gsi095

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi,

I ran the set up and could see the Logitech Server and also the Airplay client but overnight the Pi is now not contactable via ssh or appearing on the network using Fing on my iPhone.

It is plugged into the router no wifi.

Did I miss something?

Dave

Trixster

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 pm

I've just taken delivery of another pi for use with my second hifi.

With LMS running on the first Pi (streaming Flacs and mp3s off a NAS) I've got a setup in the lounge with a SquuezeBox Touch attached to the main hifi, and now a second pi in the loft running SqueezeLite to server another hifi. With sync turned on the house is pretty much sorted for music! :P :)

Analogue-out from the pi to the amp is fine for the moment (I can't discern any clicks or pops) but I'm awaiting delivery of a USB PCM2704 dac to feed my Beresford 7510 DAC via toslink. Then we'll hopefully be sorted!

Oh, I've also swapped SqueezePlug from a 256mb Pi to a 512mb one - the web ui on port 9000 for LMS seems to run much quicker now.

castalla

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:16 pm

I've just added Squeezeplayer for Android to an Archos Home Connect ... using LMS on Pi gives a nice portable mini internet radio & music player :) :) :)

julianp13

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:47 am

Has anyone tried to use one of these to get optical audio from a Raspberry Pi? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380432607991? ... 1423.l2649

Cut-Throat

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 pm

I just got a Pi yesterday and downloaded Squeezeplug and LMS. I can see that the LMS is running when I view the various servers through the setup menu. I cannot however, get the LMS to open in a browser by the http://squeezeplug:9000 or by using the IP address. I have studied the video tutorial, but just cannot seem to get the last step.

My ultimate goal is to use the Pi like the other SBTs in my House. I have 3 of them with the LMS running on a single desktop. So I am guessing that all I need is squeezeslave which I also installed. Everything seemed to have worked fine, and I feel that I am very close.

One question that I have is that my 3 other Squeezebox Touches are named SBT1, SBT2, SBT3 ......I can not figure out where to give the Pi a name that will show up in LMS like the other SBTs.

I could use a bit of help...thanks :?

nickr

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:18 pm

julianp13 wrote:Has anyone tried to use one of these to get optical audio from a Raspberry Pi? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380432607991? ... 1423.l2649
It is cheap enough to try one and see isn't it? Looks interesting, please let us know how it goes.

Cut-Throat

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:09 pm

I thought I'd try another approach....... I did manage to get the Pi working with LMS.....

But I cannot figure out how to get the Pi to use the Music Library on my Main System, where I have the LMS running. I'm not sure what I need to install on the Pi. LMS, Slave or ???

When I start LMS on main system, I can see my 3 Squeezebox Touches....SBT1, SBT2 and SBT3......I would like to see my raspberry Pi, but I don't have a clue how to do this, despite a few hours searching this forum and the net.

Can someone here help me with this??? :?

castalla

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Just what are you trying to do? Your account is very confusing.

When you install Squeezeplug, you have various options. You can install LMS on the Pi, you can install squeezelite player, etc.

Just what have you done?

It sounds to me that you have LMS running on another PC somewhere?

The basic system is LMS on a PC to which the players (Touch, squeezelite, etc) are attached & have access to the music library specified in LMS. Of course, you can also use the Pi as a LMS machine - but you then have to set up LMS using the web gui access.

edit: looks like you need to install Squeezelite player. Once this done, and you reboot then you should see squeezelite as another player. From what you've written earlier, you don't actually need LMS on the Pi.

You need to install Squeezeplay on another PC, or use one of the android apps to control how Squeezelite behaves as another player.

Cut-Throat

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 am

I do have LMS running on another PC. What I want to do is just use the Pi as another player that is 'seen' by the LMS running on the PC.

So, then do I remove LMS from the Pi and just install Squeezelite ?

Thanks.

castalla

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:38 am

Yes.

You don't need LMS - you already have it on another PC.

Be aware that the Squeezelite version in Squeezeplug may not be the latest version.

Once it's installed then you can control it using one of your Touch players - in Settings, Choose Player. Not the best way to control it, but until you install Squeezeplay on a desktop PC, or one of the android Logitech controller apps, then at least you can get it working.

Cut-Throat

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 am

castalla wrote:Yes.

You don't need LMS - you already have it on another PC.

Be aware that the Squeezelite version in Squeezeplug may not be the latest version.

Once it's installed then you can control it using one of your Touch players - in Settings, Choose Player. Not the best way to control it, but until you install Squeezeplay on a desktop PC, or one of the android Logitech controller apps, then at least you can get it working.
Ok, Thanks....These are all new terms to me, and I have a few questions.

1.) How do I get the latest version of Squeezelite?
2.) I have never used Squeezeplay, just LMS......What is the main purpose of Squeezeplay? And I cannot seem to find it to download it anywhere.

castalla

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:02 am

1, Install whatever squeezeplug offers. Updating is a bit technical! get it working first before worrying about updates.

