Omnamah

Re: linux newbie has questions

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Going with the original topic of this thread: I'm also a considerable Linux newbie, with my only real experience being running Ubuntu (10.10 I think) from the LiveCD.

I'm thinking when I get my Pi I'll go for Debian, since it seems to have the largest support and community behind it. Where would people recommend getting started? I want to be poking around on the insides but I know in the past I've tried to install packages on Linux and (as I think someone has shown above) have been baffled. In my experience, most tutorials and guides tell you what to do, but don't actually tell you what you are doing. It's all well and good giving me some copy pasta to stick in the terminal, but its useless if I don't understand what I'm actually doing.

tl;dr: Any good Debian guides/tutorials for a computer literate Linux noob.

Omnamah

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Canuck said:

I suggest Fedora for newbies.

Good documentation.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/.....index.html

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/.....index.html

Are you recommending it because of the quality of the documentation alone? Or also because you think the OS is superior?

And thanks, these look comprehensive.

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:47 pm

kme said:

Canuck said:

Not by much.

Prove it. A 100 MHz i486 has ~80 MIPS. A 700 MHz ARMv6 is just short of 900 MIPS, so it's eleven times faster. And this is without the R-Pi taking advantage of its GPU.

The 100 MHz i486 came out in 1994 so I would hope that Pi is more than a little faster!

Canuck

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:48 pm

I use it on 2 machines opposed to the alternatives so I think it is superior, there is better support and more people on the fedora forums who know what they're doing as opposed to the Ubuntu forums. Its just opinion. Ubuntu guides and documentation don't teach you anything along the way, they just give you commands to put into your terminal without telling you what it does so you cant manipulate it in the future.

Canuck

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:49 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

kme said:

Canuck said:

Not by much.

Prove it. A 100 MHz i486 has ~80 MIPS. A 700 MHz ARMv6 is just short of 900 MIPS, so it's eleven times faster. And this is without the R-Pi taking advantage of its GPU.

The 100 MHz i486 came out in 1994 so I would hope that Pi is more than a little faster!

It was supposed to a sarcastic joke but okay take it seriously :V

Omnamah

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Canuck said:

I use it on 2 machines opposed to the alternatives so I think it is superior, there is better support and more people on the fedora forums who know what they're doing as opposed to the Ubuntu forums. Its just opinion. Ubuntu guides and documentation don't teach you anything along the way, they just give you commands to put into your terminal without telling you what it does so you cant manipulate it in the future.

Well I think getting Ubuntu to work on ARM is a bit beyond my skill level as of yet, aha. Cheers for pointing me to Fedora though. I've only ever really looked at Ubuntu, Debian and Mint in the past.

Return to “General discussion”