Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:06 am

ukscone said:

just had to go with the wife and kid to pickout and pay for new cellphones (paid $0 ). The wife and kid were ok they wanted smartphones and that's what they got but i am a cellphone luddite and don't want such things as a camera, mp3 player, texting, apps.... I just want a phone that makes and receives calls and maybe has a caller id display.

could i get one? like heck (replace heck with appropriate anglosaxon word) can i. I got the most stupid phone i could find and it still has about 40 builtin apps, an mp3 player, a camera and a manual i could stand on to reach the cookie jar on the top shelf.

it sucks that the wife and kid had about 50 phones to choose from but my choices for a dumbphone are non-existant

You're a cellphone luddite?   I don't keep mine switched on....  It has been known for it to need recharging even though I haven't used it since the last charging. Its for me to phone OTHERS, not for them to phone me!

Then there's features, I don't want to use it to listen to music, built in cameras are usually pretty dire, I DON'T need constant access to facebook or twitter, I don't want to play games on it.

And who wants a phone thats almost as intelligent as a cockroach?

Yep, modern portable telephony sucks.  Give me two cans and a piece of string any day!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:10 am

AND another thing.

I played with the Bluetooth settings by pairing the phone to the builtin bluetooth in the car for hands-free.  Now the CAR whinges that the phone is turned off!

6+7.  That figures.....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:10 am

What sucks? Trying to get a map from the Ordnance Survey - and they have changed all their GetAMap stuff to use, wait for it....

Silverlight.

So it doesn't work on Linux. At all.

Even Flash would be better than Silverlight, but apparently, it 'fulfilled all their requirements'. Which presumably means a big bung from Microsoft.

What planet are these people on, using a propriety and badly written and supported POS instead of using something like Google Maps which doesn't need Flash OR Silverlight.

Sent them an email. I suggest others do the same.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Jongoleur said:

You're a cellphone luddite?   I don't keep mine switched on....  It has been known for it to need recharging even though I haven't used it since the last charging. Its for me to phone OTHERS, not for them to phone me!

I have to keep mine charged, on and on my person as we don't have a landline and in case of emergencies (and we have had emergencies that required being able to get in touch with each other) but I personally don't like cellphones (or any phones actually, I got burnt out wrt phones at the end of the 80s and from 1991 to 2001 refused to have one in my house. Only 10 people have my phone number and they know to try IM or email first.

Then there's features, I don't want to use it to listen to music, built in cameras are usually pretty dire, I DON'T need constant access to facebook or twitter, I don't want to play games on it.

And who wants a phone thats almost as intelligent as a cockroach?

Yep, modern portable telephony sucks.  Give me two cans and a piece of string any day!

+1

The wife and kid ended up with HTC Inspires and I must admit they do look quite nice but not for me and i'm going to be spending the next 3 weeks teaching the wife how to use it and how to not go over her data allowance. I ended up with a Samsung Flight II which was the dumbest phone I could get and it still has about 40 builtin "apps" i can't remove and a camera, mp3 player, browser, im, navigation...... about the only thing it doesn't do is make a pot of tea which would actually be useful if it did that.

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 pm

I just have a crappy old mobile, unbundled from the provider, with a Tesco Pay-as-you-go card in it. I put £10 on it early last year and it still has about £8 on it. It is just used for emergencies such as phoning the AA and for my daughters who like to keep tabs on me. They are convinced that if I don't answer within three rings I must be lying in a ditch somewhere. I keep it charged and generally remember to keep it on me. I also have an even older mobile with an Orange pay-as-you-go card that I keep for Orange Wednesdays. As far as I am concerned it is a crappy old phone but daughter says it is a Matrix phone and much sought after.

MystX

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Two things:

Why do so many people say that "the R-Pi is limited by the small amount of ram"?

Wtf are you going to do with 512MB or 1GB of ram on a 700mhz device? Play minecraft?

Seriously, people need to look to something other than windows for how a PC should run. While using lots of ram isn"t bad (for buffers and whatnot), its bad when the OS cant work without lots of ram.

