FortyRock

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:37 pm

yottskry wrote:
As an experiment, are you willing to try using the PiMame 0.5 image and then installing this?
PiMame image is at http://socialcase.com/raspberrypi/pimam ... g.beta.zip (don't worry about it being beta-that's just the PiMame code).

Also, what sound device are you using?

Lastly some roms need the corresponding samples.

I'll try something out later and will update this post.
Yep, I'm willing to try that, but isn't PiMame just AdvanceMame? I've had no problems getting AdvanceMame to run, it just simply isn't fast enough, whereas Mame4All runs perfectly fast but gives me issues with sound.

But I can certainly try PiMame 0.5 and compile Mame4All. Might be interesting to see what happens.
You're right. The suggestion was for a few reasons. This is the image I started with so I know it works; the Linux / package base has already been tweaked; and to try the roms with advmame to see if they worked (which it seems like you already have);

You don't need to compile mame4all - just grab it from the pistore.

I had sound problems at first myself but were mostly due to the sound device config (USB sound card).

HTH

smshiera

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I have a ps2 handle and a ps2→usb converter,can this work @mame4all ?

topguy

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:42 pm

smshiera wrote:I have a ps2 handle and a ps2→usb converter,can this work @mame4all ?
I have a PS2->USB converter from Rockfire and that is automatically detected by linux and works in mame4all, so yes it *can* work.

pudding

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:49 am

Version 1.3 released.
* Reduced or eliminated sound static.
* Fixed the sound in the galaxian group of games.
* Workaround for SDL incompatible keyboards detected as joysticks.
* Added key delay to frontend for easier selection.
* Added "kiosk" mode option, stops MAME4ALL exiting from the game selection frontend.

Get it from the Pi Store.

Thanks to Martin3232 for helping with the testing.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

FortyRock

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Wow, Pudding - great support you're providing!

I was messing around with the code last night for kiosk mode myself. I changed exit to alt-esc and am trying 5 presses of tilde to shutdown. Still a work in progress though (key releases are tricking me up).

How does yours work?
Last edited by FortyRock on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pudding

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Kiosk mode is quite simple really - it just won't exit when in the frontend.. There's a new configuration option in mame.cfg.

I wouldn't worry about just powering off the Pi, there's nothing being written to the SD when in the frontend and the ext4 filesystem is very resilient.

kalehrl

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm happy to say that cursor bug has been fixed in v1.3.
I tried galxian and galaga and the sound is much better.
However, I still get a lot of static running mslug and mslug2 games.

I also noticed that a little of top and bottom picture gets cut off on my CRT TV.
Is there any way this could be adjusted?
I get the same behaviour on quake, fceux but I haven't found a solution yet.

pudding

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Mslug and other Neogeo games have static in all ported versions of MAME4ALL unfortunately, never managed to figure out why.

mongrol

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:16 am

Donated. Excellent effort Pud, just awesome.

pudding

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Neogeo & mslug crackling (long running MAME4ALL issue) bugged me so I had a proper look and managed to fixed it!! :D

Download the update from the Pi Store.

yottskry

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am

Pudding, you wouldn't happen to know why I get sound in some games but not others, would you? It's not something to do with the implementation of the sound chips, is it? I get sound in:

Rainbow Islands
Aero Fighters

I don't get sound in:

Bubble Bobble
Raiden Fighters
Some tetris clone that uses the Pokey sound chip

I'm just looking for suggestions, really. Other people who have tried these games in Mame4All don't seem to have the problem, even with the same romsets, so I'm really at a loss as to why I get it.

pudding

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

yottskry, I've no idea what your problem is. All I can suggest is use the latest version of Raspbian wheezy, no overclocking, install the Pi Store version of MAME4ALL and make sure your ROMS validate using Clrmamepro or test with the DOS version of MAME 0.37b5. The clrmamepro.dat file to use is in the "/usr/local/bin/indiecity/InstalledApps/mame4all_pi/Full/" directory.

yottskry

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:06 pm

Nope, done all that. Tried Mame4All from the Pi Store and compiled from source. It makes no difference. The romset I'm using has been tested by others as working with sound. I really, really don't get this. I get sound in every game using AdvanceMame, so the problem is not the Pi, meaning it HAS to be either Mame4All or the romset, but both of those appear to be ruled out by others *not* having these problems. So frustrating!

