jfri

How good webrowser will the Raspberry give me ?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:59 pm

How is the Raspberry as a web browser ? I understand that it run Linux and therefore I can use web browser and surf on Internet just as a ordinary PC. But what limitations are there and what things will not work ? For example I have read that you can't run adobe flash reader (but why ? flash reader exists for Linux so why not ?). Also you can't connect it to a VGA monitor (or can you and if so how ?) ?
I have earlier installed Ubunto Linux on my ordinary PC. What will be different with Raspberry Linux system ?

noob

Re: How good webrowser will the Raspberry give me ?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:09 pm

chrome and firefox are available, only thing is that thei're named different, chromium and iceweasel, for the rest it's the same, flash runs on it, pretty slow though, java runs too, ony bad thing i can think of is that youtube videos look like slideshows, for the rest it is all fine, forums work, facebook works, i cant think of anything bad.

DeeJay

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:15 pm

jfri wrote: Also you can't connect it to a VGA monitor (or can you and if so how ?) ?
You can. With an HDMI-to-vga adaptor. (But you need the right one - search the forum and wiki for details.)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

rpdom

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Flash exists for some Linux. Not for the Pi.

Gnash is available and will run some Flash apps, but is slow on Pi.

pjc123

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:22 pm

The real web browsers on the pi (Chromium, Iceweasel) have decent functionality, but at the cost of very slow load times compared to a PC, even a very old PC.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

gkreidl

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:46 pm

pjc123 wrote:The real web browsers on the pi (Chromium, Iceweasel) have decent functionality, but at the cost of very slow load times compared to a PC, even a very old PC.
What the hell is a "real web browser"? Are only things "real",that are blown up and need incredible resources?

One example (on the Pi): Chromium (based on webkit) needs more than 10 seconds, to display a simple Google search result page. Gomoto's "Minimal Web Browser" (also based on webkit engine) needs 2 to 3 seconds, and about 1 second when Javascript is disabled. is it less real, because it needs less resources?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

MrBunsy

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:11 pm

gkreidl wrote:is it less real, because it needs less resources?
And has fewer features? If all you want to do is read text, you don't need much more. If you want to, say, use Google Docs, play games, use Gmail to its full extent, then you're really going to want a little bit more.

My experience is you will find browsers a little bit on the slow side on the Pi, Ipersonally wouldn't want to use it as my primary machine for browsing.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:18 pm

gkreidl wrote:
pjc123 wrote:The real web browsers on the pi (Chromium, Iceweasel) have decent functionality, but at the cost of very slow load times compared to a PC, even a very old PC.
What the hell is a "real web browser"? Are only things "real",that are blown up and need incredible resources?

One example (on the Pi): Chromium (based on webkit) needs more than 10 seconds, to display a simple Google search result page. Gomoto's "Minimal Web Browser" (also based on webkit engine) needs 2 to 3 seconds, and about 1 second when Javascript is disabled. is it less real, because it needs less resources?
Im guessing it means its not a text based browser like Lynx, which runs in a text terminal, like this:

Open in new window to get a better view.

I was using the web (and doing stuff like e-mail and Gopher) using a commodore 64 or MSX2, as a terminal with a SLIP connection via a 4800 BPS modem to a local UNIX system which ran Lynx, (and other programs for e-mail and gopher) long before the first graphical browser existed.

Later when I had my first PC I remember how much of an improvement it was to run MOSAIC, no more downloading a .JPG with UUCP and opening it in a seperate picture viewer, just to see a picture. With linx jou just see [PICTURE] instead of a picture!

P.S. yes, I'm THAT old! :ugeek:

gkreidl

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:14 pm

mahjongg wrote: P.S. yes, I'm THAT old! :ugeek:
maybe I'm even older :-)

G.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

MaxK1

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Hah! When I was a wee lad, we just had 1's and 0's. Some days we didn't even have 1's...
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

jfri

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:30 am

MrBunsy wrote:
gkreidl wrote:is it less real, because it needs less resources?
My experience is you will find browsers a little bit on the slow side on the Pi, Ipersonally wouldn't want to use it as my primary machine for browsing.
I don't intend to use it as a primary webbrowser. Instead my intention is to see streamed movie and youtube videos on my television set. And it seems that the Pi is a to slow computer for that. Will there be a new more powerful Pi some day ?

MaxK1

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 am

Are you looking for a dedicated media player or a "general purpose" system which can play media?
Raspbmc is a dedicated media player that will do what you want - play movies and Youtube videos (and more) but it isn't a "general purpose" Linux system. It's possible to put together a "general purpose" system which includes XBMC/omxplayer which may not be as optimized as Raspbmc (but still more than capable) It all depends on what you are _really_ looking for.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

jfri

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 pm

MaxK1 wrote:Are you looking for a dedicated media player or a "general purpose" system which can play media?
Raspbmc is a dedicated media player that will do what you want - play movies and Youtube videos (and more) but it isn't a "general purpose" Linux system. It's possible to put together a "general purpose" system which includes XBMC/omxplayer which may not be as optimized as Raspbmc (but still more than capable) It all depends on what you are _really_ looking for.
Right now I have the following requirements

1) See movies on my TV set. The streamed movies I now have is from something called lovefilm. Their requirements is Adobe reader 9 or later. I might consider other distributor later. For example I called Netflix and they explicitely stated that they don't support Linux.
2) See videos accessed on internet like for example youtube. This means accessing them through url.
3) It should run normally. Something lika slideshow for example isn't acceptable but a no go issue.

I have researched dedicated mediaplayer and there actually doesn't seem to be any in the lower price segment that fullfills my need.

MaxK1

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Raspbmc will play content from the major networks, Hulu, Youtube etc., locally stored media and more. Runs well on the Pi. Uses omxplayer as a "backend". If it requires Adobe flash, probably won't work. And courtesy of Adobe, never will... Alternatives/derivatives are openelec and xbmc (some swear by one, some by raspbmc and still others by xbmc. But I don't think you'll find a one-size-fits-all on the Pi.
Others will no doubt chime in with opinions...

ghans

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:23 pm

There is a solution for pages which offer HTML5 video support , like youtube itself.
But Adobe Flash or Microsoft Silverlight will never run on a Pi.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mikerr

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:41 am

jfri wrote:) See movies on my TV set. The streamed movies I now have is from something called lovefilm.
For example I called Netflix and they explicitely stated that they don't support Linux.
For netflix and lovefilm, a cheap android tv stick is best suited.

I don't think RPi will have either anytime soon.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Beginners”