My laptop running Archlinux (with my full desktop environment running – openbox, conky, a panel, desktop manager etc) uses 110MB of ram on a bad day.

Second:

I don"t like the new forum software. I understand the team must have had a good reason to change to this one, but it"s worse from a user experience standpoint. You cant embed a picture without it being full sized (can you change that using the html editor?), the "latest posts" column on the main page doesnt show what thread those posts are actually from – so what use is it?, the search function doesn't work, and for some reason it can't seem to handle apostrophes?

' <- That there. I typed an apostrophe, and it's changed it to  quote marks hasn't it?

Do you know how much that confuses my quote and brace balancing developer brain??

Grr.

You"re awesome R-Pi team. Cant wait to start tinkering..

roelfrenkema

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:49 pm

MystX said:

My laptop running Archlinux (with my full desktop environment running – openbox, conky, a panel, desktop manager etc) uses 110MB of ram on a bad day.
Hahaha try Unity and Compiz see where that leaves you

MystX

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:03 am

roelfrenkema said:

Hahaha try Unity and Compiz see where that leaves you

Compiz is actually not half bad. I have a desktop running compiz as it's window manager, so desktop environment. Its suprising light on ram, though I cant recal exactly how much it uses.15

russ wall

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Old farts like me, that row they call music these days, price of a pint, no decent vegetables at the local shop, TV that freezes every time it rains, Jeremy Paxman, the washing machine that still leaks, public library computers all full of bingo playing half wits, no job, no cardboard in the green bins, idiots driving like Jochen Rint down the street, episodes of have I got news for you for the millionth time, the banks, the government, the continual bashing of the NHS, database error, soggy bottoms (pastry and personal), dust, hoovers, the size of wagon wheels, junk mail and waiting for my pi.

That will do for now.

Pi, you're awesome.

Oh yes, AWESOME ... that really drives me nuts!

DBloke

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Why the bloody hell am I so effiecnt at every job I do?

Ok its great to be fast, but when im getting paid by the hour im doing my self out of money.

People that say that people like me spend to long playing games.

Then they spend hours in front of the TV watching celebrity guff or on Facebook

People that think that having a good time involves getting drunk. Ok I do like a drink, but thats because I like the taste, I never drink to get drunk.

Family that think that they can say "You can fix computers, can you fix <Insertname>?"

Then when I get there I find that the computer has no anti virus (or Norton) and they are using IE, run a sacn with Malware bites and it finds 99 problems, but a bit aint one

Ive started saying "No" and giving them a disc with a program that scans the computer on start up with another saying install these.

While im on it

Scamware viruses ive had two (both from when I was looking for sprites from games first was "whoa" 2nd didnt get few), my mums had loads and one that basically stopped Windows from starting up, if I knew more about Linux id switch them all

"Singers" that sing part of the song off key, at first it was ok, but now its almost every other singer.

Coldplay, why the fug must they play at the stadium across from me?

Why not the Stone Roses? A BLOODY MANC BAND!!

People that think that because I play games I play the same stuff as them. NO!! I do not play the likes of Playing army 2011, Football 2012, Farmville.

Going to partys and the alcohol choice is Larger, larger and JD (not the best whiskey)

The last three I took my own, I introduce the host to the wonderful Innis and Gunn thats like a explosion of taste.

Anyway,

Yup I have a lot of rage

Prometheus

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Cutting your fingers open with thread-cutting scissors (note for non-seamstresses: They're really sharp). I've done that a few times. Ouch.

n3tw0rk5

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Sky/BT openreach for taking over a month to fix my broadband when i told them exactly where the issue was.

Clair

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:46 pm

liz said:

... spending a week in Cornwall later this year looking for megaliths (I take the most astoundingly dull holidays, or so I"m told. ..

Have you read Alfred Watkins' The Old Straight Track?

