4thdwarflord
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: Deep in the mines of Moria

Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 pm

There is an interesting utility here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1910873 that will convert .apk files into java. Rather than port android, an operating system that needs time to port, we should port this, perhaps create an operating system like androidthat takes .apk files and turns them into nice friendly java files? (obviously this would be a very buggy hhack, but it semmes to me that it's the easiest option)

6677
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:14 pm

The tool actually decompiles to source code rather than an executable jar file.

Android apps dont use the standard java libraries. You would have to port the android libs to run on the JVM instead of dalvik.

It may well be possible to port dalvik to the pi instead of the entire android ecosystem but that would have its own issues too (but is the approach that bluestacks etc takes on windows).

NathanBookham
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:18 am

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:11 pm

6677 wrote:The tool actually decompiles to source code rather than an executable jar file.

Android apps dont use the standard java libraries. You would have to port the android libs to run on the JVM instead of dalvik.

It may well be possible to port dalvik to the pi instead of the entire android ecosystem but that would have its own issues too (but is the approach that bluestacks etc takes on windows).
And if you're going to port dalvik, you might as well just port Android :lol:.
This account is now inactive.
I am now known as 'InverseSandwich'

kevin34ct
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Could there be a way of installing the apps in a system like wine for windows software? I'm not a programmer so I'm not aware of the intricacies of the software. I've seen a software being created for windows that will run the android apps just not sure if there is anything like that on linux that might also be compatible with the RPi.

kevin34ct
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Tue May 07, 2013 8:14 pm

apkenv -environment wrapper for native android apks - can run a few android programs
http://thp.io/2012/apkenv/
https://github.com/t...b/master/README

I just found this. I haven't tried it yet but worth looking into. It's in active development.

6677
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 pm

kevin34ct wrote:Could there be a way of installing the apps in a system like wine for windows software? I'm not a programmer so I'm not aware of the intricacies of the software. I've seen a software being created for windows that will run the android apps just not sure if there is anything like that on linux that might also be compatible with the RPi.
Yes there is, a port of dalvik which is exactly what has already been mentioned. Thats all thats needed, sadly its pretty complex to do that.

4thdwarflord
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: Deep in the mines of Moria

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 am

Challenge accepted.

aaa801
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:18 pm

kevin34ct wrote:apkenv -environment wrapper for native android apks - can run a few android programs
http://thp.io/2012/apkenv/
https://github.com/t...b/master/README

I just found this. I haven't tried it yet but worth looking into. It's in active development.
After a day or so of tinkering, i have been successfull in getting this to run on the pi ;), now working on getting gles2 working

hittman1a
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:35 pm

http://www.bluestacks.com/index.html

runs android apps on windows and mac

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15431
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:44 pm

hittman1a wrote:http://www.bluestacks.com/index.html

runs android apps on windows and mac
and Raspberry Pi?

No, I didn't think so :(

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:39 am

4thdwarflord wrote:There is an interesting utility here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1910873 that will convert .apk files into java. Rather than port android, an operating system that needs time to port, we should port this, perhaps create an operating system like androidthat takes .apk files and turns them into nice friendly java files? (obviously this would be a very buggy hhack, but it semmes to me that it's the easiest option)
Thant's a very good idea, as the Pi will then be able to run android apps on any OS with java.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

aaa801
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:40 am

mrpi64 wrote:
4thdwarflord wrote:There is an interesting utility here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1910873 that will convert .apk files into java. Rather than port android, an operating system that needs time to port, we should port this, perhaps create an operating system like androidthat takes .apk files and turns them into nice friendly java files? (obviously this would be a very buggy hhack, but it semmes to me that it's the easiest option)
Thant's a very good idea, as the Pi will then be able to run android apps on any OS with java.
No.

6677
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:06 pm

mrpi64 wrote:
4thdwarflord wrote:There is an interesting utility here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1910873 that will convert .apk files into java. Rather than port android, an operating system that needs time to port, we should port this, perhaps create an operating system like androidthat takes .apk files and turns them into nice friendly java files? (obviously this would be a very buggy hhack, but it semmes to me that it's the easiest option)
Thant's a very good idea, as the Pi will then be able to run android apps on any OS with java.
you didn't read what I posted at the top did you? The tool does not do what you think it does. All it does is reverse engineer an apk into source code, nothing more. There would still be alot of work to port an app to the pi and on top of that it would be illegal for most apps as they are closed source and you would violate copyright.

aaa801
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 am

6677 wrote:
mrpi64 wrote:
4thdwarflord wrote:There is an interesting utility here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1910873 that will convert .apk files into java. Rather than port android, an operating system that needs time to port, we should port this, perhaps create an operating system like androidthat takes .apk files and turns them into nice friendly java files? (obviously this would be a very buggy hhack, but it semmes to me that it's the easiest option)
Thant's a very good idea, as the Pi will then be able to run android apps on any OS with java.
you didn't read what I posted at the top did you? The tool does not do what you think it does. All it does is reverse engineer an apk into source code, nothing more. There would still be alot of work to port an app to the pi and on top of that it would be illegal for most apps as they are closed source and you would violate copyright.
I did manage to get apkenv to run on the pi for one game, aparantly theres some issues with the eglv2 stuff so it won't run much

BurritoBazooka
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Now the real question is, will it run [strike]Crysis[/strike] Netflix?

edit: This issue is of much relevance.

aaa801
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:27 pm

BurritoBazooka wrote:Now the real question is, will it run [strike]Crysis[/strike] Netflix?

edit: This issue is of much relevance.
Yep thats my issue report, havn't tinkered with it much since

pavand
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Why port android. Why not port the apps?

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:48 am

I am trying to boot android OS(2.3) on R pi but I am getting some commands on the screen followed by rainbow color screen on the monitor . I changed the config text file in android OS but I am getting same thing . can you post the commands in the config text file in android OS based on that I will change the modes and groups in file .

Regards
pavan

Return to “Android”