liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Logo competition winner announced!

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Head to the front page to learn more. Phew.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

euxneks

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Any runner up posts? :) I like the new logo, simple and neat. It\'s grown on me.

obarthelemy

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:57 am

Nice Logo. Congratulations to Paul, and the cat-herders.

Burngate

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:54 am

Like it!... where\'s the favicon?
Strewn round my desktop are links to various sites, each using its favicon to ID it.
Up till now RPi.org has had the generic icon.
I want the proper one! and I want it NOW! No excuses! You\'ve had 13 hours to put it there! Where is it?

hippy

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Congratulations to the winner.

Now we have the logo, do we have Logo Usage Guidelines ?

That is; who is allowed to use the logo and in what manner, especially given the logo is copyright protected and is or will become a trademark, possibly registered trademark ?

I\'m sure everyone will want to use the logo with everything R-Pi related but that carries the danger of anything having the R-Pi logo being seen as being officially sanctioned or from the R-Pi foundation itself rather than something from an individual being for the R-Pi.

Mr_Navigator

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Good job Paul, well done.

Like a lot of other people mikie and a few others including myself are now keen to see some other entries (cue Take Hart gallery music), while we are waiting for the official gallery, here\'s something I made earlier :)

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQHCZcXP80o[/embed]

[img]http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... onitor.gif[/img][/quote]

gingerbeardman

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Nicely done. :)

tnelsond

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:06 pm

Nice video.

Gabriel

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:14 pm

This logo isn\'t looking bad but I don\'t know why I don\'t like it very much, maybe the colours or the form of the leafs, I hope I will accustom :)
Anyway congratulations Paul ;)
I\'m waiting for the favicon too !
My home-made case : http://goo.gl/nprcI ; My presentation http://goo.gl/5hSar et en français : http://goo.gl/28Vif ; Please think to the FAQ and to the Wiki

abishur

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:35 am

I feel like the issue facing a lot of us was the time it took to announce the winner. It created such a sense of build up and anticipation that by the end anything less than Michelangelo\'s David produced a sense of \"That\'s it?\" Of course, it didn\'t hurt anything that most of us had a vested interested in wanting to win the contest ;) Congratulations, Paul!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:37 am

The Favicon\'s up, but depending on your browser you may have to clear your cache (Safari) or bookmark the site (IE) to see it. Chrome and Firefox should be fine. I\'m amazed at how dumb the way IE handles favicons appears to be; basically, unless you\'ve bookmarked something it doesn\'t even bother reading the file. And Safari decides that if it\'s already seen a site that its favicon (or lack thereof) is unchanging and eternal, so it doesn\'t ever need to check to see if it\'s changed. *Bangs head on wall*.

E

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:21 am

This is possibly a bit of a cheeky ask, but would it be possible to make the vector file available? I\'d like to import it into ViaCAD so I can emboss it on the top of the 3d printed case I\'ve got in mind.

obarthelemy

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Once again, nothing about Opera. Listen world: Opera is displaying the favicon correctly, and I didn\'t have to do anything !

Also, Opera allows me to force any site\'s colors to the beautiful scheme in the following picture. OK, it\'s ugly, but very easy on the eyes ^^

[IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/302/favicontf.png[/IMG]

Lakes

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:26 pm

[quote]Quote from E on October 10, 2011, 10:21
This is possibly a bit of a cheeky ask, but would it be possible to make the vector file available? I\'d like to import it into ViaCAD so I can emboss it on the top of the 3d printed case I\'ve got in mind.[/quote]The vector file would be nice to play with for engraving cases etc.

I`ve been playing with inkscape to trace the bitmap and its mostly ok.

E

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:54 pm

[quote]Quote from Lakes on October 27, 2011, 17:26
[quote]Quote from E on October 10, 2011, 10:21
This is possibly a bit of a cheeky ask, but would it be possible to make the vector file available? I\'d like to import it into ViaCAD so I can emboss it on the top of the 3d printed case I\'ve got in mind.[/quote]The vector file would be nice to play with for engraving cases etc.

I`ve been playing with inkscape to trace the bitmap and its mostly ok.[/quote]
Yes, I tried tracing it in Inkscape, but it found it would need quite a bit of cleaning up, as I got a lot of errors once it was in ViaCAD. I could just trace it by hand, but I was being lazy ;)

Johannes

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:24 pm

About the favicon: Considering that Microsoft established the practice of putting a customizable icon there, the handling of favicons by Internet Explorer can be seen as the definitive way. This web site specifies a type of \"image/x-ico\", which isn\'t the official mime-type of Microsoft\'s icon format, but it isn\'t one of the customary non-standard types either. The closest one is \"image/x-icon\". Perhaps that\'s why IE doesn\'t handle the favicon on this web site as expected. Also, old IEs expect a link relation of (exactly) \"shortcut icon\", which is now an allowed but deprecated relation. The web server for raspberrypi.org doesn\'t send cache management headers. That causes many clients to calculate expiration based on the time a resource hasn\'t changed: The longer a file hasn\'t changed when the client looks, the longer the client will go without looking again. A reasonable expiration time can help a lot if you need to change resources without using new URLs.

euxneks

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:59 pm

[quote]Quote from Johannes on October 31, 2011, 16:24
About the favicon: Considering that Microsoft established the practice of putting a customizable icon there, the handling of favicons by Internet Explorer can be seen as the definitive way. [/quote]

Well, one could probably debate that, especially given that it somehow shows up when you bookmark the site. Also, deprecation means it won\'t be used in the future (i.e. don\'t use it, or IE: Don\'t use it!). This is the more important factor in my opinion. :)

gingerbeardman

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Any chance of seeing the runners-up?

abishur

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:03 pm

I had asked that same question over in the Logo competition thread :) The long and short is maybe eventually :( Basically, they\'re trying to get everything worked out here with the winning logo and now would be a bad time to gum the works up with all the runners up (I\'m a computer guy, I don\'t really get that side of logistics so I\'m probably not explain it very well of fully) . Adding to that is the rather negative opinion from a lot of the people who didn\'t win which makes the r-pi team reluctant to show the runner-ups lest they get a whole new wave of \"What were you idiots thinking, that runner up was a lot better than the winner!!1!!11!\". Which sadly I\'m afraid they already got a lot of just showing the winning logo at all! I guess this needs to be a lesson on loosing with grace? I knew I should have watched those G.I. Joe messages at the end of the cartoons! :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Indeed - closing this thread now, because Abishur basically covers it. We may display the runners up some time in the future, but the s***storm of hurt feelings that ensued after the winner was announced made us think twice about doing it any time soon. We\'ll give you guys some time to get used to the logo and see it in operation before we show the runners up.

Return to “General discussion”