Sandgrounder

Data Transfer RiscOS to Raspbian - fails

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:00 am

I am trying to transfer a 160K block of Data between a Raspberry Pi running RiscOS and another one running Raspbian.

I have tried using FTP and I have tried using Wget. In both cases I get corruption of the data.

I can transfer the same data using many other computer configurations and it all works OK i.e.
RiscOS (Pi) to RiscOS (Pi) is OK
Raspbian (Pi) to Rasbian (Pi) is OK
RiscOS (Pi) to Sun Solaris is OK
RiscOS (Pi) to Windows is OK
VRPC-SA to Raspbian (pi) is OK
In fact, virtually ever other combination I can try is OK - but not RiscOS (Pi) to Raspbian (Pi)

I am aware of USB problems on the Pi, so I am using data storage only on the SD cards on both Pis.

Any suggestions as to how I can make this work?

DavidS

Re: Data Transfer RiscOS to Raspbian - fails

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:08 am

I do not know if you use standard serial, though if so I would try that.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:12 am

So far the EtherUSB code seems to be the most stable portion of the RISC OS USB Stack, the rest is another story. Though I have no idea what could be causing corruption between the two.

At least on RISC OS the USB Mass Storage is stable enough to reliably transfer small files on a FAT32 formatted thumb drive so you ay wish to try that.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Sandgrounder

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:45 pm

DavidS wrote:I do not know if you use standard serial, though if so I would try that.
Sorry, perhaps I should have added these computers are on a standard local network - too far removed from each other to use a serial connection (and I also need it to work over Internet connections from one location to another). File sharing is not a option because a fault on one computer can take the whole network down.

I have used TCP/IP connections for years using real Acorn computers and Virtual Acorn (and Sun Solaris) with no problems. It is a real shame that I can not get it to work on the Raspberry Pi.

I should also have said that the transfers neet to take place unattended in real time.

jojopi

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Sandgrounder wrote:I have tried using FTP and I have tried using Wget. In both cases I get corruption of the data.
Can you be more specific about the corruption? Could it be line ending or character encoding conversion, applied incorrectly?

DavidS

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Yes since you say that it only happens between RISC OS and Rasbian on the RPi, what FTP server are you using on Rasbian? And have you tried it from another RISC OS system and Rasbian?

nr.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:15 pm

I routinely backup my RISC OS pi to a Raspbian pi with no problem at all. At the moment I'm using AccessPlusPy [1] on the Raspbian Pi, and ShareFS on RISC OS which works nicely. Previously I used !Omni on the RISC OS machine to connect to a Samba share exported from the Raspbian Pi. Both work equally well, I just like the simplicity of ShareFS - just enable it from !Configure.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/mjwoodcock/accesspluspython-dev
--
nr.

Burngate

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Sandgrounder wrote:...VRPC-SA to Raspbian (pi) is OK...
Don't forget - VRPC uses the Windows IP stack

microbitsuk

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Have you tried to change the buffer on risc os by typing
*ShareFSWindow 1

Sandgrounder

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:01 pm

jojopi wrote:
Sandgrounder wrote:I have tried using FTP and I have tried using Wget. In both cases I get corruption of the data.
Can you be more specific about the corruption? Could it be line ending or character encoding conversion, applied incorrectly?
The files being transfered are data files created on the RiscOS computer. If I run the transfer of one file multiple times then I never get the same data twice. Small blocks of the data at varying offsets in the file get randomly replaced by other bits of data.

All parts of the data always look as though they have come from the RiscOS end of the transfer. (ie I can recognise the contents as from RiscOS even though they may not be part of the original file.)

Sandgrounder

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:11 pm

DavidS wrote:Yes since you say that it only happens between RISC OS and Rasbian on the RPi, what FTP server are you using on Rasbian? And have you tried it from another RISC OS system and Rasbian?
The server is always at theRiscOS end of the transfer, with the Raspbian being the Client. My prefered server on the RiscOS computer is to use !WebJames, with Wget on the Raspbian client. This works fine with RiscOS on a real Acorn computer and on VRPC.

It also works fine if I use RiscOS (pi) as the server and Sun Solaris as the client.

As well as using !WebJames as the server, I have tied using !FTPs as the RiscOS server and a standard FTP client on the Raspbian with equally unsatisfactory results. As before the combination works fine with any other systems.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To everybody else, thank you for your answers, but ShareFS is not an option as it can lock up the whole network under fault conditions. This software has to run unattended for days at a time.

As I said, I have had it all running using VRPC (or a real Acorn computer) at the server end and either Raspbian (pi) or Sun Solaris on the Client.

Return to “RISCOS”