NormanDunbar

Re: Gertboard Assembly Thread

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 am

AforAlex wrote:The SMD's all look the same, or very similar, and I can't see which ones go where. I've got 4 bags i'm trying to work out, they are 1833825, 117=9460, 1759252 and 175-9265. Is there a key somewhere I am missing ... What am I missing?
If you want one, I've created a parts list, cross referecned to the assembly manual pages where they are fitted. Might help?

http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/201 ... arts-list/

Cheers,
Norm.
Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Why did Tarzan never have a beard?

add1ct3dd

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:08 am

Built mine up yesterday, finally got it from Farnell :)

I was testing the buttons yesterday using the guide from the User Manual, LEDS 1 & 2 worked fine, click the button and the LED goes off. But LED 3 never lit up at all?

I've played around with the LED tests and the 3rd LED works fine, so I'm thinking I have a bad solder join somewhere? What do you guys think? If so where do you think it would be? It looks to be ok on the LED, so I'm guessing the controller or capacitor?

Thanks

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:12 am

Replying to Norman's parts list (excellent idea).

This is where the Tandy packaging system really comes into its own. No little bags. It's all heat-sealed into a sleeve in the right order for assembly. Obviously there's labour involved in that, but it was much appreciated. Just snip off the next section each time you complete a stage. Brilliant idea. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:13 am

...or switch 3 perhaps? If you have a meter, you could check the voltage at the switch when pressed and compare it to one of the working switches (when pressed).

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

MikePW

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks guys. The 25W it will be. I had a feeling my old 15W would have been too weedy. Mind you I bet I find it again soon after I get the new one :lol:
I've cleared out the little bedroom now and it is going to be my new computing/electronic lab. Thats if I can stop the wife treating it as a walk in wardrobe.

add1ct3dd

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:27 pm

texy wrote:...or switch 3 perhaps? If you have a meter, you could check the voltage at the switch when pressed and compare it to one of the working switches (when pressed).

Texy
I'll give it a go cheers.

Just tested it again and it seemed to be fine!

Could it be an issue with static or something?

Hoping to perform some more tests tonight!

pmj1979

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:40 pm

I have just started soldering the first components to the Gertboard and got as far as C17 before one of the silver "pads" on the board itself peeled back. It was stuck to one end of the capacitors and when the other end was soldered down it see saw'd off the base. :shock: It didnt come right off, it was still hinged somewhere but I dont know how its all connected, whether its all still where it should be and simply loose now.

How can I check before going any further that I haven't just ruined the board?

I removed the cap as best I could and the image in the link (64K max attachment size!?) is the best I could get with an iPhone aimed through a magnifying glass.

I cant make out how the components next to it connect or whether its possible, although far from ideal, to bodge past this pad if I connect the capacitor to its next hop on the board?

http://i30.servimg.com/u/f30/15/60/08/03/c1710.jpg
Pi from Element14 (still not got the first Pi from RS :( )
Rev2 board | Belkin 7Port powered hub | ASUS N10 WiFi | Logitech Wired Mouse | Behavior Tech Wired KB

domesday

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:01 pm

You are not the only one to damage the pad for C17 see this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 42&t=19128

pmj1979

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks! Ive asked in there too.

...looks like I can just jump top C17 to top R24 though?

http://raspi.tv/wp-content/uploads/2012 ... tBoard.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/483/pcbavrpict.gif
Pi from Element14 (still not got the first Pi from RS :( )
Rev2 board | Belkin 7Port powered hub | ASUS N10 WiFi | Logitech Wired Mouse | Behavior Tech Wired KB

TykeTinkerer

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:01 pm

A big thank you to you Gert. Finished assembling my board a couple of days ago and have run the buttons, leds and butled test programs. Will be trying to run the other test programs this weekend. The soldering certainly isn't pretty but it's my first real soldering project so I'm really pleased it seems to be working.
For anybody who hasn't started yet, perhaps this might be useful. Bought one today from Lidl but wish I had had it a couple of days ago -

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... _35462.htm

zenbike

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:45 pm

So, I'm also soldering up my Gertboard. Managed to place one of the IC sockets backwards.

Suggestions for removal without damage?

SN

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:56 pm

alexeames wrote:Replying to Norman's parts list (excellent idea).

This is where the Tandy packaging system really comes into its own. No little bags. It's all heat-sealed into a sleeve in the right order for assembly. Obviously there's labour involved in that, but it was much appreciated. Just snip off the next section each time you complete a stage. Brilliant idea. :D
I agree - the Tandy strip bag sleeve made it a doddle

My recommendation (which no one else has mentioned yet) for construction:-

Build the thing in/on a white tea tray - no chance of tiny components getting lost or falling off the table - in fact I was deliberately pouring a few at a time on to the tray and examining them under my magnifying glass
Something like this
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

add1ct3dd

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:15 pm

SN wrote:
alexeames wrote:Replying to Norman's parts list (excellent idea).

I agree - the Tandy strip bag sleeve made it a doddle

My recommendation (which no one else has mentioned yet) for construction:-

Build the thing in/on a white tea tray - no chance of tiny components getting lost or falling off the table - in fact I was deliberately pouring a few at a time on to the tray and examining them under my magnifying glass
Something like this
To be honest I had no issue with losing components, only open the bags/take them out exactly when you need them and be careful!