FortyRock

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:15 pm

yottskry wrote:Nope, done all that. Tried Mame4All from the Pi Store and compiled from source. It makes no difference. The romset I'm using has been tested by others as working with sound. I really, really don't get this. I get sound in every game using AdvanceMame, so the problem is not the Pi, meaning it HAS to be either Mame4All or the romset, but both of those appear to be ruled out by others *not* having these problems. So frustrating!
what's your sound device again?

yottskry

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:04 pm

FortyRock wrote:
yottskry wrote:Nope, done all that. Tried Mame4All from the Pi Store and compiled from source. It makes no difference. The romset I'm using has been tested by others as working with sound. I really, really don't get this. I get sound in every game using AdvanceMame, so the problem is not the Pi, meaning it HAS to be either Mame4All or the romset, but both of those appear to be ruled out by others *not* having these problems. So frustrating!
what's your sound device again?
Do you mean output? HDMI. I believe Mame4All uses ALSA. But as I said, I get sound everywhere else (I can play MP3s, for example, and I get sound in other MAME roms) just not these specific few games.

kalehrl

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Are you using the latest firmware obtained via rpi-update?
If you are, then there is a problem with the sound which results in exactly what you describe.
However, I only experienced this issue using headphone jack. I've never used HDMI.
Read the post from this one on:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 41#p303141
The issue isn't yet fixed so @dom should be bugged about it. :D

kalehrl

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 pm

pudding wrote:Neogeo & mslug crackling (long running MAME4ALL issue) bugged me so I had a proper look and managed to fixed it!! :D

Download the update from the Pi Store.
Excellent! Works great now!
I've noticed that sometimes when I exit mame4all I get this error in the console:

Code: Select all

GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_lookup: assertion 'hash_table !=NULL' failed

FortyRock

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:23 pm

On the topic of buggy roms, any idea why robotron blue sometimes crashes to black screen/static when launching? Exiting and relaunching then works.

Chief

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Is there anything that needs to be done to configure joysticks or should they work out the box?

For me the buttons work but directions don't, if I run 'jstest' it recognises the press of the dpad but nothing in mame4all.

It may just be my setup as I have original sega Saturn pads plugged into a USB converter but they work out the box for pc and ps3 so I know they 'can' work.

Unfortunately I have no other pads to test so any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

welshy

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:09 am

FortyRock
With regards to Robotron, am I correct in assuming u are referring to coloured “Static” then a black screen that says “Factory Settings Restored” then it hangs? If this is the case, it isn't a bad ROM Dump, ALL the Williams 6509 Based Boards do this, (Defender, Joust, Sinistar etc) it’s a peculiarity of the Hardware. The proprietor of the Cabinet could either go into a standard Menu screen to check coinage drop etc or press a “Reset” Button to start the game. MAME simulates this process “F2” for Menu, “F3” Reset, going out, then going back in creates the same effect (As the configuration for the game is remembered). Although, it should only do this the FIRST time it's Booted, unless you are removing the nvram File from its Folder?
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

FortyRock

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:07 pm

welshy wrote:FortyRock
With regards to Robotron, am I correct in assuming u are referring to coloured “Static” then a black screen that says “Factory Settings Restored” then it hangs? If this is the case, it isn't a bad ROM Dump, ALL the Williams 6509 Based Boards do this, (Defender, Joust, Sinistar etc) it’s a peculiarity of the Hardware. The proprietor of the Cabinet could either go into a standard Menu screen to check coinage drop etc or press a “Reset” Button to start the game. MAME simulates this process “F2” for Menu, “F3” Reset, going out, then going back in creates the same effect (As the configuration for the game is remembered). Although, it should only do this the FIRST time it's Booted, unless you are removing the nvram File from its Folder?
I know what you're referring to but that isn't what I'm talking about. Half the time I get a black screen with 2 or 3 seconds of audio static then it just hangs, requiring me to esc out and try again. Resetting the game doesn't do anything.

yottskry

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:49 pm

kalehrl wrote:Are you using the latest firmware obtained via rpi-update?
If you are, then there is a problem with the sound which results in exactly what you describe.
However, I only experienced this issue using headphone jack. I've never used HDMI.
Read the post from this one on:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 41#p303141
The issue isn't yet fixed so @dom should be bugged about it. :D
Ah, I think I probably am using the latest firmware. I'll try the link, cheers.

Martin3232

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:43 pm

To celebrate my birthday I had a few friends around. During the evening I bought out my pi arcade machine, installed with mame4all. It was so well received even by the younger kids, in particular one 7 year old was absolutely hooked playing frogger and Galaga. Its great to see the dads and kids enjoying themselves. So a big thanks to pudding for all his hard work.

kalehrl

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Ah, I think I probably am using the latest firmware. I'll try the link, cheers.
This will restore the firmware to the last working version:

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update eeb2e51c3e08cd5efa4246aa8dc54a09b25ada12
If you get the sound than it's definitively the case of buggy firmware.
Bug @dom about it in the thread in the previous post.. :)

Noldor

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi to all :)
Pudding, your mame4all version rocks!
Can you add a scanline filter?
And another request... can you change the behavior ot the emulator when a rom isn't of the correct romset? At present the emulator quit to desktop... its boring :)
Thanks

Return to “Gaming”