libredrs

Re: Manufacturer?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Which manufacturer is producing the Raspberry Pi and what is its record regarding workers' rights (and abuses). Given all of the (well-deserved) press about horrendous working conditions and abuses by subcontractors for Apple (and to be sure, many other computer/electronics companies), it is important for potential participants in this charity-based project to know the track record of the manufacturer. Please provide detailed documentation.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:08 pm

You really don't need to worry. The Pis are being assembled by trained pandas.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm afraid a full answer to the OP's question will have to wait until a few more announcements are out of the way.

Sorry.

(ps. The Panda are treated well, they have their own cages with ensuite facilities, and conjugal rights with visiting Pandas from other areas in China. No pandas were harmed during the writing of this post)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

MDC

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:24 pm

JamesH said:

(ps. The Panda are treated well, they have their own cages with ensuite facilities, and conjugal rights with visiting Pandas from other areas in China. No pandas were harmed during the writing of this post)

Then how do you explain their black eyes?

Joules

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Hopefully Strauss-Kahn, isn"t providing the female Pandas.....

geeday

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:28 pm

MDC: gold start for that reply, it tickled me (not heard it before)

libredrs

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 pm

JamesH said:

I'm afraid a full answer to the OP's question will have to wait until a few more announcements are out of the way.

Sorry.

I do hope that the full answer will be provided before the computers are available for purchase. Although one would think this information would be provided (or promoted, if positive) all along. Transparency is very important in these matters.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

You really don't need to worry. The Pis are being assembled by trained pandas.

I thought the Pandas were in a purely supervisory role and the actual assembly was being done by moonlighting Santas Elves?
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

piglet

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:47 pm

libredrs said:

I do hope that the full answer will be provided before the computers are available for purchase. Although one would think this information would be provided (or promoted, if positive) all along. Transparency is very important in these matters.
I don't see this information for any other product I want to buy. Ever.

The nearest I see is items with a "Fairtrade" mark. Even then all I know is that the seller got a fair price - but still would have no idea whether they use slave labour to cultivate their product.

Joe Schmoe

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Actually, you do (get this information), every once in a while.

Like, when you buy Kathy Gifford brand clothing.

(At last, an easy one: 1+2)
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

nick.mccloud

libredrs said:

Can you post a list of ALL products around your house so we can do a quick audit of your choices to check you are squeaky clean and thus deserving of such information - in the interests of transparency, naturally!

drgeoff

Does the OP realise that there is not a single manufacturer?  There is the company doing the assembly but there are many others making and supplying the components, the PCB, the solder, the pick and place machines, the soldering machines, the board cleaning chemicals, the food in the workers' canteen etc, etc.

libredrs

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:10 pm

A bit touchy, aren't we?

JamesH says that a full answer to my question is pending and I'll take his word for it.

Is my household squeaky-clean, product-wise? No, but I'm trying.

I do not however, provide money to charities (whether or not I receive something in return) unless I'm convinced that they are squeaky clean.

Raspberry Pi purports to be a charity and not a business. It should be held to the highest standard.

jamesh

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Raspberry Pi IS a charity - it's does NOT purport to be one. It also has to be run as a business (albeit a profitless one), or it will go bust.

Although the charities aim is to help promote computer programming in young people, not to improve the working conditions of people abroad. They have their own charities.

That said, the Foundation have chosen a reputable company. Whether that reputation is good enough for everyone is down to the individuals to make a choice.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

libredrs

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Agreed.

Looking forward to learning more prior to the release date.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:23 pm

libredrs said:

Which manufacturer is producing the Raspberry Pi and what is its record regarding workers' rights (and abuses). Given all of the (well-deserved) press about horrendous working conditions and abuses by subcontractors for Apple (and to be sure, many other computer/electronics companies), it is important for potential participants in this charity-based project to know the track record of the manufacturer. Please provide detailed documentation.

I don't want to be seen as an agent of obfuscation, BUT

This topic was discussed a while ago, a bit of rooting around with the forum search should turn the threads up.  As for providing "detailed documentation" because you've made a post in a forum, IMHO you're barking up the wrong tree, indeed making the wrong approach altogether, and accusations of touchiness don't help your case at all.

Rather than shouting all around the houses, a PM to a Foundation member raising your concerns would probably be more productive.

Given the opportunities for heated exchanges that this topic may give rise to, I'm minded to put a lock on it, pending review.

Sorry!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:36 pm

libredrs said:

A bit touchy, aren't we?

Less of the attitude, please; we like people to be civil and pleasant to each other here. My suspicion is that people are reacting to the tone of your initial post in this thread – and this one's not much better. As JamesH said, you'll get your answer next week.

ETA: sorry - I cross-posted with Jongoleur. Thread stays closed.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”