If not, you are in for a treat. It is back in print, or was the last I looked.

tntexplosivesltd

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:27 am

"Oh, you do programming for a living. Can you fix my computer?"

That is so annoying

Also people who think ubuntu is linux. I mean come on.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:47 am

Clair said:

Thank you! I am strictly a rationalist when it comes to ley lines and the like, so it's a book I'd dismissed before. But I've just read a few reviews as a result of your recommendation and have discovered that it's not really about those at all; but rather it's been adopted by new agey-types to support their beliefs. I've put it on my wish list.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

riffraff

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:04 am

tntexplosivesltd said:

That is so annoying

... and why does Linux have to be painful?

riffraff

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 am

Who sucks? Gimme an "M"! Gimme an "I"... and so forth...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1350.....;tag=title

This message brought to you by the letter "B"... as in "BRIGANDRY".

Seriously. I need a TARDIS. I need to go back and convince Gary Kildall to let the freakin' IBM "suits" in the freakin' door.

tntexplosivesltd

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 am

riFFraFF said:

tntexplosivesltd said:

That is so annoying

… and why does Linux have to be painful?

Why does everyone think linux is painful?

MINKIN2

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:07 am

What to vent, hmmm....

Watching other people perform computer maintenance. You know those people who know a little about computers but are adamant that they know best.

Case in point: My house mate and his 3 year old laptop.

Every 6 months or so I would come home to find him complaining about his lappy running slow/somethings not working and he's sat there watching it run through yet another pointless De-frag.

Then soon after he will decide windows needs re-installing, so out comes the OEM disks with the added bloat-ware, the back up disks and 3 types of anti-virus along with some other crud.

Well as you can imagine, that process will give the impression that he solved the issue and he then puts his best "icandocompooterz" voice and is happy. Until six weeks later when his AV conflicts start again and he's rebooting the router blaming the internet then running a defrag again.

*sigh*

tntexplosivesltd

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:19 am

Oh, and another thing. The people who keep fouling up the threads with insults and negative comments towards the users and the Foundation. Unfortunately these people will also be cluttering up the first release of the R-Pis =(

Also I hate the fact that there will be a flood of millions of pointless unboxing videos a few days afterwards.

riffraff

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:03 am

riFFraFF said:

Who sucks? Gimme an "M"! Gimme an "I"... and so forth...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1350.....;tag=title

This message brought to you by the letter "B"... as in "BRIGANDRY".

Seriously. I need a TARDIS. I need to go back and convince Gary Kildall to let the freakin' IBM "suits" in the freakin' door.

Just highlighting a blurb from that article:

Although Microsoft's Android targeting is somewhat new, the company has been taking aim at other operating systems--most notably Linux--for years now. In fact, since launching its IP licensing program in 2003, Microsoft has signed over 1,100 agreements. That figure is growing rapidly: back in September, Microsoft announced that it had 700 licensing agreements in place.

Jim Brown

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:15 am

Students, or young people in general - They are ALL wrapped up in their own little world transfixed on their mobile phones. Probably sending stupid text messages to each other even though they next to each other

The Zombie Apocalypse is here!

Jim Brown

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 am

Oh, and people who write "first!" in the YouTube comments section. Are they expecting to win something?

scep

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:18 am

liz said:

Clair said:

Thank you! I am strictly a rationalist when it comes to ley lines and the like, so it's a book I'd dismissed before. But I've just read a few reviews as a result of your recommendation and have discovered that it's not really about those at all; but rather it's been adopted by new agey-types to support their beliefs. I've put it on my wish list.

St Julian is the only authority here! . (Yes, he's the archetypal New Age Hippy but a very cool one and I'll let him off because of a) The Teardrop Explodes and b) the chapter heading in TMA, "Why the Romans were so Heavy" )

scep

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 pm

tntexplosivesltd said:

Also I hate the fact that there will be a flood of millions of pointless unboxing videos a few days afterwards.

On the plus side, these will be very, very short: Open Jiffy, open ESD packet. Ummm... that's it

Return to “Off topic discussion”