Joules

Re: Raspberry Pi. Supercomputer

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:35 pm

An interesting point was raised on another Topic. The Raspi has exceeded the power of a late 70"s supercomputer that consumed 115kw and weighed over 10000lbs, the Raspi is the size of a credit card, and doesn"t need 40 tons of coolant.

http://www.openloop.com/educat.....ithAdd.htm

Enjoy a gem from the history of computing and appreciate how far we have come in such a short time. I marvel at Seymour Cray"s foresight and determination.

psergiu

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm

We now need a miniature Cray1 case for the RPi and CrayCore compiled on ARM 

bredman

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Why a miniature Cray1 case?

Use a full-size Cray1 case and play the "find the computer" game.

Joules

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:59 pm

Weight for weight, you would need about 100,000 Rasberry Pi"s to equal the weight of a Cray-1. I haven"t worked out the volume of the Cray but if it could house the same number it,would be a hell of a large bramble.

They would however require a 250kw power supply, so not as economic as the Cray !!!

Andre_P

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Ahh this is the second reference I have seen with respect to the Cray 1.

Why, may I ask, create a simulator ?

Why not do THIS !

http://chrisfenton.com/homebrew-cray-1a/

Kokoro

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 am

There is already one Pi board in a museum so this has probably been suggested already.  I think a Raspberry Pi should be displayed in the science museum in london next to their Cray.  Last time I was there they had a game-cube sitting on it....

Joules

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 am

I"m not sure about the acronym here ? Cra-Pi

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:13 am

Joules said:

I"m not sure about the acronym here ? Cra-Pi

Ha, I see what you did there...!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

IDE

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 am

Open-mosix to the RP would be interesting.

Bakul Shah

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:03 am

Andre_P said:

Ahh this is the second reference I have seen with respect to the Cray 1.

Why, may I ask, create a simulator ?

Because you learn more by writing a simulator for something than reading about it. You have to visit many of the same decisions the original designer(s) made and that gives you a greater understanding (and appreciation) for their choices. And here you'd be learning from a master! And simulating a Cray one is bound to be far more interesting than simulating an x86!

Why not do THIS !

http://chrisfenton.com/homebrew-cray-1a/

Sure, that'd be more fun if you have the right skill set but this is *much* harder for most people!

A friend of mine implemented a PDP-11, various peripherals, Galaxy game graphics controller etc. on a similar Spartan 3E FPGA boards (Digilent Nexys2). May be I will suggest this to him but you are talking about a serious amount of work even if you are very bright!

Andre_P

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 am

Hi Bakul,

Oh I agree, writing a simulator is no mean ambition, and one for a Cray 1 that is Cycle Accurate even more entertaining, getting some SW guys to understand a pipelined core doesn't execute the pipe line in a single cycle is somewhat challenging at times. I know I've tried.

Dare I say it, I guess with a few pointers a SW guy could put some Verilog/VHDL together to create a machine. You have to get over the concept of Time and you are away.

As to putting a machine together, yes you visit lots of issues along the way, you get to try out ideas. The machine I've put together (and continuing to develop) was a clean sheet design and it's been entertaining. Luckily I've been able to get a copy of Modelsim along with the Quartus in the web pack. I've got the design on a Cyclone III dev board.

The hardest part really have been finding the time, it might be the only machine that's been designed on planes, trains, cars and various other places on the planet .

Return to “Off topic discussion”