I built all of my board on a sponge and didn't lose anything once :D

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:03 pm

zenbike wrote:So, I'm also soldering up my Gertboard. Managed to place one of the IC sockets backwards.

It's very difficult to remove an IC socket. Leave it as it is and mark the new top end with a dab of Tipex so you don't forget.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 am

rurwin wrote:
zenbike wrote:So, I'm also soldering up my Gertboard. Managed to place one of the IC sockets backwards.

It's very difficult to remove an IC socket. Leave it as it is and mark the new top end with a dab of Tipex so you don't forget.
That's a good tip - if you'll pardon the pun! Which socket was it zenbike?

zenbike

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 am

alexeames wrote:
rurwin wrote:

That's a good tip - if you'll pardon the pun! Which socket was it zenbike?
The IC Socket for MC74HC244AN at location U4, just to the right the 3 push buttons, assuming you follow Gert's board orientation from the assembly manual.

Gert also said that all the IC Sockets are directional, but only so that the Pin 1 indicator is in the right place. They are symmetrical in operation, so if you place the chip in the correct orientation, as if the socket was correctly placed, it will still work.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 am

zenbike wrote:The IC Socket for MC74HC244AN at location U4, just to the right the 3 push buttons, assuming you follow Gert's board orientation from the assembly manual.
You'll never need to remove that chip unless you blow it up. It's one of the buffers. Just make sure it's facing the same way as the other two identical chips :)
zenbike wrote:Gert also said that all the IC Sockets are directional, but only so that the Pin 1 indicator is in the right place. They are symmetrical in operation, so if you place the chip in the correct orientation, as if the socket was correctly placed, it will still work.
Yes. The sockets prevent us from destroying the chips when we're soldering. They don't bring much else to the party. :D

SN

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:48 pm

add1ct3dd wrote: To be honest I had no issue with losing components, only open the bags/take them out exactly when you need them and be careful!

I built all of my board on a sponge and didn't lose anything once :D
I used small strips of masking tape to hold the bits in place whilst the board was upside down for soldering rather than Gert's suggested sponge

Oh and I also got an IC holder the wrong way round :oops: I used a CD marker pen at the top end of the holder to redraw the little half moon shape on the board to remind me to put the chip in the right way round
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:53 pm

SN wrote:
add1ct3dd wrote: Oh and I also got an IC holder the wrong way round :oops: I used a CD marker pen at the top end of the holder to redraw the little half moon shape on the board to remind me to put the chip in the right way round
Should have burnt it in with a soldering iron. :lol:

Gert van Loo

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Yes. The sockets prevent us from destroying the chips when we're soldering. They don't bring much else to the party.
Exactly. One of the things that makes the board more expensive then if it was sold ready-made.
It is all a trade-off.

Michael_O

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks to everybody for all the good advice in this thread. I built my board in about three hours yesterday afternoon (happened to be off work for the day and had the kitchen table to myself!).
While I have been interested in electronic projects for many years, it is probably thirty years since I built anything this big. I was a little daunted at first by the number of solder joints to be made but now that it's finished I am delighted that I'm still able for it. I think I would definitely recommend trying to do it all at once to make full use of the initial enthusiasm.

Some comments:
I would not have had the foggiest idea what to do with the SMDs if I hadn't watched Gert's video on how to solder them on the Element 14 site but until the kit is delivered you still have no idea of how small they are. I nearly lost one opening the first set.

When I saw the SMDs I called into my local Maplin and bought a pointed tip for my trusty old 15W Antex. I also picked up a "Helping Hands" magnifier but found that a good desklight and a strong pair of reading glasses were more useful.

I too got the Tandy kit and found their packing invaluable. I followed their packing order in assembly but had Gert's brilliantly detailed instructions to hand at the same time.

The white tea tray is a great idea but I don't have one so I was working on a white sheet of paper on the same principle - I would never have found the missing SMD cap on a sheet of newspaper!
I inspected the solder on the bottom of the board with a magnifying glass later - when my eyes had recovered - and found just one pin I had missed on a resistor array.

I haven't had time to test my work yet so fingers crossed until I do.

Thanks again to everyone and particularly of course to Gert for his design in the first place as well as his continuing contributions to this thread.

zenbikr

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Is it normal for the procedure for testing the 3.3v power on J7 to reboot the Pi? It's very consistently causing it to power cycle or at least to reboot from the color test screen, as if just powered on, when I touch the J7 pin and a ground, or when I place the jumper on J7 to power the board.

I do get 3.31v power on the multimeter.

mister_wavey

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:22 pm

no, not normal.

ChrisMc

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:59 pm

I managed to take the end off the 100uF capacitors when I was trying to tidy up the solder job :(

Min order on farnell is 100 :shock:

I'm pretty sure if someone started a kit, with two spare of all the surface mounted stuff on ebay, they might be popular.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:07 pm

ChrisMc wrote:I managed to take the end off the 100uF capacitors when I was trying to tidy up the solder job :(

Min order on farnell is 100 :shock:

I'm pretty sure if someone started a kit, with two spare of all the surface mounted stuff on ebay, they might be popular.
This (very good) suggestion has been made. I thought the Farnell kits did this as standard?

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”