2. Squeezeplay is a software control prgram you can run on your PC - it looks quite similar to the Touch display, so you shuld be able to use it without too much problem. You can download it at http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.7

I assume you are using Windows? Then install SqueezePlay: Windows Executable Installer on your PC.

Cut-Throat

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:22 am

OK, I'll give all this stuff a whril...

One thing I am confused about is why I would need Squeezeplay to control the Pi?......I was thinking I could control it with LMS that is running on the PC.....That's how I control all of my other Squeezebox Touches.

castalla

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 am

If you're happy to use LMS then stick with that - I just find it clumsy compared to Squeezeplay!

Squeezelite will appear as a player called Squeezelite within LMS!

Cut-Throat

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks castalla ! All systems are now a Go !

Now, How do I get the latest version of Squeezelite updated to my Pi :?:

castalla

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Several steps:

1. Download the armv6hf file to your PC from:

http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list

2. Use winSCP to access the Pi as 'root' with 'nosoup4u'.

Look in /usr/bin ..... rename the file squeezelite to squeezelite.bak

3. Copy the downloaded file to /usr/bin .... rename it to squeezelite

4. Set the squeezelite file properties to group & owner root . and Octal to 755

4. Reboot

If you are familiar with linux, then you should be able to accomplish the above via command line. I use winSCP because I can actually see what I'm doing!

Good luck.

Cut-Throat

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:48 pm

OK, Updated Squeezlite and it is working ! Without winSCP , I would have been lost as I know nothing about Linux. Thanks!

One thing I noticed is that Pandora will not run on the Pi using LMS. Even though the Pandora App is just a plugin on LMS. I get the following error message:

You must be a subscriber to use Pandora from this device.

However, I can change my player to another SBT on my network and it will play just fine. Internet radio however works fine on the Pi. Do you know why Pandora won't work?

castalla

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Sorry ... no idea! Spotify plugin won't work either because it's not 'hard-float' compatible. Maybe it the same for Pandora?

Truehl is going to release 2 different versions - hf and sf. So maybe the situation will change then.

truehl

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:12 pm

castalla wrote:Sorry ... no idea! Spotify plugin won't work either because it's not 'hard-float' compatible. Maybe it the same for Pandora?

Truehl is going to release 2 different versions - hf and sf. So maybe the situation will change then.
I hope it will be ready before X-MAS! Spotify runs fine on the Soft-Float version! Pandora, I don't know!

There will be two versions: Hard-Float for best performance and Soft-Float for maximum compatibility. Both version are build on the official foundation images!

I'm also developing a script to make a SqueezePlug out of a normal foundation images.

Things are all running fine, I'm working hard to get it all ready before X-MAS. The new releases will be named SqueezePlug 6.00. There will be no update patch from version 5.

The videos and the Wiki are out of date. It will take some more time to get these things updated. But I'm sure, the new version will be self explaining, so that's not a big thing!

Have fun!
Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

drgeoff

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Cut-Throat wrote: One thing I noticed is that Pandora will not run on the Pi using LMS. Even though the Pandora App is just a plugin on LMS. I get the following error message:

You must be a subscriber to use Pandora from this device.

However, I can change my player to another SBT on my network and it will play just fine. Internet radio however works fine on the Pi. Do you know why Pandora won't work?
I don't know the specifics of Pandora as, being in the UK, I just get a page saying something like "Sorry, Pandora is not available in your country". But I do know that many of the services which offer "free" access on PCs do so because they can place adverts within your field of view and hence generate some income. On internet radios and other such 'non web browser' devices, they cannot do that and limit access to paying subscribers.

Cut-Throat

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:14 pm

drgeoff wrote: I don't know the specifics of Pandora as, being in the UK, I just get a page saying something like "Sorry, Pandora is not available in your country". But I do know that many of the services which offer "free" access on PCs do so because they can place adverts within your field of view and hence generate some income. On internet radios and other such 'non web browser' devices, they cannot do that and limit access to paying subscribers.
Not the case with Pandora......The ads are audio and it works fine on the Squeezebox Touch. It is a plug-in with LMS.

Cut-Throat

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 am

However MOG works just fine with the Raspberry Pi, which is a good thing because that is what I use about 95% of the time!

castalla

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:55 am

Starting Squeezelite

Can someone tell me where I need to look to edit the startup file for Squeezelite?

I want to specify some options.

castalla

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 pm

castalla wrote:Starting Squeezelite

Can someone tell me where I need to look to edit the startup file for Squeezelite?

I want to specify some options.
If it helps anyone else, the solution is here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post729534

Trixster

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Speaking of SqueezeLite (which is brilliant btw), is there a way to get it to play radio streams, such as bbc 5 live when using the TuneIn Radio app in LMS? At the moment it just says that the stream is unsupported.

Return to “Media centres”