qwerty1287

Re: Can i use raspberry pi mainly for web browsing?

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:20 pm

and play some games on facebook.

abishur

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:24 pm

The r-pi will use a full Linux OS so yes web browsing and facebook will work on it
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

qwerty1287

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 pm

will it be very laggy?

Warringer

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:54 pm

About as laggy as it would be on a smartphone, I would guess.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:56 pm

Warringer said:

Laggy is more to do with network bandwidth than CPU power. Average web browsing over a wireless link on the alpha board was OK, better than the Smartphones I have tried.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Narishma

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:21 pm

JamesH said:

Warringer said:

Laggy is more to do with network bandwidth than CPU power. Average web browsing over a wireless link on the alpha board was OK, better than the Smartphones I have tried.

While that's technically true, in my experience most people will use the word in any situation where there is choppiness or a lack of responsiveness and fluidity, whether it has to do with networking or not.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:49 pm

It shouldn't be a problem.

You can use it for office productivity too.

And programming.  Its a pretty versatile little beast. 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Huulivoide

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Regular webbrowsing won't be a problem really, just use a browser that has a add-blocking plugin if you like to have several tabs open.

Facebook gaming might not be so easy, quite most of the games are in flash. Flash in Linux is not in so good shape in general, and there isin't ARM port avaible publically. So no Farm ville or Pet ville in R?.

0rphu

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Maybe my information is not actual and I'll will be very happy if I was proven wrong on this, but IIRC there is no X acceleration (yet). Without X acceleration, you can't expect much "fluidity". From my experience with device based on Telechips 8902 SoC, the linux desktop without X acceleration was really sluggish. The ARM was only running at 540MHz, but still... As I'm not a facebook user, I don't know whether the facebook games are flash based. It might be a problem if they are, again IIRC the flash is not supported (yet) and I don't know whether it will be considering the recent statement from Adobe regarding ARM (un)support.

I'd like to stress that I'm not trying to bash the Raspi here, as a matter of fact I'm looking forward to owning one. If my information is incorrect, please correct me.

cnxsoft

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:04 am

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think flash games will work.

You'd better avoid using multitab in Chrome browser (no Firefox for ARMv6 as I understand it), because of the memory issue. There are also some other lightweight web browser, but not as supported as the last two.

OrbDemon

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 am

Why is there no Firefox for ARM 6?

Forgive my ignorance but could someone not compile a version of Firefox Mobile for RasPi?

jaygee

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:46 am

It might be quite handy for online banking. Starting from a clean boot should ensure no keyloggers or other trojans to steal login information. Any reasons against this?

kuba

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:54 am

OrbDemon said:

You can search here: http://packages.debian.org/squ...../iceweasel

There are many debian packages already compiled for ARM architecture. Just see armel link: http://packages.debian.org/squ.....l/download

The best part of it: you can omit apt manager and just extract deb file to proper directory with ar program and then run preinst and postinst scripts from control file.

dattaway

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:32 pm

An old 100MHz 486dx computer on a dialup line running x-windows  under 16MB of memory can be faster than a modern computer.  It's all about managing resources effectively.  Sometimes layers upon layers of abstraction and rich content detracts from the original purpose of our experience.

Blars

Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:29 pm

kuba said:

The best part of it: you can omit apt manager and just extract deb file to proper directory with ar program and then run preinst and postinst scripts from control file.
Why?  If you want to do the downloads manually, why don't you just use dpkg to do the install for you?

I do recomend using a package manager to do things like checking signatures and checksums for most users.  (I'm a DD, and use dpkg to install packages occasionally, but not usually.)

Cyclops91

Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:51 pm

My first thought was to use an R-pi as a web browser for the kitchen TV - handy for recipes etc - no doubt this will work, but then I thought what about using it for iplayer instead of having to plug in a laptop if we want to watch something we have missed on TV?  However doesn't BBC iplayer use Flash? - and therefore won't work with Debian....  Am I right in thinking this - has anyone got any thoughts?

OrbDemon

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:33 pm

The browser version uses Flash, but there is a version called iPlayer Desktop which is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Whether they could compile it for ARM is another matter - it's not open source, but if there was the demand, they may be able to do it.

