scep

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Canuck said:

Why are all the mods here conservative pickle bags.

We go on a special Pickle Bag training course.

psergiu

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Are there Liberal Pickle Bags ? How do those pickles taste ?

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Somehow or other I seem to have fractured my ribs. Not exactly sure how on earth I did it especially as the fractures are mostly on my back. but it does explain why i have felt like s*** for the last two weeks and was unable to travel for our normal christmas trip upstate and had to stay home while wife and kid went. I didn't want to spoil their christmas and it did mean I finally got to control the remote control as the cats really don't care what they watch so they and I had an agatha christie, sherlock holmes and british tv marathon (anyone else watch the RI Christmas lectures this year?)

What sucks though is the wife and kid came back before I had a chance to change the locks or move and now I have to give up control of the remote and actually converse with them

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Ribs? Ow. Commiserations. My brother did that once, but we were very clear on how he fractured them: it was when he fell off a table he was dancing on drunkenly in a nightclub.

RI Christmas Lectures were, as always, good fun. Felt sorry for plump little girl in audience accidentally made to look plumper by being asked to stare downwards into the camera, then projected a million times life-size onto the screen at the back of the hall, and was impressed by the girl who didn't bat an eyelid over the rubber arm trick.

(Edited because this was not a vent before: there are bloody pine needles everywhere.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Canuck said:

Because we haven't been on the a**ehole training course YET.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:04 pm

liz said:

Ribs? Ow. Commiserations. My brother did that once, but we were very clear on how he fractured them: it was when he fell off a table he was dancing on drunkenly in a nightclub.

RI Christmas Lectures were, as always, good fun. Felt sorry for plump little girl in audience accidentally made to look plumper by being asked to stare downwards into the camera, then projected a million times life-size onto the screen at the back of the hall, and was impressed by the girl who didn"t bat an eyelid over the rubber arm trick.

(Edited because this was not a vent before: there are bloody pine needles everywhere.)

I have spent hours looking in a mirror trying to see if i can see my eyes moving. it sucks that he was right and you can't see them move. i hate smartalec scientists.

@liz At least you were able to have a tree. we couldn't put one up because of the cats. it's bad enough with them climbing all the doors and knocking stuff of shelves so giving them a tree to hunt each other from wouldn't be a good idea. The last christmas tree we had we had to leave up all year (sans decorations) because "funny-funny" & "Mike the lizard"  (an iguana and a waterdragon) both liked to sit in it all day. However i'll give you 7 out of 10 because at least you had a real tree and not a tacky fake one although if you'd had one with the roots on you'd have had a very tiny pine needle problem and i'd have been able to give you 10 out of 10

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:06 pm

JamesH said:

Canuck said:

Because we haven't been on the a**ehole training course YET.

when is that? I might have to reschedule as it's a bit hard to sit for long periods at the moment. I did complete the "complete and utter b******" course though so it's not as if i am not certified

pauldow

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:11 pm

I think I need another English to English translation. How does a "pickle bag" describe someone's personality?

I tried searching on Google, and even on the British version, Goougle, but didn't find anything except actual paper bags to hold pickles.

liz

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:17 pm

It mean that on the outside we are brown and crinkly, but inside we are sour and green, with a pleasingly firm but juicy texture. At least, I'm assuming that that's what it means.

Wooloomooloo

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Canuck said:

I'd bet it's because they read too many BOFH stories.

scep

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 pm

pauldow said:

I tried searching on Google, and even on the British version, Goougle, but didn't find anything except actual paper bags to hold pickles.

You may need to use the Canadian version, Googleh

johnbeetem

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 pm

pauldow said:

I think I need another English to English translation. How does a "pickle bag" describe someone's personality?

I tried USA Google and got an Urban Dictionary definition of "picklebag" as meaning a condom.  Wiktionary lists "pickle" as a slang term for a certain very naughty bit, so that's appropriate.

There's also a Picklebag Park in Arlington, Virginia

johnbeetem

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:32 pm

pauldow said:

Perhaps it's derived from the Dutch term "prikkelbaar" which means "peevish and cross".  It's one of my mother's favorite words, and she used it liberally when I was a surly teen-ager.

Mushroom_Lord

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:35 pm

The people in the opposite direction of a narrow country road who just dtop in the middle of the road and don't dip their lights -.-

Liz: To help remove "noobs" make all new applicants to the forums complete the Towers of Hanoi ( I also think some more advanced math is required for posting )

mengel

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:55 am

OK-I can't stand it any more. Will you idiots that can't read, write coherently or spell please go the f**k away !  AND GET OFF MY LAWN !!!!!!

riffraff

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:16 am

Mushroom_Lord said:

Liz: To help remove "noobs" make all new applicants to the forums complete the Towers of Hanoi ( I also think some more advanced math is required for posting )

Might be more than the little plug in can handle. It obviously doesn't believe in the law of commutativity. For some reason it thinks:

6 + 11 = 17

and

11 + 6 = Something else all together

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 am

mengel said:

Database Error
Error establishing a database connection

Well, I'm sure that wasn't quite what he said....  
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:27 am

mengel said:

OK-I can't stand it any more. Will you idiots that can't read, write coherently or spell please go the f**k away !  AND GET OFF MY LAWN !!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm….  You've just been on /.?

My suck of the day is the common or garden computer mouse.  I've found that (in my hands at least) they die in months.  Even optical ones.  The one I have at present moves the mouse cursor from the top-left to the bottom-right ON ITS OWN…  Sometimes its amusing to watch the little pointer vibrate across the screen without touching the mouse, but at other times, (for example) when highlighting text, its a bloody nuisance.

Of course, mechanical mice had an even shorter life expectancy….

5+1?  Its SIX I tell you!  SIX!!!

(edit for typos)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

animemanguy

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:32 am

rob YOU suck

Wooloomooloo

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:49 am

Jongoleur said:

My suck of the day is the common or garden computer mouse.  I"ve found that (in my hands at least) they die in months.  Even optical ones.  The one I have at present moves the mouse cursor from the top-left to the bottom-right ON ITS OWN…  Sometimes its amusing to watch the little pointer vibrate across the screen without touching the mouse, but at other times, (for example) when highlighting text, its a bloody nuisance.

I'd consider changing the mouse mat used - my mouse can just as easily start migrating on its own, if I lift one corner slightly (=it can't reliably pick up the surface anymore). If multiple mice did that to you, it might just be the surface at fault (too featureless). Or, you could try cleaning the lens a bit with a cotton swab.

liz

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:30 am

Whenever that happens to me, it turns out to be cat hair.

mightygoose

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:49 am

what sucks is that i already have a preprepared post to copypasta... to the effect of....

"Hello new poster, welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums, Your question is covered in the FAQ found [here], and the forum introduction can be found [here]. We are happy to answer any new questions you might have, but this question has already been answered innumerably elsewhere.

Note: We are grumpy and do not like repeating ourselves.

Regards"

........ just figure it will save me time in the long run.

liz

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:22 am

I have a cold. And I have a 12-hour flight to take tomorrow. Ugh.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:12 pm

liz said:

I have a cold. And I have a 12-hour flight to take tomorrow. Ugh.

you seem to have been getting colds a lot this winter. sure it's not just allergies. maybe you are allergic to raspberry pi

simonIOW

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Arghh, my TV has only one HDMI input...

Gah, I'll have to buy a splitter, or forego sky HD...

Does that count as a rant?

Return to “Off topic discussion”