....m/grid.php

I've always quite fancied a manbag, as you can't fit a sketch pad & pencils in your jeans, but I've not quite summoned up enough metro-ness yet.

*Swoons* - that looks so…TIDY. Lovely.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

pluggster

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:42 am

I can"t believe what I"m reading here ... Man bags .. MAN BAGS

If you"re a man, then man up and use you"re pockets, it"s what they are there for and if you can"t fit all your stuff in your pockets, leave it!

nichobb

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:27 am

PLEASE NOTE:
Never go into partners handbag - NEVER! Oh, God the theropy is wearing off ... NEVER!
Gert - they got to you and broke you didn"t they? Hand over your wallet without fighting? Yes, I know we lose anyway but it"s the fight that"s important.

I have a "record" bag (aka over the shoulder manbag), it"s a good compromise to take (paper) notebook, tablet and various devices/wiress, etc - However, I"m in london so unless I were a 7" drag queen, dressed in heels and 3 ostrich feathers and a snake as a neckless, nobody will look or care. Actually the only time I drew attention was walking through Waterloo in my dressing gown at 6:30 in the morning (it may have been the black fishnet type leggings I had on I guess).

Luny

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:13 am

I had a 'man-storage' once. When I last moved, I was so worried about the movers breaking my precious stored man things (8 bit stuff/ PC stuff etc.) that I hired a storage for a few months and moved my whole loft into it. Fabulous, wish I could still afford it
Luny

judderman

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 am

pluggster said:

I can"t believe what I"m reading here ... Man bags .. MAN BAGS

If you"re a man, then man up and use you"re pockets, it"s what they are there for and if you can"t fit all your stuff in your pockets, leave it!

I think you'll find that the only true man bag is the supermarket carrier bag.  Ideal for carrying sandwiches & a copy of the Racing & Football Outlook on a Tuesday.

Just my two penn'orth.

Regards, Stewart

Andre_P

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Gert : Yes I have handed over a specifically thinned out wallet to She Who Must Be Obeyed, however she doesn't know my PIN and the currency in there was about £10 and about four $1 notes.

You may ask why I carry a few dollars here in the UK. You see there was this American girl in Taiwan who said she would do something outrageous for a dollar, her face when I produced said dollar was a picture ! I live in hope of that happening again .

nichobb : May I recommend walking through bits of Nottingham wearing high heels, fishnet stockings, basque, speedo's and a lab coat, while holding two enormous water pistols. It tends to turn heads

spurious

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:58 pm

when the wife asks for something from her bag, I just hand her the bag.. much safer!

Cheeky Wizard

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:58 pm

It's so true that many folk are worried about their accessories, especially those belonging to their partners. It is also true that said partner might be asked to reach inside said accessory to pass said implement quite frequently, much to the annoyance of the one being asked.

However it's also So True that you will never be asked to pass their mobile/cell phone from said accessory, especially if phone has just received the text alert!

I suppose it's so true that there are some things we can be grateful for 

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Andre_P said:

the currency in there was about £10 and about four $1 notes.

I have £20, €30, $13(US), $10(Canadian) and 100 of something I think is Bulgarian and 40 years old. I had 5 Zlotys in there until recently.

I have no nefarious motives; I am just really bad at using up all my currency before I leave a country and, if I took it out, I'd forget to take it with me the next time.

riffraff

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:55 am

Mmmm…. As Emelda Marcos was once fond of shoes, so my wife is fond of handbags. When we moved several years back, at the zenith of her fetish, the collection occupied two wardrobe boxes and literally had to be carted in and out of the van with handtrucks.

We are not wealthy people, but she is quite adept at finding sources for designer lookalikes.

We have an interesting filing system. If we're looking for a particular piece of mail or receipt, we have to remember which purses she might have been carrying at the time and search them. When she buys a new bag, she only transfers the necessities, leaving behind bits of candy, gum, vitamin samples from her work and the loose bit of change.

When we were flat broke once, I raided the entire collection and managed to gather up about $21 in singles and coin.

Currently, there are an undetermined quantity in several boxes in the garage, 3 in the boot of her car, about a dozen in the boot of my car and at least a dozen in the bedroom closet.

This is the leverage for my Pi. If she can indulge this fetish, I can at least spend $35 on a new computer. I will probably fund the purchase with gleanings from her off-scouring.

Return to “Off topic discussion”