It looks like some folks have tried - and had some success...

http://linuxcentre.net/getipla.....stallation

kme

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:14 pm

Cyclops91 said:

However doesn't BBC iplayer use Flash? - and therefore won't work with Debian....  Am I right in thinking this - has anyone got any thoughts?

Debian has Adobe Flash Player as most Linuces. You just have to activate the non-free repro, which is trivial. I don't understand why people get such weird ideas.

Tomo2k

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Raspberry Pi is not an x86 device.

Thus it requires a lot more than Adobe Flash Player simply being in the repo – it has to be an ARM v6 version as well.

It's the same reason WINE will not work.

doglitbug

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:35 pm

Pity, as if I recall correctly, there was a Firefox 2 for ARM way back when.

I think of of the Firefox developers I know is interested in getting a RasPi, so it might be an option once there is demand for it.

foo

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:22 pm

Some popular gaming sites like pogo.com also make heavy use of Java applets for games, so that's another thing to consider in terms of researching compatibility and performance.

cnxsoft

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:55 pm

OrbDemon said:

Forgive my ignorance but could someone not compile a version of Firefox Mobile for RasPi?

Firefox dropped Android support for ARMv6 processor https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platfor ... imental.29.

But the desktop version may already work in Debian armel, I'll try to check later in the emulator.

reiuyi

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:44 pm

dattaway said:

An old 100MHz 486dx computer on a dialup line running x-windows  under 16MB of memory can be faster than a modern computer.  It's all about managing resources effectively.  Sometimes layers upon layers of abstraction and rich content detracts from the original purpose of our experience.

This. I never understood why a webbrowser should use 100+mb of ram. I might be a novice programmer, but even I understand sparse memory management. My windows 7 laptop with 4gb of ram IDLES at 2gb with Superfetch OFF. How hard can it be to save an html page and all its images into ram (this is 2mb maximum per tab) and just rerender it when the tab becomes active? Surely rendering an html page should not be an issue for a 700mhz computer, let alone on a modern multicore >2ghz design! This should by far be faster than saving a rendered page into the pagefile and fetching the 100mb from the harddrive or ssd when the page becomes active again (in times of ram sparseness). Actually, this is exactly what the old ipod touch used to do (though mobile safari still does it I guess; but the newer models have more ram so it's less apparent).

It sickens me to think we got used to the fact reading a webpage requires a fat dualcore with multiple gigabytes of ram. This mindset is so persistent it even entered into the world of mobile phones. I've been seeing phones with a gigabyte of ram and multiple cores in the ARM processors. Seriously, why? Why all those wasted resources? Writing better and more efficient code is so much cheaper than producing better hardware to run it on!

Some guy from a private torrent tracker built "Micro XP", a very small stripped down version of Windows XP which retains most of its drivers. It idles at just 50mb of ram and it's the fastest operating system you'll ever see. "Micro XP" will not work on Raspberry Pi, but I am convinced linux- systems like Puppy Linux and DSL can create a Pi-compatible distribution that'll allow you to browse the internet and use flash within 128mb of ram (this is model A; the model which will primarily sell to schools I presume).

rallisf1

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:41 am

Micro XP and any other similar Customised Windows Version will not run on any ARM based device, but Android and the upcoming Windows 8 will run just fine assuming the Rapsberry engineers publish all the necessary drivers to do so and then some IT geek intergrates them to Android and Windows 8 custom builds, maybe with a nice Raspberry booting logo etc.

There's much fuss about software compatibility issues without even the device being available for sale (the 10 beta boards on ebay do not count). I'm sure everyone will buy a Rapsberry just to try it. I mean come on most people buy 100$ devices that they don't need and then stuff them in some box in their garage; who won't buy a Raspberry? By summer i bet Raspberry can do for a soho computer replacement running android or windows 8 or even some new google os.

cnxsoft

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:28 pm

cnxsoft said:

OrbDemon said:

Firefox dropped Android support for ARMv6 processor https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platfor ... imental.29.

But the desktop version may already work in Debian armel, I'll try to check later in the emulator.

I confirm I cannot install Firefox with apt-get in the emulator.

Return to “General discussion”